Cole Swider: Pacers | Page 40 | Syracusefan.com

Cole Swider: Pacers

Love this dude. Sure wish JB asked him to come back for his 5th year. Kid truly bleeds orange after just one year and a losing season at that. Hope he stays close to the program in some capacity for life.
I think JB did him right by telling him he was ready to pursue a professional career. Another year at Cuse wouldn't have improved his chances and he would just have been a year older.

I think JB did him right by telling him he should pursue a professional career. Another year at Cuse wouldn't have improved his chances and he would just have been a year older.

I think with some guys you could argue that but as disciplined as Cole is, and as effective as he was once he really found his groove as a primary option, I think that extra year ( with a really nice NIL package ) wouldn’t have stunted him for a second. That said it doesn’t matter at this point and hope he gets a chance to show his stuff for the Pacers.

I think with some guys you could argue that but as disciplined as Cole is, and as effective as he was once he really found his groove as a primary option, I think that extra year ( with a really nice NIL package ) wouldn’t have stunted him for a second. That said it doesn’t matter at this point and hope he gets a chance to show his stuff for the Pacers.
He was never a draft prospect, so staying school would have cost him money. (He wouldn’t have made the same in NIL, IMO.) Plus, if he gets 3 years in the league, he is in the pension plan, with health insurance.

Last edited:
No chance he makes the roster. Wonder if they have a 2 way available.

He was never a draft prospect, so staying school would have cost him money. (He wouldn’t have made the same in NIL, IMO.) Plus, if he gets 3 years in the league, he is in the pension plan, with health insurance.

I mean then we should just get rid of college basketball then. This could be the answer for thousands of athletes in getting paid sooner playing professionally somewhere and begin earning. Essentially that is what this adds up to.

I don’t think we know his NIL earning potential or other money he could have earned with an extra year of school had he gotten into NewHouse etc etc. Every kid is different and you assume he doesn’t make more because of the extra year which is all a guess. Cole isn’t limited to a basketball only career. Smart kid with a lot going for him. Also not an NBA prospect paired with “if he gets 3 years in the league” doesn’t make sense in your point. To me whatever decision he made was going to work out good for him. No telling which would have been better.

I mean then we should just get rid of college basketball then. This could be the answer for thousands of athletes in getting paid sooner playing professionally somewhere and begin earning. Essentially that is what this adds up to.

I don’t think we know his NIL earning potential or other money he could have earned with an extra year of school had he gotten into NewHouse etc etc. Every kid is different and you assume he doesn’t make more because of the extra year which is all a guess. Cole isn’t limited to a basketball only career. Smart kid with a lot going for him. Also not an NBA prospect paired with “if he gets 3 years in the league” doesn’t make sense in your point. To me whatever decision he made was going to work out good for him. No telling which would have been better.
college ball should just stop pretending to be amateur and make it a pro league with the college branding and affilaite officially with the NBA

no one cares about propriety anymore

Wright opted for Jermaine Samuels over Cole and when Samuels opted for a 5th Covid year, Swider was definitely leaving. Samuels was effective inside the arc not so much from 3 unlike Cole, a very good 3 point shooter.

college ball should just stop pretending to be amateur and make it a pro league with the college branding and affilaite officially with the NBA

no one cares about propriety anymore
Get rid of the whole class and degree thing too right? No point pushing players towards degrees since they all intend to play in the NBA forever.