Coleman = Doghouse? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Coleman = Doghouse?

Ahhh, more victims of the "our good players are always on the bench" syndrome. Or is it, "Why can't Boeheim" figure out how to use more guys in his rotation?"
But Townie, you've been reading the posts. JB can't coach, he needs to move on. :rolleyes:

Agree Rak and Baye played hard today. Especially in the first half they were very aggressive and wanted to win instead of going through the motions.

Its hard for centers to rebound in the 2-3. They tend to challenge shots with a block or are facing away from the rim when opponents come right down the middle of the lane and that gets them out of position for the rebound. And the ones that go to the sides usually go to a forward. They are in a weak side position maybe 10% of the time, one of our forwards is 100% of the time.

But Townie, you've been reading the posts. JB can't coach, he needs to move on. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I know. He needs all the help he can get.

He's got the next Wesley Unseld or Charles "Round Mound of Rebound Barclay on the bench. But he's too dumb to see it.

There's nothing more frustrating than to be sitting on your couch knowing the right answers with only a message board as a communications tool.

coleman doesn't have the horizontal sliding skills that Baye and Xmas do yet. It makes all the difference in the world in the 2-3. And he can't jump to well right now, I saw him get outjumped by a sf since he came back from his injury.

Whats the saying the first step to fixing a problem is admitting there is one. He was once the same height but this skinny and could have had derrick coleman, carmelo-like dribbling skills.
large_hsb_090313_jc_jd_dajuancoleman.jpg

Actually I thought Rak played well. Was very active and was punished by the refs with some dubious foul calls.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
Huh zero points zero rebounds and because of refs

When Boeheim realized this is an offensively challenged team he switched Christmas to center thus putting Coleman as the #3 option. With Coleman at center and Rak at the forward, there were two non scorers on the court. Team is not great on the offensive end but potentially better with CJ and Southerland dominating the forward minutes. Unless they have off games, I also don't see CJ Grant getting more than spot minutes going forward. His time will come, as will Coleman's. Has to be hard for these guys to ride the pines but that is the way Boeheim coaches. His bench gets shorter and shorter as the games get more important.

He's been unable to defend everyone, he doesn't rebound better than our other bigs, and he shoots 43% from the field. Easy.

Don't understand why he is not playing...

Pretty easy answer. At this point, he really isn't very good, and Rak and BMK are (only slightly) better. Come crunch time, JB isn't going to play anyone he doesn't trust unless he has to.

I will say, I was impressed with a couple catches BMK made down low off tough passes.

coleman doesn't have the horizontal sliding skills that Baye and Xmas do yet. It makes all the difference in the world in the 2-3. And he can't jump to well right now, I saw him get outjumped by a sf since he came back from his injury.

Whats the saying the first step to fixing a problem is admitting there is one. He was once the same height but this skinny and could have had derrick coleman, carmelo-like dribbling skills.
large_hsb_090313_jc_jd_dajuancoleman.jpg

Good points. And worth a "like," considering you found a thin Coleman in Manley photo.

Pretty easy answer. At this point, he really isn't very good, and Rak and BMK are (only slightly) better. Come crunch time, JB isn't going to play anyone he doesn't trust unless he has to.

I will say, I was impressed with a couple catches BMK made down low off tough passes.
I don't think people are saying to have him play at crunch time, just test him out in the first half.
Our bigs are foul prone. Riding a few minutes out of DC2 early has the benefit of reducing the foul trouble later. Earlier in the year when DC2 had his token starts we never had foul trouble. When we don't use DC2 foul trouble is a real concern, as it was again today. If JB uses DC2 early, he generally will have his choice of bigs to use at the end instead of having one of them foul out.

I don't think people are saying to have him play at crunch time, just test him out in the first half.
Our bigs are foul prone. Riding a few minutes out of DC2 early has the benefit of reducing the foul trouble later. Earlier in the year when DC2 had his token starts we never had foul trouble. When we don't use DC2 foul trouble is a real concern, as it was again today. If JB uses DC2 early, he generally will have his choice of bigs to use at the end instead of having one of them foul out.

Isn't every minute of a BE tournament game "crunch time"? You think they play the first half for funsies?

Agree Rak and Baye played hard today. Especially in the first half they were very aggressive and wanted to win instead of going through the motions.

Its hard for centers to rebound in the 2-3. They tend to challenge shots with a block or are facing away from the rim when opponents come right down the middle of the lane and that gets them out of position for the rebound. And the ones that go to the sides usually go to a forward. They are in a weak side position maybe 10% of the time, one of our forwards is 100% of the time.

Yeah, I thought they played well too. I love the minutes BMK is giving thus far - and both are doing a lot of the little things we need to win games. It was tough for them to get in the flow as much today because of all the fouls, and how physical Pitt is.

I'm a big proponent of getting people minutes, but honestly at this point I don't know that I would be giving him much run either until foul trouble becomes a concern. I think for the first time our players are SOMEWHAT utilizing the bigs, and I think BMK and Rak still need those type of minutes.

If Coleman plays it's because we have no other option left or we are ahead by 20 with a minute to play.

I know his defense isn't good but...Rak and BMK combined for 2 points and 3 rebounds today. PATHETIC. How much worse could DC2 be? At least he'd get a damn rebound. Pitt owned the boards in the 2nd half.

I thought Rak fought pretty well in the minutes I saw. The stats may not show it, but he had some positives out there.

How dare you... Normally I love your posts. But now you're insinuating that I dream about our bigs getting in foul trouble in the next few weeks.

What a jerk. ;)
damn u r beautiful and hottt..what is this thread about anyway?!

I thought Rak fought pretty well in the minutes I saw. The stats may not show it, but he had some positives out there.

We was as active has he's been on defense. He played well. Just didn't show up in the box score (when a guy receives exactly one pass and kicks it out to a jumpshooter, he's not going to score a lot of points).

I'm a big proponent of getting people minutes, but honestly at this point I don't know that I would be giving him much run either until foul trouble becomes a concern. I think for the first time our players are SOMEWHAT utilizing the bigs, and I think BMK and Rak still need those type of minutes.
But sometimes if you wait you run out of choices. Today with close to 4 minutes left in the game, Rak fouled out and BMK had four. The next foul on BMK - and Pitt really should have gone inside more - would have brought a cold DC2 into the game.

If DC2 had given us 5 minutes in the first half, that situation does not present itself. JB would then have his choice of centers. And unlike Harrison I do not believe all minutes are created equally.

But sometimes if you wait you run out of choices. Today with close to 4 minutes left in the game, Rak fouled out and BMK had four. The next foul on BMK - and Pitt really should have gone inside more - would have brought a cold DC2 into the game.

If DC2 had given us 5 minutes in the first half, that situation does not present itself. JB would then have his choice of centers. And unlike Harrison I do not believe all minutes are created equally.
Grant would have come in, not Coleman.

Grant would have come in, not Coleman.
You really think that? Wow, JB would look like an idiot. First totally mismanaging game time fouls and then secondly giving a frosh forward his first minutes ever at center in the quarterfinals of the BET, at crunch time.

Probably would have cost us the game. Because if you put that kind of spot light on the 5, even Dixon would have taken notice and gotten that ball into Adams.

You really think that? Wow, JB would look like an idiot. First totally mismanaging game time fouls and then secondly giving a frosh forward his first minutes ever at center in the quarterfinals of the BET, at crunch time.

Probably would have cost us the game. Because if you put that kind of spot light on the 5, even Dixon would have taken notice and gotten that ball into Adams.
Grant at least can play. Coleman at this point is a tackling dummy.

Grant at least can play. Coleman at this point is a tackling dummy.
Grant can play center? And you know this how? DC2 had good minutes in the LVille win. DC2 is at least the third center.

Maybe the knee hasn't healed fully. I would rather believe something like that than JB is not playing the center with the most offensive potential he has ever had. The same three centers could be here next year, I certainly hope this isn't his blueprint on how to distribute minutes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom