Coleman eligibility questions | Syracusefan.com

Coleman eligibility questions

Toga

Living Legend
Assuming Coleman does not play this year, how many years of eligibility would he have? Would he be able to have a RS and a medical RS? Would he bump into a 5 to play 4 rule or does that rule come off when a medical RS combined with a standard RS are involved?

I need answers!

Toga said:
Assuming Coleman does not play this year, how many years of eligibility would he have? Would he be able to have a RS and a medical RS? Would he bump into a 5 to play 4 rule or does that rule come off when a medical RS combined with a standard RS are involved? I need answers!

If he takes a RS, he'd have 2 years.

If he doesn't play then yes I he could redshirt. Wouldn't have to be medical could just be a regular redshirt since he has yet to see the floor. He would still have two years of eligibility left if he did that.

Toga said:
Assuming Coleman does not play this year, how many years of eligibility would he have? Would he be able to have a RS and a medical RS? Would he bump into a 5 to play 4 rule or does that rule come off when a medical RS combined with a standard RS are involved? I need answers!
2. This year would be rs. 5 years to play 4

Assuming Coleman does not play this year, how many years of eligibility would he have? Would he be able to have a RS and a medical RS? Would he bump into a 5 to play 4 rule or does that rule come off when a medical RS combined with a standard RS are involved?

I need answers!

You only get ONE redshirt year. Doesn't matter if you use it for medical reasons or a coaches decision. That's why everyone starts out as "5 to play 4". Everyone gets an extra year to keep in reserve if necessary.

Coleman played 2012-13.
Coleman played 2013-14.
If he misses 2014-15, he'll have 2015-16 and 2016-17 left.

Seeing him move around in practice, I'll be surprised if he doesn't come back this year. But if comes back and suffers the same injury, he's probably done.

That is good news! When you say seeing is that you personally?

jordoo said:
That is good news! When you say seeing is that you personally?

There was a story and video on him from practice the other day.

we could really use another BIG presence underneath and the 5 fouls they bring.

Seeing him move around in practice, I'll be surprised if he doesn't come back this year. But if comes back and suffers the same injury, he's probably done.

There is no question that Coleman would help the team from a depth perspective if he comes back, because backup center is the only spot where we truly don't have adequate depth.

But I don't want Coleman coming back if he is around 50%, or if he is at risk of reinjury. If either of those are the case, then it would be smart to shut him down, suck it up for a year, and enable him to get healthy for his last two full seasons of eligibility.

If he can get to where he's close to back to 100% by the end of December, and the medical staff feels that he is good to go, then it would be tempting to play him--and I wouldn't fault the staff for doing so.

tbonezone said:
we could really use another BIG presence underneath and the 5 fouls they bring.

Only need 8-10 minutes a game from him. Perfect opportunity for him to build up strength for next year.

Only need 8-10 minutes a game from him. Perfect opportunity for him to build up strength for next year.

Plus, he's already experienced--so he should be ready to contribute if he's cleared to play.

His being injured is a fantastic opportunity for him to work on basketball skills during a free year.

I hope the coaching staff doesn't rush him back.

You only get ONE redshirt year. Doesn't matter if you use it for medical reasons or a coaches decision. That's why everyone starts out as "5 to play 4". Everyone gets an extra year to keep in reserve if necessary.

Coleman played 2012-13.
Coleman played 2013-14.
Unless you get a medical waiver from the NCAA like Grant Gibbs did last year at Creighton. Although I'm not sure if part of that is because he had started at Gonzaga, got injured as a freshman and didn't play, then played a year, then transferred and sat out a year and then played three at Creighton. Still not sure it can be done at only one school. Not sure how many others have gotten six years.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ibbs-granted-6th-year-of-eligibility/2483149/

cliftonparksufan said:
Unless you get a medical waiver from the NCAA like Grant Gibbs did last year at Creighton. Although I'm not sure if part of that is because he had started at Gonzaga, got injured as a freshman and didn't play, then played a year, then transferred and sat out a year and then played three at Creighton. Still not sure it can be done at only one school. Not sure how many others have gotten six years. http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ibbs-granted-6th-year-of-eligibility/2483149/

Didn't Dan Conley get a sixth year with us back in 94/95 after shredding his knee the previous year?

Didn't Dan Conley get a sixth year with us back in 94/95 after shredding his knee the previous year?

I believe Dan withdrew from SU in 1993 for medical reasons, then filed for a waiver that his eligibility clock should have paused for a year.

You can get an additional year if granted by NCAA for medical reasons, not automatic like the 1 RS year, several criteria must be met to make this possible.

Coleman played 2012-13.
Coleman played 2013-14.
Dan Conley...the ncaa makes exceptions. I wouldn't count on them helping us though.

recently i remember notre dame's tim abromaitus petitioned for a 6th year and was denied.

Coleman played 2012-13.
Coleman played 2013-14.
thats not true. you can get as many medical redshirts as the NCAA deems you should be allowed.. some kids have gotten as many a 3. we have had a few fball players get 2. thats why they document everything. Most kids dont want to go that far if they are that injured.

thats not true. you can get as many medical redshirts as the NCAA deems you should be allowed.. some kids have gotten as many a 3. we have had a few fball players get 2. thats why they document everything. Most kids dont want to go that far if they are that injured.
Wasn't there some big kid (basketball) from Purdue a couple of years ago who was on like an 8 year plan due to injuries?

I don't think you can go beyond a 6th year and, as it was mentioned above, you need to show that the injury(situation) prevented student from attending classes, not just playing the sport.

If you are forced to miss your Freshman year due to an injury suffered in HS or during pre-season camp, and you have to miss a second year later on due to another injury, the NCAA has been known to extend a player's window of eligibility from 5 to 6 years. These kids end up "6 to play 4". I think Kyle Johnson might have belonged in this category.

To the best of my knowledge, nobody has ever been granted a 7th year and played 4 out of 7.

I don't think you can go beyond a 6th year and, as it was mentioned above, you need to show that the injury(situation) prevented student from attending classes, not just playing the sport.
kyle johnson played 6 for SU not that long ago. there are several kids playing a 6th year, Darryl Poston played 7 for utah in 2007, a kid for UCF did it in 2010. robert morris had 2 kids last year they tried to get a 7th yr.