Coleman/ Meeks | Syracusefan.com

Coleman/ Meeks

iommi

Living Legend
When Dajuan Coleman came to Syracuse I envisioned him being the kind of player Kennedy Meeks is for UNC-- a big guy who is not a great athlete but uses his big body to establish position and do damage down low. I know that DC has lost some weight but he has a very similar physique to Meeks.

If DC is able to bounce back from the surgery and become the kind of low post banger that Meeks is, that would be huge. I think he has it in him; he just has to learn not to bring the ball down. Keep the ball high, work on your footwork and a few basic post moves and do work on the blocks. Meeks is not a dominant presence, but we'd all sign up for his production in a heartbeat.

Come on, DC! We are all rooting for you!

Coleman needs to power through contact and continue with his shot like Meeks does. It always seemed to me that he would sense the contact coming and try to absorb it and alter his shot as a result. Always double pumping/clutching it during contact and trying to put some fancy spin on the ball instead of just bulling through the contact.

Coleman needs to power through contact and continue with his shot like Meeks does. It always seemed to me that he would sense the contact coming and try to absorb it and alter his shot as a result. Always double pumping/clutching it during contact and trying to put some fancy spin on the ball instead of just bulling through the contact.

You're right. I've been impressed with Meeks' improvement.

Hopefully he's broken himself of that double-pump habit. He played so small. Half the people on this forum could strip him with ease after an offensive board.

The one play I recall, was early in the season when he had the ball around the top of the key, took a couple dribbles, had a nice spin move, and finished the play. Might have been an aberration, but there was a ton of potential in that move alone. Of course, I think I used to see Dayshawn Wright make that kind of move every once in awhile as a Frosh early in the season.

Coleman is much more aggressive then meeks. I envisioned him be much more aggressive and faster, who like rak eventually got a unstoppable light touch to his shot. More of a Dajuan Blair/Mike Sweetney.

Coleman came in with a better face up dribble then Rak as well by a longshot and that is saying alot.

I just hope he gets to use all the tools he had in highschool to dominate.

Last edited:
orangefan13 said:
Coleman is much more aggressive then meeks. I envisioned him be much more aggressive and faster version, who like rak eventually got a unstoppable light touch to his shot. More of a Dajuan Blair/Mike Sweetney. Coleman came in with a better face up dribble then Rak as well by a longshot and that is saying alot. I just hope he gets to use all the tools he had in highschool to dominate.

What? You can't be serious.

The tools he had in high school were him being 6'9" 240 lbs against 6'2" centers that weigh 175?

Dayshawn Wright was a huge disappointment. I thought he would be just what we needed to match up against the bigs of Pittsburgh, Notre Dame and in the Tournament. Damn!

AccuRater said:
Dayshawn Wright was a huge disappointment. I thought he would be just what we needed to match up against the bigs of Pittsburgh, Notre Dame and in the Tournament. Damn!

These power guys who just bulldoze undersized ESM and Phoenix high school centers just can't do the same at a D1 power. I just don't see Coleman being effective unless his game transforms quite a bit.

These power guys who just bulldoze undersized ESM and Phoenix high school centers just can't do the same at a D1 power. I just don't see Coleman being effective unless his game transforms quite a bit.
He's no Chino, that's for sure.

BludOrange said:
He's no Chino, that's for sure.

Well no, he's far more advanced than Chino, but 90% of division one players are.

Good thing Forth and McNeil were such offensive beasts in 03' or we never would of won the NC. :D

You nailed it. He looked like he should have been real good. We haven't had a Harrell type for a while. Closest thing may have been TRob. And that says it all. Everytime we get a guy like that he becomes out center. That it when we have true national championship expectations, when we have a skilled big man ala Arinze, Rak, Seikaly along side a talented Big athlete at the 4. Syracuse seems to recruit the heck out of the 1,2,and 3, but it always to be the 4-5 combo that keeps us from the next level. This year it is atypical, the inconsistencies at the 1 and 3 lately have killed us, and although the 4 is playing nicely , Tyler is still undersized and just getting it together on offense.

BludOrange said:
Good thing Forth and McNeil were such offensive beasts in 03' or we never would of won the NC. :D

Yes, and without Craig Forth we don't win 10 games, not 10.

You can win without an all star team.

The bulls with with Luc Longley and Bill Wennington, I'm not exactly understanding your point.

You know though, each of them had above average skills in one area that really paid off. McNeil allowed us to take many liberties when we fell behind (yes, we did a lot that year)
Many times our press got us back in the game, and a big reason was , the times the opponent beat the press and got a 2 on 1, 3 on 1. Jeremy had a skill I have rarely seen of foiling it.
Craig was masterful setting screens as good as anyone that wore the orange. Again. overall. limited talents , each with one extraordinary skill that did their part to give us a title.
We don't win it without either one.

Good post.

It will interesting to see if Coleman is more explosive when he returns. He has a well developed skill set and good footwork. I will admit that I was disappointed by how consistently he had the ball stripped or his shot blocked pre injury. He was not an "above the rim" kind of athlete by any stretch. Maybe the weight loss will help.

What? You can't be serious.

The tools he had in high school were him being 6'9" 240 lbs against 6'2" centers that weigh 175?

No I am serious. Are you serious? What Coleman have you been watching?
Go watch him in the first game of the ncaa tournament a couple years back when he was a fresh he faced the basket when attacking with speed.

Watch this video there is no backdown pause then shoot, or backing his man down back to the basket hook. just fluent movement, faceup dribbles and a shot.
I don't mind you doubting but atleast have a water depth perception when you do.

His face up dribble was ahead of fab melo and rak in highschool by alot.
The shot as 053 and 104 is the coleman we all saw at syracuse.

Last edited:
orangefan13 said:
No I am serious. Are you serious? What Coleman have you been watching? Go watch him in the first game of the ncaa tournament a couple years back. Watch this video there is no backdown pause then shoot, just fluent movement, faceup dribbles and a shot. I don't mind you questioning but atleast have a water depth perception when you do. YouTube Video

Ok, then watch the other 50 games he's played. That's called an outlier.

I didn't watch his high school games I watched his highschool highlightes, and syracuse face up game, and face up dribble(which was ahead of rak and fabs as a fresh) Thats all I needed to know. Everyone thinks because he has alot of weight he should automatically back people down and hook over them slow and methodical.

Daujaun is Dajuan let him make his own game. Who are we to tell a kid what he can't develop in his game?
With that thinking we should recruit every 7'2 foot center out of highschool while we are at it on potential instead of ones that are actually ready to play at this level.

Let the kid play with the skillset he knows and loves.
IMO Dajuans offense was fine it was his defense that kept him off the floor difference was night and day. Yeah he had some rough points offensively but you weren't slowing down his aggressiveness. Especially at 12-20 mpg he was getting all the looks he wanted.

Last edited:
BludOrange said:
Point is, one does not have to be a superstar to help this team win. You would rather bash a kid you have not seen compete in a year. When he did compete, you got to see him for how many minutes? Did DC get a ton of run where you could truly judge his game?

Who did I bash? I called it how it was when he played, he's coming off three knee injuries in 3 years including a big surgery and will almost not play for 2 years. I'm sorry that I believe it will be tough for him to play 20 minutes a game and be totally effective. It's not fair to him to put this massive expectations on him.

Don't mistake my honest assessment with bashing him. I don't bash any Syracuse player.

I think you would rather root for this team and it's players to fail than for it to win. Seems as if no SU player meets your standards as you never have anything positive to say about them. I think you find joy in bashing them, as it softens the blow when they don't meet your yearly expectation of a NC. I thought fans root for their team, no matter how bad things get. I understand expressing concern, but I don't ever see that in your posts, just how bad Cuse is and how it's players are not even D1 players. Is there anything you like about the Orange?

Who did I bash? I called it how it was when he played, he's coming off three knee injuries in 3 years including a big surgery and will almost not play for 2 years. I'm sorry that I believe it will be tough for him to play 20 minutes a game and be totally effective. It's not fair to him to put this massive expectations on him.

Don't mistake my honest assessment with bashing him. I don't bash any Syracuse player.
Yeah, your thread on BJ not being D1 was not bashing him. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom