coleman might have just played | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

coleman might have just played

His stats are pretty much the same across the board as Christmas junior year.

Except FG%, blocks and if there was a stat for missed putbacks bad defense they wouldn't be too close.

And this is why we need Thompson to be the backup next year. Yes I'm thinking dirty thoughts and hoping DC is somewhere in Europe next fall, but it's really in his best interest as well. His stock isn't changing with another year of experience. Everyone cheers when he makes a layup like he's corky from that abc family drama. I mean, we ARE rooting for him this year but it's partly because we have no other options.
What's this we crap I think you stand alone as classless

Except FG%, blocks and if there was a stat for missed putbacks bad defense they wouldn't be too close.

He's shooting 55%. Rak shot 61. Coleman's the better ft shooter. I'm not sure what your expectations were of him this year when he hasn't played in two years. Anything much more than this is just unrealistic IMO.

If we want to go anywhere in the NCAA Tournament we got to have him in the game for 20+ minutes of the games to bang and wear down the opposing teams bigs.

The key to him having a good offensive game is simple...Franklin Howard or any other cuse player needs to set him up via the drive and dish or as a quick pass off a double team i.e. Roberson grabbing an offensive rebound getting doubled and making a quick short pass to Coleman.

Coleman receiving the ball 8 feet away from the basket and taking it on his own at this point leads to three things: 1) charge 2) travel or 3) blocked shot. This is the problem with having gbinije playing point when we can see his real talents would be at a 2/3 spot. Another season of development for Howard will only lead to good things for Coleman next year.

We're comparing DC to Corky and Rak in this thread. It's gone off the rails! Rak Junior season vs. DC? Still no contest.

DDWs6ZK.gif

It doesn't bother me that Coleman did not have a very good game against BC's big men. I'm just very glad we have him at all! Lydon is great but he would be destroyed by the 250 pound centers if he play against them the whole game.

The best thing I like about Coleman this year is his strength he has in his hands. He does not seem to be getting the ball ripped away on his post moves. Today he was called for a few travels but at least one them did not look like a travel to me. He's playing pretty good offensively. I just can't complain about Coleman. This team is lucky to have him playing and he will be an essential component in the NCAA tournament.

We're comparing DC to Corky and Rak in this thread. It's gone off the rails! Rak Junior season vs. DC? Still no contest.

DDWs6ZK.gif
I think ppl forget how frustrating RAK was prior to his senior year. Keita of all ppl split time with him. When Comparing him to Coleman it was more to say he has the potential to still make a jump next year. For anybody to say that he isn't good enough to play is a bit much.

Playing well for a complete game and showing a solid play or a solid couple of minutes are very different things.

He couldn't even be considered inconsistent at this point because he's constantly subpar.

I really hope he gets it next year but based on the body of work which is roughly 2 1/2 seasons worth I'm not buying this stock. I hope nothing more than him to dominate but he looks borderline clueless most of the time.
I shocked JB when I asked him if DC would be back. Recap in SWC recap of JB 'S radio show thread

I shocked JB when I asked him if DC would be back. Recap in SWC recap of JB 'S radio show thread
According to board luminaries, JB fooled you with an Oscar-worthy performance with his "reaction"... and deep down he knows DC's future here is very much up in the air. Who knows what he's really thinking at this point unless one is privy to 1-on-1 time with the man.

So he had a bad game. So freaking what? In a 35 game season it's inevitable he'll have a few. And we still won. He's important in the rotation, and that's all there is to it. Nobody ever promised he'd be Hakeem Olajuwon so stop expecting him to be. We're still better with him than without him. Jesus, Mary and Joseph. Some of this thread sounds like the guys in the game thread who were kvetching when we were up 12. Is there anybody out there who thinks this kid isn't just dying to play well? He's missed the best part of two seasons with major injuries and he's still trying his best. We need the kid. Give him a break.

edit: cleaned it up a little, sorry. Shouldn't post after killing half a bottle of wine ... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
That would be "Life Goes On", which opened with the theme song Ob-la-di. Not a bad show.

iu
It was a fantastic show compared to the poop the networks keep throwing at the wall these days.

Look at the stats, it's not as crazy as you think.

Oh, I still think it's crazy!!! :)

If you were only talking defense, Rak would was so much further ahead of DC as a Junior that DC would barely see the court. If Keita was on the team he just wouldn't play at all.

If you factor in the rest, it's still no contest. Rak was a far better passer. DC is so much weaker with the ball in his hands - still too easy to strip him. He more than doubled Rak in turnovers per 40 minutes. Rak's Junior year we were running an ISO offense for CJ, with Grant down low along side him as well as Ennis up top. As a result, Rak was less a part of the offense then than DC is now (slightly). We've gotten a bit better with feeding the post the past couple years. Overall, the only thing where Dajuan may have an edge at all is offensive rebounding.

Even with rebounding, when Rak had similar type players on the back line with him (his Senior year), he topped DC's output.

Who knows though! It's always hard to debate this stuff (plus, admittedly, I'm a HUGE fan of Rak).

Either way, DC has performed admirably this season after all he's been through. Wouldn't argue that point.

Last edited:
Although not the same defensive presence...RAK was equally as frustrating up until his senior year. He would get yanked after 30 seconds in favor of Keita.
RAK junior year was very similar stat line to DC. Per game...RAK was 23min, 5 Rebs, 2 blocks and 6 points. DC is 17 min, 4 Rebs, 1 block and 5 points. That isn't accounting for him being out 2 yrs. I still hope he can make a jump next year.
well, rak never got a pass until his senior year, and dc just needs to be quicker on his decisions, catch go to the rim, dunk, or catch and pass to a 3 point shooter, every time he gets the ball down low time stands still while he decides what to do. just my observation.

I think his biggest problem is his hands are too weak to hold on to the ball down in the post up. He gets stripped of the ball a large percentage of the time. It may only be like 15-25%, but that is still a huge percentage for turnover rate.

Shoot, it could even be possible that it's not that he isn't strong enough. Maybe he just breaks concentration with his grip on the ball while going up to shoot.

Although not the same defensive presence...RAK was equally as frustrating up until his senior year.

But that's the kicker, "although not the same defensive presence." Our team desperately needs a rim protector to take the burden off Lydon, and DC doesn't give us that. The fact that Rak developed into a very good interior defender by his soph/junior year made him light years better than DC.

I agree with you that Rak and DC were equally frustrating on the offensive end. Although I could be wrong but I don't feel like Rak brought the ball down and traveled quite as much.

I think some of you are blinded by Raks senior year. The numbers are the numbers and show their junior years to be incredibly similar. Per 100 possessions we give up the same amount of points with DC on the court as we did Raks junior year.

well, rak never got a pass until his senior year, and dc just needs to be quicker on his decisions, catch go to the rim, dunk, or catch and pass to a 3 point shooter, every time he gets the ball down low time stands still while he decides what to do. just my observation.

Idk I remember when Christmas blew a two footer at the buzzer when we lost to BC at home.

Idk I remember when Christmas blew a two footer at the buzzer when we lost to BC at home.

It was a hook from about 12, but even putting facts aside, I don't think this is evidence of any similarity between the two. Christmas was rarely used on offense for three years but showed good fundamentals. Coleman has difficulty getting shots off against smaller players.

I wouldn't go so far as to echo the "bad hands" assessments in some of these posts, though. Coleman's got fine hands. His problem stems from having too little sense of what to do once he gets the ball in the post. He delays and presents the ball to opponents in a predictable way; the strongest hands in the game wouldn't prevent him from getting stripped by defenders.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom