coleman | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

coleman

Coleman is slow footed on defense and hasn't added anything to his offensive game since high school.

He needs to develop a soft hook to give himself a scoring option when he gets bottled up under the basket.
I agree.

I mention this nearly every year, and people disagree with it, but here goes -

How a lot of big men play overall is predicated on how involved they are early in the game on offense.

I suspect if we made it a priority to get Coleman a bucket early we'd see better defense, rebounding, and hustle.

I know, I know - it shouldn't be this way. Big guys should just play like big guys and do big guy things. A lot of them just aren't wired that way.

If we're going to wait around for Coleman to make an impact on his own we'll probably be waiting for a while. If we give him a nudge, it might go better.

DC made one great move yesterday in the post, so I think the ability is there. I think it's a timing issue for him right now. I think they should make a point early of throwing it to him so he feels involved, instead of starting the game firing up a three.

In general I cringe when us amateurs arm-chair quarterback JAB. That said, I think that season where we had 20 wins and didn't make the big dance informs his intense desire to win every game at the expense of developing his team for the league and tourney. Love Lydon, but we're going nowhere with him at the 5.
He says repeatedly, "I wanted to win." It's not like he's being sly.

DC made one great move yesterday in the post, so I think the ability is there. I think it's a timing issue for him right now. I think they should make a point early of throwing it to him so he feels involved, instead of starting the game firing up a three.
yep, I loved the first offensive possession of the 2nd half of St.Bonnie game - fed it to him and he converted.
And you're right about his move he scored on in last night's game - we see little glimpses of what's possible. Hoping hoping it can become more common

Good discussion folks...I just think jb could have got him back in at some point...yes he wants to win and yes I get the ceremonial starts but in the words of cris Carter...c'Mon man!

Like everybody else, I certainly root for DC. I didn't see the game last night, but looking at the box score I see 10 minutes, 1-1 FG and "no" rebounds. There were some good signs in the previous games. Yes, he has a role on this team and we'll just have to see what that is and how he develops.
The 10 minute playing time does not look that good but he had two blocked shots, one where he moved out to the corner. To me that is a half step forward not seeing that style play from DC in the first two games.

I'm typically critical this team when they're at their best and optimistic when they're at their worst but I'm really high on this team

i'm typically critical on great teams.

optimistic when they're at their worst but I'm really high and on this team ms so who knows but this team when they're at their best has tools

If Coleman is a factor Cooney shoots a little better and Malachi continues to grow !
Mike is so solid and are D will be fine Plus we have a lot to look forward to with Tyler and Tyler

Look man, I hope you are right, but I dont see how you can be all that high on a team whose only post player is a skinny freshman whose actually better suited to the wing. We cant score on the likes of St bonnies and elon. Yesterday we went from the 12:00 to 4:00 scoring two points. Pretty sure a high school team could do that.

Our senior leader , whose strength is shooting, cant shoot. Our true point guards are talented but young and inexperienced.

Last edited:
I can't see him getting better/more comfortable/more intuitive without more playing time and the ability to play through a mistake or two.

I wish he had more Zach Randolf in his game: just catch and go up immediately with the ball, even without making a move to turn fully to the basket. Dajuan seems to be stuck on choreography. Every possession seems like he's just learned a dance sequence: a ONE and a two and three and four... He's already in close, but he takes so much time to get a shot up that defenders swarm him. And they know going in that he's susceptible to being defended late in his own possession of the ball.

I wish I could work him out with drills where he never dribbles. Catches with the back to the hoop and just twists as he elevates. Period. He had a 'successful' move yesterday when he dribbled and then pivoted and concerted, but like all of his moves, it's like he feels he will improve if he can make those sequence moves QUICKER. Like a guitar player learning licks.

Hope his minutes aren't health-related. After an early hook yesterday, I was watching for JB's attitude/reaction as DC approached the bench. JB actually looked 'sympathetic.' Which may not bode well.

I mention this nearly every year, and people disagree with it, but here goes -

How a lot of big men play overall is predicated on how involved they are early in the game on offense.

I suspect if we made it a priority to get Coleman a bucket early we'd see better defense, rebounding, and hustle.

I know, I know - it shouldn't be this way. Big guys should just play like big guys and do big guy things. A lot of them just aren't wired that way.

If we're going to wait around for Coleman to make an impact on his own we'll probably be waiting for a while. If we give him a nudge, it might go better.

Like how Roberson seemed more engaged in a game where he got touches early and kept it going? Beat this drum for years as well.

I think Coleman has huge limitations, but you have to get these guys engaged. I mean, we've been offensively limited for a bit, giving up a possession or two to get the big guy into the game doesn't seem to be a huge loss. Again, not sure we get much from him, but I do think the point about big guys checking out is valid. The Lehigh game, he grabs a board on a missed free throw late in the second half, and was firing on all cylinders for a few minutes. A lot of big men seem to play like this.

I can't see him getting better/more comfortable/more intuitive without more playing time and the ability to play through a mistake or two.

I wish he had more Zach Randolf in his game: just catch and go up immediately with the ball, even without making a move to turn fully to the basket. Dajuan seems to be stuck on choreography. Every possession seems like he's just learned a dance sequence: a ONE and a two and three and four... He's already in close, but he takes so much time to get a shot up that defenders swarm him. And they know going in that he's susceptible to being defended late in his own possession of the ball.

I wish I could work him out with drills where he never dribbles. Catches with the back to the hoop and just twists as he elevates. Period. He had a 'successful' move yesterday when he dribbled and then pivoted and concerted, but like all of his moves, it's like he feels he will improve if he can make those sequence moves QUICKER. Like a guitar player learning licks.

Hope his minutes aren't health-related. After an early hook yesterday, I was watching for JB's attitude/reaction as DC approached the bench. JB actually looked 'sympathetic.' Which may not bode well.
He came out because he made no effort on a loose ball. It made me think either, a: he is not engaged, b: he doesn't think he needs to make hustle plays, or c: he is afraid of getting hurt again, and if that is the case, who can blame him.

He came out because he made no effort on a loose ball. It made me think either, a: he is not engaged, b: he doesn't think he needs to make hustle plays, or c: he is afraid of getting hurt again, and if that is the case, who can blame him.
I had similar thoughts. On that play he either wouldn't or couldn't make the effort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom