Colgate-Cuse: A Fun Tidbit | Syracusefan.com

Colgate-Cuse: A Fun Tidbit

LeMoyneCuse

All American
At 41 road miles, Colgate has the shortest road trip of any team visiting an FBS stadium this weekend. (Nothing to link to - just my own research.)

Towson (at Maryland) and Elon (at Wake) also have to travel less than 50 miles for their games this weekend.

Central Michigan at Michigan State (70 miles) is the shortest all-FBS road trip.

At 41 38 road miles, Colgate has the shortest road trip of any team visiting an FBS stadium this weekend. (Nothing to link to - just my own research.)

Towson (at Maryland) and Elon (at Wake) also have to travel less than 50 miles for their games this weekend.

Central Michigan at Michigan State (70 miles) is the shortest all-FBS road trip.

Fixed!

At 41 road miles, Colgate has the shortest road trip of any team visiting an FBS stadium this weekend. (Nothing to link to - just my own research.)

This rivalry predates cars and highways. Back when All4SU was a boy, the Colgate team and fans would take a train from Hamilton to Syracuse and major parties would ensue at the Hotel Syracuse and all the other hotels in town.

This was the biggest event of the sporting year. It was a huge rivalry that captured all of upstate NY.

Syracuse has never had a rivalry in football since remotely close to it.

Hard to believe. Even harder to believe: the win Saturday will finally give Syracuse an advantage in the all time series between the schools. Colgate loved playing the game when they would win regularly.

I don't blame them for not wanting to play Syracuse very often any longer.

This rivalry predates cars and highways. Back when All4SU was a boy, the Colgate team and fans would take a train from Hamilton to Syracuse and major parties would ensue at the Hotel Syracuse and all the other hotels in town.

This was the biggest event of the sporting year. It was a huge rivalry that captured all of upstate NY.

Syracuse has never had a rivalry in football since remotely close to it.

Hard to believe. Even harder to believe: the win Saturday will finally give Syracuse an advantage in the all time series between the schools. Colgate loved playing the game when they would win regularly.

I don't blame them for not wanting to play Syracuse very often any longer.
Hopefully we'll get back there someday.

The first meeting was 1891. It looks like the train trip mostly would have been up a subsidiary of the New York Central that went through Cazenovia and onto the mainline near DeWitt. (The Cazenovia to Earlville stretch looks to have been abandoned in 1935.)

1894 Rail Map of NY

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom