College bball is broken | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

College bball is broken

1. New refs: Pay em more money, train em better.
2. NBA continuation rule

1. New refs: Pay em more money, train em better.
2. NBA continuation rule
1 - Don't pay the egomaniacs any more. Hold them accountable and take the money back for p!sspoor jobs.
2 - like it -- just do it!

I should clarify: the player removed form the game could be substituted for in that span.

But the biggest way to clean up the game is with consistent officiating, which can't be obtained when the refs work for various conferences. They pointed out on The Score's Afternoon Drive that under the current system, officials that were left go by one conference for incompetency can be immediately hired by another conference.

Biggest issue is there are a he11 of a lot of college basketball games, which means you need a hell of a lot of officials x 3. By having officials associated with conferences it means that you can assure that the power conferences will get the better officials (remember better is a relative term). So if you have 100 officials the 30 best officials might do all of the Big East, ACC, Big10, SEC, PAC10 and Big 12 games and the 30 worst rated officials might consistently be left to do Great West, MEAC, Northeast, Southland, SWAC and Summit League games. If they all just worked for the NCAA and could be assigned anywhere do you want to see the better officials being assigned to a SWAC game while we draw one of the hacks from the bottom of the barrel for an SU v. Georgetown matchup?

And of course a referee determined to be incompetent by one conference might be hired by another conference. Incompetence is also a relative term. That ref who is incompetent as compared to the other refs refereeing ACC or Big East games might be an All Star as compared to the guys regularly working SWAC conference games.

The bottom line is that the NCAA establishes the rules of play. I don't understand how the conferences can influence which rules are observed or not observed. That makes no sense! I'm not arguing that it isn't happening, because it sure seems like it is.

Biggest issue is there are a he11 of a lot of college basketball games, which means you need a hell of a lot of officials x 3. By having officials associated with conferences it means that you can assure that the power conferences will get the better officials (remember better is a relative term). So if you have 100 officials the 30 best officials might do all of the Big East, ACC, Big10, SEC, PAC10 and Big 12 games and the 30 worst rated officials might consistently be left to do Great West, MEAC, Northeast, Southland, SWAC and Summit League games. If they all just worked for the NCAA and could be assigned anywhere do you want to see the better officials being assigned to a SWAC game while we draw one of the hacks from the bottom of the barrel for an SU v. Georgetown matchup?

And of course a referee determined to be incompetent by one conference might be hired by another conference. Incompetence is also a relative term. That ref who is incompetent as compared to the other refs refereeing ACC or Big East games might be an All Star as compared to the guys regularly working SWAC conference games.

The bottom line is that the NCAA establishes the rules of play. I don't understand how the conferences can influence which rules are observed or not observed. That makes no sense! I'm not arguing that it isn't happening, because it sure seems like it is.

Having the NCAA employ the refs and standardize interpretations of the rules as well as the competency and workload of the refs would not result in the "bottom of the barrel" refereeing the SU- Georgetown game. Quite the opposite.

nobody can shoot. if you can simply hit an outside shot, it opens up everything. players have to play up on you not only opening things up down low, but now you can drive past the guy since he is up in your grill.

we used to say that basketball was deteriorating into three pointers and dunks.

that doesnt seem like such a bad type of deterioration now does it? now we get bricks and dudes getting hacked to death when they try to dunk.

also, how many would be great college basketball players are we losing to football? football has become such a force in this country now that i wonder if kids that used to want to play bball now look at it as a secondary sport ..something to do in the football offseason, rather than an end unto itself?

nobody can shoot. if you can simply hit an outside shot, it opens up everything. players have to play up on you not only opening things up down low, but now you can drive past the guy since he is up in your grill.

we used to say that basketball was deteriorating into three pointers and dunks.

that doesnt seem like such a bad type of deterioration now does it? now we get bricks and dudes getting hacked to death when they try to dunk.

also, how many would be great college basketball players are we losing to football? football has become such a force in this country now that i wonder if kids that used to want to play bball now look at it as a secondary sport ..something to do in the football offseason, rather than an end unto itself?

I think the popularity of the three pointer and dunk turned the game into a "Vertical" game with everything pointed at the basket instead of a horizontal game where players moved back and forth trying to get open for shots and actually preferred 10 or 15 footers to 20 footers because they were easier to make.

I should clarify: the player removed form the game could be substituted for in that span.

But the biggest way to clean up the game is with consistent officiating, which can't be obtained when the refs work for various conferences. They pointed out on The Score's Afternoon Drive that under the current system, officials that were left go by one conference for incompetency can be immediately hired by another conference.

I understood - I was actually speaking of how I was thinking along those lines but somewhat differently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom