College Fight Songs ... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

College Fight Songs ...

I've lurked here for years. Usually enjoy that old dude that posts the historical threads here and there.. I think TexanMark?
I believe you are referring to @SWC, the most interesting man in the world. He is a dude but he is not old. Just well seasoned. ;)

We play BC just about every year the last week of the regular season (in football).

Question for you: do you have a B12 rival that you play each season at the end of the year? If not, why don't you play Pitt then? Pitt doesn't really have a rival to play in the ACC. It seems you two could both win by hooking up in an annual game.

I've lurked here for years. Usually enjoy that old dude that posts the historical threads here and there.. I think TexanMark?

CuseHulk. When he’s not here you can find him in Section 311 of the Dome. Or Applebee’s.

This site seems to have the ability to draw in fans from other schools. We have our resident/adopted conference posters. I welcome you as a former conference member of the Old Big East.

This guy is certainly a newbie.

There was a glorious time on an earlier version of the board, rivals?, where I had about 10000 posts on our board and about 7500 on the WV one.

Those guys were freakin hysterical.

I’d go there, Call out a few of their posters, then we’d all come back to the Syracuse board and start making our posters cry.

Good times, good times...

Question for you: do you have a B12 rival that you play each season at the end of the year? If not, why don't you play Pitt then? Pitt doesn't really have a rival to play in the ACC. It seems you two could both win by hooking up in an annual game.

Originally we played Iowa State at the end of the season for a few years but since then it's cycled around. The only constant in Big 12 scheduling is the Red River Rivalry during the fair.

We moved the opening Pitt game to Labor Day Weekend in 2022. I don't see why we couldn't move it to November if both parties are interested with the Big 12/TV's blessing. Surprisingly enough, Pitt was never the season ending game most of the time. It was actually Syracuse until the Big East got involved with things.

Originally we played Iowa State at the end of the season for a few years but since then it's cycled around. The only constant in Big 12 scheduling is the Red River Rivalry during the fair.

We moved the opening Pitt game to Labor Day Weekend in 2022. I don't see why we couldn't move it to November if both parties are interested with the Big 12/TV's blessing. Surprisingly enough, Pitt was never the season ending game most of the time. It was actually Syracuse until the Big East got involved with things.
I remember those days. Some great games...

Do you think we should play again in the regular season?

Boomer Sooner is an assault on my sanity.

I would love to say hello with a .44 Magnum or barbed wire wrapped baseball bat to the assclown that decided that they should play that after every 3 yard gain.

Besides Down the Field I love USCs as well as Michigan’s.

I don’t like OSUs but I think that’s because I lived in Columbus for two years and Toledo for five and had to endure it constantly.

Boomer Sooner is an assault on my sanity.
The Toledo fight song is pretty good.

As a band nerd from Ohio, Le Regiment (The song the tOSU band plays when doing script Ohio) was always one of my favorites.

Ugh. There are idiot fans of Tennessee that think the somg was written specifically for the school. It was not. It is about a place in the smoky mountains and was later adopted by the university.
You do realize that the SU alma mater is based on a lament for a girl who died? [from Wikipedia] "Annie Lisle" is an 1857 ballad by Boston, Massachusetts songwriter H. S. Thompson, first published by Moulton & Clark of Newburyport, Massachusetts, and later by Oliver Ditson & Co.[1] It is about the death of a young maiden, by what some have speculated to be tuberculosis, although the lyric does not explicitly mention tuberculosis, or "consumption" as it was called then. The song might have slipped into obscurity had the tune not been adopted by countless colleges, universities, and high schools worldwide as their respective alma mater songs.

An army marching down the field

The last segment, "Conquest" IS about an army on the march. it's from the 1948 film "Captian From Casile":

Captain from Castile - Il capitano di Castiglia (1947) Trailer

It was composed by Alfred Newman, the head of 20th century Fox's music department, who allowed USC to use the march for the parade of the Trojan on his horse after a USC score. I think it's the greatest march of all time. here is my favorite version of it:

USC Symphony Conquest

The last segment, "Conquest" IS about an army on the march. it's from the 1948 film "Captian From Casile":

Captain from Castile - Il capitano di Castiglia (1947) Trailer

It was composed by Alfred Newman, the head of 20th century Fox's music department, who allowed USC to use the march for the parade of the Trojan on his horse after a USC score. I think it's the greatest march of all time. here is my favorite version of it:

USC Symphony Conquest

Yep! I spent many days at Alfred Newman Recital Hall on campus as well.

An army marching down the field
A memory that I will never forget is early summer orientation at USC when I went with my son. At lunch, a very small portion of the marching band comes in and plays, and teaches the fight song, and how to "properly" do the V sign during the march. Being in a small dining area that is used for special USC events, the horns were blaring, and it was totally infectious. I think at that point I would have signed up for anything at USC. I often think of this level of fandom in comparison to SU, and while I love SU, and they are my first team, nothing comes close to the USC band, fight song and fan experience. I love that song, and sometimes I hum that song when we score, and then go oops, wrong one. It just sticks in your head when you are already connected to
it. But don't worry, the SU fight song has been my ring tone for the past 10 years...

You do realize that the SU alma mater is based on a lament for a girl who died? [from Wikipedia] "Annie Lisle" is an 1857 ballad by Boston, Massachusetts songwriter H. S. Thompson, first published by Moulton & Clark of Newburyport, Massachusetts, and later by Oliver Ditson & Co.[1] It is about the death of a young maiden, by what some have speculated to be tuberculosis, although the lyric does not explicitly mention tuberculosis, or "consumption" as it was called then. The song might have slipped into obscurity had the tune not been adopted by countless colleges, universities, and high schools worldwide as their respective alma mater songs.
Nope. I didn't know that.

A memory that I will never forget is early summer orientation at USC when I went with my son. At lunch, a very small portion of the marching band comes in and plays, and teaches the fight song, and how to "properly" do the V sign during the march. Being in a small dining area that is used for special USC events, the horns were blaring, and it was totally infectious. I think at that point I would have signed up for anything at USC. I often think of this level of fandom in comparison to SU, and while I love SU, and they are my first team, nothing comes close to the USC band, fight song and fan experience. I love that song, and sometimes I hum that song when we score, and then go oops, wrong one. It just sticks in your head when you are already connected to
it. But don't worry, the SU fight song has been my ring tone for the past 10 years...

Ha. Thanks for sharing! Great stuff.