College Football Begins | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

College Football Begins

I won’t begrudge anyone for rooting against Miami, but it would be huge for the ACC if they could be a player in CFB sooner rather than later.

In College Football, the ACC is basically the PAC-12 but with Clemson.

Now that we’re finally good again, I’d love for analysts to talk about the conference like they do the SEC and B1G. That won’t happen when the other side of the league is a dumpster fire.
Just a few years ago the ACC considered one of the top 2 FB conferences.

I bet we'll say the same thing again in the next 2-3 years.

I woke up at 330 am couldn't get back to sleep thinking about the start of the season , im really concerned about my heart ! no joke !
Just make sure your blood pressure is good, and you should be okay, a baby aspirin a day could be beneficial too.

Just a few years ago the ACC considered one of the top 2 FB conferences.

I bet we'll say the same thing again in the next 2-3 years.
True. I’m certainly not implying the ACC faces the same systemic issues of the PAC-12 - Poor play, lack of fan support, lack of funding, time zones, exposure etc.

The ACC remains very relevant due to recent Nattys by Clemson & FSU.

It’s just tough to take a league seriously (in a particular year) when there’s only one contender, one other ranked team, and a participation trophy for the ACC Championship Game opponent of Clemson.

I won’t begrudge anyone for rooting against Miami, but it would be huge for the ACC if they could be a player in CFB sooner rather than later.

In College Football, the ACC is basically the PAC-12 but with Clemson.

Now that we’re finally good again, I’d love for analysts to talk about the conference like they do the SEC and B1G. That won’t happen when the other side of the league is a dumpster fire.

This idea is crazy to me. 10 years ago the ACC was down and was clearly one of the worst P5 conferences. Then we had one of the best - if not the best 2-3 years ago and before that a decent run. We had a rough year last year (and still won the national championship) - and now we’re the PAC12 with Clemson?

I also think the perception is that because FSU was bad and Louisville imploded the whole conference was down. A bit overblown, IMO.

This idea is crazy to me. 10 years ago the ACC was down and was clearly one of the worst P5 conferences. Then we had one of the best - if not the best 2-3 years ago and before that a decent run. We had a rough year last year (and still won the national championship) - and now we’re the PAC12 with Clemson?

I also think the perception is that because FSU was bad and Louisville imploded the whole conference was down. A bit overblown, IMO.
I mean, yea.

I amended my narrative to acquiesce that I’m speaking purely of “perception”, as we don’t have the systemic issues that conference has.

Outside of Clemson, we had one team ranked in the final top 25... Syracuse @ 15.

Outside of Clemson, we have one team ranked entering the season... Syracuse @ 22.

(The PAC-12 enters the season with 5 ranked teams, fyi)

Clemson elevates the conference, but outside of them, we need someone besides us to step up.

Last edited:
True. I’m certainly not implying the ACC faces the same systemic issues of the PAC-12 - Poor play, lack of fan support, lack of funding, time zones, exposure etc.

The ACC remains very relevant due to recent Nattys by Clemson & FSU.

It’s just tough to take a league seriously (in a particular year) when there’s only one contender, one other ranked team, and a participation trophy for the ACC Championship Game opponent of Clemson.
Media talks out both sides of their butt. When it came to the Pac a number of years ago, it was "a really good conference" because USC was perpetually at the top. Didnt matter that the Pac was USC and no one else. They were playing for championships

Now the "Acc isn't great becuase no one else is challenging Clemson for the ACC title or NC." Bunch of garbage. Which is it? A conference is spectacular because it has a national champion at the top, or a conference is unnoticeable because it has a returning national champ and no one to challenge them?"

Media talks out both sides of their butt. When it came to the Pac a number of years ago, it was "a really good conference" because USC was perpetually at the top. Didnt matter that the Pac was USC and no one else. They were playing for championships

Now the "Acc isn't great becuase no one else is challenging Clemson for the ACC title or NC." Bunch of garbage. Which is it? A conference is spectacular because it has a national champion at the top, or a conference is unnoticeable because it has a returning national champ and no one to challenge them?"
This^^^
Media loves narratives. The ACC bowl record last few years has been consistently good. Big XII, PAC, B1G, and yes, SEC- have largely been dominated by 1 team, just like the ACC.
When the league sucked, it was- “They can’t compete”. First w/ FSU & now Clemson, it’s changed to- “They’re too top-heavy”, etc.
If we have a breakout year & compete for a playoff berth, that’s the kind of crap that’ll have us as a 4-seed, even after winning the league.

This^^^
Media loves narratives. The ACC bowl record last few years has been consistently good. Big XII, PAC, B1G, and yes, SEC- have largely been dominated by 1 team, just like the ACC.
When the league sucked, it was- “They can’t compete”. First w/ FSU & now Clemson, it’s changed to- “They’re too top-heavy”, etc.
If we have a breakout year & compete for a playoff berth, that’s the kind of crap that’ll have us as a 4-seed, even after winning the league.
SEC has been dominated by Bama, but they usually have legit teams in that league, and they recently jumped into elite league status with the rise of Georgia.

The B1G has OSU and Michigan, but that league is consistently overrated. Somehow they start the year with half the league ranked so when they inevitably beat each other due to mediocrity, they look like big games.

Then there’s the battle for the #3 CFB Conference between the ACC and the Big XII. That probably goes to the ACC due to recent National Championships, but if Texas is for real, that gives them that second team.

It does seem like the CFP is the leading indicator of conference strength. It’s why the ACC, due to Clemson is probably viewed in a brighter light than the Big XII.

The PAC-12 is a dumpster fire due to a ton of reasons. That league is in a lot of trouble due to on the field, and off the field issues in the two major revenue sports, but they do have a decently competitive conference with 5 ranked teams entering the year... yet no contender. (Shows how important having a contender is)

You need big games as a conference though. As of the start of the season, the ACC has one. Clemson @ Syracuse. I don’t even know what the #2 game would be... Clemson/Syracuse vs FSU? Assuming FSU isn’t terrible again.

I do think a lot of programs could jump into the top 25 at various points this year. Perhaps UVA, Miami, FSU, UNC, NC State etc.

SEC has been dominated by Bama, but they usually have legit teams in that league, and they recently jumped into elite league status with the rise of Georgia.

The B1G has OSU and Michigan, but that league is consistently overrated. Somehow they start the year with half the league ranked so when they inevitably beat each other due to mediocrity, they look like big games.

Then there’s the battle for the #3 CFB Conference between the ACC and the Big XII. That probably goes to the ACC due to recent National Championships, but if Texas is for real, that gives them that second team.

It does seem like the CFP is the leading indicator of conference strength. It’s why the ACC, due to Clemson is probably viewed in a brighter light than the Big XII.

The PAC-12 is a dumpster fire due to a ton of reasons. That league is in a lot of trouble due to on the field, and off the field issues in the two major revenue sports, but they do have a decently competitive conference with 5 ranked teams entering the year... yet no contender. (Shows how important having a contender is)

You need big games as a conference though. As of the start of the season, the ACC has one. Clemson @ Syracuse. I don’t even know what the #2 game would be... Clemson/Syracuse vs FSU? Assuming FSU isn’t terrible again.

I do think a lot of programs could jump into the top 25 at various points this year. Perhaps UVA, Miami, FSU, UNC, NC State etc.
Exactly. Preseason prognostications often dissipate after a few weeks, but the narrative remains the same throughout the season. Every league, and granted the SEC is stronger than others, has had a top dog who usually comes out on top. Biggest games the last few years have been Bama v UGA, or tOSU v Mich, but regardless of actual strength or record, those games are big because of tradition. SU v Clemson has gotten sexier because we’ve played them tough as they’ve gone to another level. The ACC lacks the “traditional” pull of some of these other leagues, except maybe FSU v the U, but they never seem to be good at the same time.
I just think the narrative is played out, and changes year-to-year, especially w/ the ACC. JMHO

Last edited:
This^^^

Bowl results mean less and less regarding perception due to players sitting out, the CFP leading to a let down for some teams that don't make it and the overall variance in "want to be there" factor. Regular season non-conference games make much louder statements and ACC has some opportunities early to change the perception of it being Clemson and a bag of varying levels of mediocrity.

Miami/Florida, SC/UNC, Duke/Bama, Clemson/A&M, us/Maryland, FSU/Boise, Pitt/Penn St, UCF/Pitt, Georgia/ND are all opportunities in the first month of the season for the ACC to have a strong showing and get some national respect. (Notre Dame as an ACC proxy seeing as though it will give a reference point for when they play the ACC component of their schedule)

The better those teams do then the better for us because that will lead to how impressive the wins on our schedule look. Otherwise we could rack up a great 9-3, 10-2 season and people will shrug and say "Eh, they beat a bunch of ok ACC teams."

I agree with the SEC over-hyped BS every year. I'd love to see every SEC team lose their OOC games...

HOWEVER, I loathe Miami. We recruit against them, they're a dirty, dirty school and they simply deserve to suck on an acid popsicle.

I agree with the SEC over-hyped BS every year. I'd love to see every SEC team lose their OOC games...

HOWEVER, I loathe Miami. We recruit against them, they're a dirty, dirty school and they simply deserve to suck on an acid popsicle.
Could not agree more!!

BL: Best thing this year is Syracuse Beats Clemson and makes the playoff and does well there too. The more ACC teams that elevate the better.

Gotta Beat Liberty and Maryland first!

Don't forget about Zona v Hawaii. Khalil Tate is an incredible player. Worth watching.

Nice hat tip to give the degenerates who need that late Hawaii game to give them the chance in week zero.

Two of UConn's future Football rivals starting it off on Saturday at noon on CBS Sports

Villanova at Colgate
cbssn-15.jpg
12:00 PM

Nice backstory to this game. It's the first D1 college football game in the country this year and it's the 150 year of college football. Colgate is celebrating its bicentennial. Colgate is ranked 13th in the country. It's on national TV on CBS Sports. And they are unveiling their new HD video board. If you don't have anything going on tomorrow, take a quick ride over to Hamilton and check out the game. It's always a good time and the weather looks perfect.

I don't understand, how many recruiting battles have we been in with Miami over the last couple years? Let's go Gators!
As someone that’s married into it, and has seen their games in 5 different states, Go Gators!

Last December I saw the Orangemen & Gators win their games within 24 hours. A very good 24 hours... :)

The PAC doesn’t make the CFP and the B1G & Big 12 are bad at math. That leaves only the ACC & SEC.

I mean, yea.

I amended my narrative to acquiesce that I’m speaking purely of “perception”, as we don’t have the systemic issues that conference has.

Outside of Clemson, we had one team ranked in the final top 25... Syracuse @ 15.

Outside of Clemson, we have one team ranked entering the season... Syracuse @ 22.

(The PAC-12 enters the season with 5 ranked teams, fyi)

Clemson elevates the conference, but outside of them, we need someone besides us to step up.

I hear you. Rankings are weird... especially preseason.

I think it's partially because almost all of the teams outside of Clemson and Syracuse are mediocre. But that's not to say the ACC is bad. Outside of Louisville and GaTech - who I think will struggle - everyone else I could see going on a run and being close to being ranked at some point. UVa could be ranked preseason. They are very much on the rise.

The PAC-12 having that many is bonkers IMO

As someone that’s married into it, and has seen their games in 5 different states, Go Gators!

Last December I saw the Orangemen & Gators win their games within 24 hours. A very good 24 hours... :)
I should also add that having similar school colors makes things even easier...

The fact that the adopted Gator family is part of the Bull Gator Club doesn’t hurt either. ;)

I hear you. Rankings are weird... especially preseason.

I think it's partially because almost all of the teams outside of Clemson and Syracuse are mediocre. But that's not to say the ACC is bad. Outside of Louisville and GaTech - who I think will struggle - everyone else I could see going on a run and being close to being ranked at some point. UVa could be ranked preseason. They are very much on the rise.

The PAC-12 having that many is bonkers IMO
Agreed.

Solid programs don’t move the needle. The biggest issue, and one that the ACC needs solved to make the jump to “Best Conference in the Land” conversations, is the Atlantic sorting itself out and/or Syracuse making the jump from Top 25 to Top 10 / FSU becoming a power again.

I don’t think NC State has that in them. Coaching is huge when you’re not a Top 10 recruiting powerhouse, and for that reason, if we can hold onto Dino long term...we do (IMO) have that chance. I think NC State has a ceiling of a solid Top 25 under their current leadership.

PAC 12 has no contenders. No one cares.

SEC has Bama, UGA, UF, A&M and LSU.

B1G has OSU and Michigan.

Big XII has had the ACC problem but now Texas maybe emerged to join OU.

Who will join Clemson?...

I woke up at 330 am couldn't get back to sleep thinking about the start of the season , im really concerned about my heart ! no joke !
Go burn it off at the gym. Ps may your son become an Su immortal.

That just made me laugh

An undisciplined, subpar Miami played as poor as possible, and yet big bad SEC top ten Florida should have lost last night.

If Florida is third best in SEC, then the SEC is overrated.

The SEC has quality depth, as in a lot of 8 win teams.

So don't other conferences.

The SEC generally do not play OOC at true road games, and usually play a pathetic OOC schedule

them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom