College football coach rankings: The Big East | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

College football coach rankings: The Big East

The article has been updated.

8. Doug Marrone, Syracuse

2011: 5-7
At Syracuse (3 years): 17-20
FBS career (3 years): 17-20
Look what he walked into. He followed a guy (Greg Robinson) who was an utter catastrophe, upgraded and hit another rough spot last fall. He can obviously recruit; can he develop players?
Trending: Falling

(He's the only coach who is "falling". What a lazy author.)

Whether you like Marrone, don't like Marrone, I think you have to admit that any article that puts Kyle Flood ahead of him in head coaching rankings isn't worth the paper (or internet) that it was written on. Even more disappointing that it's Matt Hayes and the Sporting News.

I don't want to give him a mulligan, but if I had to, I'd have to say that it shows just how uninteresting the Big East really is to those who write nationally about college football.

If anyone was really paying attention, it would be one of those embarassing moments that a writer just says, yeah I mailed it in that day.

LOL the fact the Bucs made a horrendous hire doesnt change the fact Schiano was a horrible gameday coach. Would you have honestly hired Schiano to coach your Div 1 team less an NFL team? Outside of Strong theres not many BE coaches that at this point could get a high level gig.

I am a football fan.

I do not truly understand the X's and O's of the game and have no inside information on who is and who is not a great football coach.

I see what most of the posters on this board see - and that's not much frankly.

I find it hard to believe that the Glaziers would hire an incompetent football coach.

And I suspect that many of the BE coaches are highly regarded in the other conferences and at the next level.

I think most of us decide who is and who is not a good coach based upon the record. We really have no other means of measuring ability in that regard.

I'm not a big Schiano fan - not at all. But he must have something since he has been courted by a few solid programs over the years.

I am a football fan.

I do not truly understand the X's and O's of the game and have no inside information on who is and who is not a great football coach.

I see what most of the posters on this board see - and that's not much frankly.

I find it hard to believe that the Glaziers would hire an incompetent football coach.

And I suspect that many of the BE coaches are highly regarded in the other conferences and at the next level.

I think most of us decide who is and who is not a good coach based upon the record. We really have no other means of measuring ability in that regard.

I'm not a big Schiano fan - not at all. But he must have something since he has been courted by a few solid programs over the years.

The Glazers are well known for not being good at hiring coaches.

LOL the fact the Bucs made a horrendous hire doesnt change the fact Schiano was a horrible gameday coach. Would you have honestly hired Schiano to coach your Div 1 team less an NFL team? Outside of Strong theres not many BE coaches that at this point could get a high level gig.

I agree to a large extent on Schiano as a game-day coach but feel it should be pointed out that being a successful college coach is probably as dependent -- if not more dependent -- on non-game day related activities than it is on Xs and Os. Especially if you consider that coordinators can handle those details.

So while I think Schiano did indeed fail to translate all the success he had Sun-Fri on Saturdays, I tend to think it had more to do with not quite finding the right mix of coordinators. I mean, it's not like his teams didn't play hard or lacked talent. He was obviously a driving force behind stuff like the facilities upgrades the acquisition of a helicopter (which we can make fun of but I guarantee it impressed several 17-year-olds). I mean, the guy may have played weak schedules and had something of a house of cards, but rescuing RU from the depths to which they had sunk was a minor miracle.

excellent recruiter and spin artist, left ru for the money and the lack of conference affiliation upgrade

I agree to a large extent on Schiano as a game-day coach but feel it should be pointed out that being a successful college coach is probably as dependent -- if not more dependent -- on non-game day related activities than it is on Xs and Os. Especially if you consider that coordinators can handle those details.

So while I think Schiano did indeed fail to translate all the success he had Sun-Fri on Saturdays, I tend to think it had more to do with not quite finding the right mix of coordinators. I mean, it's not like his teams didn't play hard or lacked talent. He was obviously a driving force behind stuff like the facilities upgrades the acquisition of a helicopter (which we can make fun of but I guarantee it impressed several 17-year-olds). I mean, the guy may have played weak schedules and had something of a house of cards, but rescuing RU from the depths to which they had sunk was a minor miracle.

Good point.

He built a solid program.

He accumulated talent.

Those are the cornerstones to success - without talent nobody can win on the field.

So, yes, he did not seem to be a great game time coach, but he had enough success to get a lot of attention.

So, the Glaziers were poor judges of coaching talent when they fired two quality coaches that they had previously hired?

Wow this stuff gets confusing.

Good point.

He built a solid program.

He accumulated talent.

Those are the cornerstones to success - without talent nobody can win on the field.

So, yes, he did not seem to be a great game time coach, but he had enough success to get a lot of attention.

He was there what? 12 years?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
colpars13

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom