College hoops and nutrition | Syracusefan.com

College hoops and nutrition

It was a good article.

Some trivia.

The author of that piece, ZACH SCHONBRUN, is a Newhouse grad. Wrote for the DO. Very good writer.

He was recently married at a ceremony officiated by Supreme Court justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who is Zach's cousin...

That is good trivia.

If we're picking nits (hey, it jumped out at me), using the Napier quote -- at least in that context -- along with the word "archaic" was heavy-handed and smacked of editorializing. Was going to mention it in the OP, then thought that this was probably a Newhouse guy and maybe someone's friend or relative and should tread lightly. What're the odds...

That is good trivia.

If we're picking nits (hey, it jumped out at me), using the Napier quote -- at least in that context -- along with the word "archaic" was heavy-handed and smacked of editorializing. Was going to mention it in the OP, then thought that this was probably a Newhouse guy and maybe someone's friend or relative and should tread lightly. What're the odds...
I don't know Zach but remembered the name and googled him to confirm was a Syracuse guy. Agree with the nit...also don't like giving that whiner credit for today's players having the option to eat organic gummy bears.

I need to work on being nicer.

Good article. Important to try to eat 'actual' food.

Wonder what the guys trying to add weight eat

I'm not a nutritionist and don't pay a ton of attention to the technical aspect of what those people do, but in my couple years of experience with a basketball program it looked like emphasis was on feeding the thin guys frequently. A dozen small meals a day, anything that's not junk food, lots of protein bars and shakes.

The hotel buffet thing rang true with my experience. I remember one day before our conference tournament game the coach flipped out because the hotel staff put out a chafing dish of alfredo along with the red sauce for the pregame meal. He was no nutritionist, but he didn't want alfredo in the guys' diets. (Like the burgers for Marquette players, the banned food was exactly what the team seemed to like best.)

Interesting that Marquette replaced a "greasy spoon" for road trips with a more customized arrangement with Whole Foods. We always went with the former, a little collegetown deli that would take the team's order the day before a trip. One more reason I'm quick to say Napier was FOS: at our little low-major D-I school, players (and staff) were encouraged to go wild with the traveling food orders. Not uncommon for someone to order 3 or 4 calzones for himself. Nutritionally it's crap, but that'll leave a guy with food to graze on for a long time. Nobody's going hungry.

interesting . . . coincidentally, just this morning I was reading this new research on the impact of healthy lunches on academic performance . . . short version: healthy lunches make kids smarter

interesting . . . coincidentally, just this morning I was reading this new research on the impact of healthy lunches on academic performance . . . short version: healthy lunches make kids smarter

It makes sense. You can get the calories needed (and protein) as well from adding lentils/quinoa to some meat meals or whatever. Not 'empty' calories either. So eat less get full more and with all natural stuff. Wonder why it is easy to crush a bag of chips or some frozen pizza? Because it is mostly not food and all artificial. Your body is like What is going on? Why can't I get full? Same with fast food. Not much 'food' there. Good food should make you smarter.

I wonder how much the basketball program does regarding regulation of what the players are eating before, during and after the season. I suspect they are free to eat anything they want. Like the use of advanced statistical analytics, I fear the program is in the stone age.

Chipotle. McDonald's. Jimmy John's. Those are the places I hear and read about the basketball team eating at.

High level D1 athletes should not be eating Chipotle, McD, or Jimmy John's. As a snack once in awhile ok. I was shocked to see that above. Even back around 2000 when I was at USC there was an athletes only cafeteria/restaurant. Open 24/7. They could have anything they want made to order. Mostly good stuff.

I wonder how much the basketball program does regarding regulation of what the players are eating before, during and after the season. I suspect they are free to eat anything they want. Like the use of advanced statistical analytics, I fear the program is in the stone age.

Chipotle. McDonald's. Jimmy John's. Those are the places I hear and read about the basketball team eating at.

Any athletic department that keeps Will Hicks around is in the stone age.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom