College Needs A Rule Change For Verbals | Syracusefan.com

College Needs A Rule Change For Verbals

mantonio

Starter
There should be a penalty for any student who verbals to one school, then changes their mind.

Schools spend thousands of dollars & man hours in their recruiting efforts, & when they get a commitment, they have too much invested in those players, & do not spend more time recruiting for the positions they have already filled, assuming they have their guys. NCAA rules make it difficult for coaches to make up for those losses when the player de-commits. So, is the coaching staff expected to over recruit, then drop some players once they get a signed contract? That is unfair to the players who would be dumped, so it's a no go.

Here's the new rule:

First, you MUST commit to a school no less than 6 months before the first summer training camp.

If you verbally commit to a school, you have 3 days to change your mind. After that period, if you change your commitment, you lose one year of your scholarship, wherever you decide to play, & that new school must pay the school of first commitment no less than 1 million dollars.

I realize this weakens the meaning of the signing period, but we live in a different world now. The technology of video & the internet has replaced the importance of a signed piece of paper, & everyone can witness the intentions of each recruit with absolute clarity. It's more binding than a signed piece of paper.

Maybe we just get rid of verbal commitments altogether, if it really has no meaning in its current format...

Um, no.

If my son wants to change his mind 2...3...4 or even 5 times before the signing day, so be it. Just because a school spent time and energy recruiting someone should have no bearing on their decision to attend that school.

Um, no.

If my son wants to change his mind 2...3...4 or even 5 times before the signing day, so be it. Just because a school spent time and energy recruiting someone should have no bearing on their decision to attend that school.

Sorry, but it's the best time to teach young people about the importance of keeping their word. It is absolutely WRONG for a kid to make a decision, which costs a school hundreds of thousands of bux, then change their mind at the last minute.

You should be teaching your child to do their diligence & make ONE decision based on sound reasoning.

YOU are the one who is wrong to teach your kid sloppiness & wastefulness...

I understand that circumstances change, & sometimes the school loses their coaching staff, so the rules could be tailored for these allowances.

However, our kids need sound guidance from their parents, & what kind of parent would tell their kid to throw around verbal commitments like picnic footballs...

So this is SOPA for high school football players?

You should write a song that proposes this and send it to the NCAA.

Stuck in an airport, waiting for a plane, trying to get home for a family emergency, and this quote just literally made me laugh out loud. Thank you Bnoro for a great one liner and a laugh on a not great day.

Maybe we just get rid of verbal commitments altogether, if it really has no meaning in its current format...

You do realize that a verbal commitment isn't actually a commitment, right?

You do realize that a verbal commitment isn't actually a commitment, right?

My contention is, it IS a commitment. In this day & age, everyone sees it, & the coaching staffs of each school spend large resources on that verbal nod. They don't have time to keep focusing on recruiting for each position, with the expectation that they will lose that kid's verbal promise.

What's the point of the verbal commitment then? Tell my WHY it is an integral part of college recruiting, if it is not considered a commitment?

What are we teaching kids? Go ahead & tell that school you want them, then shop around some more?

Stuck in an airport, waiting for a plane, trying to get home for a family emergency, and this quote just literally made me laugh out loud. Thank you Bnoro for a great one liner and a laugh on a not great day.
Funny? He says the same thing every day. It's an old joke...

My contention is, it IS a commitment. In this day & age, everyone sees it, & the coaching staffs of each school spend large resources on that verbal nod. They don't have time to keep focusing on recruiting for each position, with the expectation that they will lose that kid's verbal promise.

What's the point of the verbal commitment then? Tell my WHY it is an integral part of college recruiting, if it is not considered a commitment?

What are we teaching kids? Go ahead & tell that school you want them, then shop around some more?

It's not an integral part. The only commitment is what is signed on the paper.

These players are making a huge three or four year decision that will set the stage for the rest of their life. They deserve every opportunity to figure out what the right decision is. What do you think is more valuable, those resources to a school, or the life-altering college decision to a teenager?

I'm pissed that Brantley decommitted too, he was the player I was most excited about...but take off the orange-colored glasses, jeez.

As a adult, I see your point of view, however, I cannot agree with it. People change their mind all the time. Like it or not, that's the reality. Yeah, I'm really disapointed with DT Brantley picking Missouri over us, but that's his decision. My guess is that DT coach Jimmy Braumbaugh being fired had big impact on his commitment. If my memory is correct, I remember reading an article about how energetic Coach Braumbaugh was and he was really a good coach. I was bit surprised to hear that he got fired...

Not to be negative, but our recruting class on paper looks very very mediocre. Hope ranking doesn't mean much 3-4 years later.

I agree it's a big decision, but it affects more than just that student, it affects the school also. Kids need to learn about the importance of commitments, & allowing them to verbal every time another school puts on their dog & pony show is completely ridiculous, & it actually does harm the schools involved.

Maybe verbal commitments should not be allowed, & the kid should simply be allowed to shop around until signing day, & that is it. This makes more sense.

As a adult, I see your point of view, however, I cannot agree with it. People change their mind all the time. Like it or not, that's the reality. Yeah, I'm really disapointed with DT Brantley picking Missouri over us, but that's his decision. My guess is that DT coach Jimmy Braumbaugh being fired had big impact on his commitment. If my memory is correct, I remember reading an article about how energetic Coach Braumbaugh was and he was really a good coach. I was bit surprised to hear that he got fired...

Not to be negative, but our recruting class on paper looks very very mediocre. Hope ranking doesn't mean much 3-4 years later.

This is not just a kid quitting one job, & going to another. This is BIG BUSINESS where millions of dollars are at stake. People do change their mind all the time, but most of us don't affect large groups of people with our decisions. In the world of major college athletics, kids have to learn to grow up much faster than the average person, & must make better decisions.

This is not just a kid quitting one job, & going to another. This is BIG BUSINESS where millions of dollars are at stake. People do change their mind all the time, but most of us don't affect large groups of people with our decisions. In the world of major college athletics, kids have to learn to grow up much faster than the average person, & must make better decisions.
and how much of that money do the kids get?

If the NC- double should do anything it's institute an early signing period. Take some of the pressure off the kids.

There should be a penalty for any student who verbals to one school, then changes their mind.

Schools spend thousands of dollars & man hours in their recruiting efforts, & when they get a commitment, they have too much invested in those players, & do not spend more time recruiting for the positions they have already filled, assuming they have their guys. NCAA rules make it difficult for coaches to make up for those losses when the player de-commits. So, is the coaching staff expected to over recruit, then drop some players once they get a signed contract? That is unfair to the players who would be dumped, so it's a no go.

Here's the new rule:

First, you MUST commit to a school no less than 6 months before the first summer training camp.

If you verbally commit to a school, you have 3 days to change your mind. After that period, if you change your commitment, you lose one year of your scholarship, wherever you decide to play, & that new school must pay the school of first commitment no less than 1 million dollars.

I realize this weakens the meaning of the signing period, but we live in a different world now. The technology of video & the internet has replaced the importance of a signed piece of paper, & everyone can witness the intentions of each recruit with absolute clarity. It's more binding than a signed piece of paper.

If kids weren't badgered so early in the process to give their "commitment" maybe they wouldn't change their mind so often. The kid is locked in when he signs his letter of intent. Your rule change would simply be the same as changing signing day. How would you propose to validate this oral commitment? Would they have to put it in writing? Oh wait, that's a letter of intent. In regards to "Maybe we just get rid of verbal commitments altogether, if it really has no meaning in it's current format", they never had meaning! It is a term the media came up with and they have never been anything official, that is why they are called non-binding. I know fans think that this process is all about us, but we need to remember it's not.

No, FB just needs an early signing period and more gentlemen for coaches. Also, if the schools can change their minds or over offer, why shouldn't kids be able to change theirs, if there is no writing. Once a scholarship is for 5 years, not one, I will worry about the schools.

The kids and there picking a college are the absolute last thing that needs to be looked at

If the NC- double should do anything it's institute an early signing period. Take some of the pressure off the kids.

agreed. the only thing that should be changed is the addition of an early signing period.

If coaches bail then kids should be able to bail to.

You're overblowing this. Every competitive football program loses and gains players in the same fashion (verballed players flipping and flipping verbals from other programs). To say that millions of dollars are at stake by a few players flipping every year is an overreaction, imo.

You're overblowing this. Every competitive football program loses and gains players in the same fashion (verballed players flipping and flipping verbals from other programs). To say that millions of dollars are at stake by a few players flipping every year is an overreaction, imo.

Agreed, its all part of the game, it happens

Maybe verbal commitments should not be allowed, & the kid should simply be allowed to shop around until signing day, & that is it. This makes more sense.

You realize that a 'verbal commitment' is literally a kid telling some dude from Scout or Rivals that he's committed, right? That's it, a brief statement. You think kids should stop being able to talk?

Here's the new rule:

You sir are delusional!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom