College team depth | Syracusefan.com

College team depth

ClamOtto

2nd String
The article about MD got me wondering why college teams don't more regularly have serious depth problems. In the period from April to November, or more importantly the 11 months from April to March, teams can lose players to the NBA, transfer, injury and eligibility issues. But, except in rare circumstances, they can't add anybody. Lots of folks around here, including me, are concerned about going into the season with only 9 healthy scholarship players not because you need more than a nine man rotation but because it's so rare to get through a season without injuries and suspensions.

In the pros you can always add free agents or farm team players, but college rosters are frozen no matter how many guys you lose. But I can't recall other teams running out of scholarship players like we did in 07-8, and could again this year if things go badly. Is this just because I'm not paying enough attention to other teams?

The article about MD got me wondering why college teams don't more regularly have serious depth problems. In the period from April to November, or more importantly the 11 months from April to March, teams can lose players to the NBA, transfer, injury and eligibility issues. But, except in rare circumstances, they can't add anybody. Lots of folks around here, including me, are concerned about going into the season with only 9 healthy scholarship players not because you need more than a nine man rotation but because it's so rare to get through a season without injuries and suspensions.

In the pros you can always add free agents or farm team players, but college rosters are frozen no matter how many guys you lose. But I can't recall other teams running out of scholarship players like we did in 07-8, and could again this year if things go badly. Is this just because I'm not paying enough attention to other teams?

Back in the late 90s, Iowa had to use two walk-ons - Darryl Moore and Jason Bauer - because of injuries and illness at the beginning of the year. Moore actually ended up being a good player. Averaged about 7 points a game, started several games and earned a scholarship for his senior year.

Happened at Vandy last year, one walk-on started at PG, and another guy was the third guy off the bench. Injuries, summer transfers, suspensions

Cinncy some years back snagged some guys off the football team so they could field a full squad. Some of those guys got decent minutes too.

Wasn't pretty.

Cinncy some years back snagged some guys off the football team so they could field a full squad. Some of those guys got decent minutes too.

Wasn't pretty.

I remember that. I think Connor Barwin was one of the guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom