College venues | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

College venues

There doesn't seem to be any reason for the students to be connected to the experience. In 2018 cheers aren't enough. Neither is welcome to the jungle. It needs to be an event that kids (students) want to go to, not their parents.

If, as studies have shown, these kids truly want to live at home with their parents and don’t even care to get their drivers licenses, and want to stay in the house and use their phones all day, I’m not sure what SU/the Carrier Dome can do about that?

Yep, student attendance for football was up 35%. So that’s great. It may not be where people would like but it’s heading in the right direction which is unheard of around the country where most everyone is having attendance issues.

As to finals and attendance, you’re dead on there too. Next week is finals week. Many tend to not take them as serious as they do but many do take academics very serious. My son is a senior and he’s been engrossed with his senior capstone project. He finally wraps that up this afternoon with a presentation and he’ll be able to exhale. After Gtown we won’t see students for a month. Then I’d expect them to get their groove back.
35%?? Wow. Talk about throwing a haymaker at national trends. Good for Wildhack, dino and the students i’ve been critical of for years.

I’d believe finals were an issue for students if they actually showed up for games during the normal semester. Big drop off from the early to mid oughts when I had to show up an hour early just to guarantee a first level seat.

There doesn't seem to be any reason for the students to be connected to the experience. In 2018 cheers aren't enough. Neither is welcome to the jungle. It needs to be an event that kids (students) want to go to, not their parents.

There is probably an opportunity somewhere here to really change the way fans interact with the game. I don't know what exactly, but imagine something like cheer cards or yell leaders, but done via a phone app that could connect the entire stadium to a coordinated effort, quick replays streamed directly to the fans in the stands, stats, etc right on their phone live updating. No fumbling with 5 minutes of surfing on your phone to find any of that stuff, taking you out of the game experience, or taking your attention off supporting the team. Could have an easy interface to upload selfies, game experience video snippets, etc to your social media accounts, or to the school/arena's accounts - could link that to the jumbotron during stoppages (sort of a crowd sourced kiss cam). Hell you could even order concessions to be brought to your section/row. I think I just invented a sports fan in-arena app...

That seems to coincide with the offense going into the toilet. Probably coincidence.

On a more hopeful note, are any of the dome improvements targeting the basketball atmosphere? Seats closer to the court, more pullout seating with better sight lines...
You think college students are deciding whether or not to attend a game based on the type of offense the coach is running?

UCLA has one of the worst atmospheres I've seen from the P5 conferences.

I will go home hoarse tomorrow, just as I always do.

The loudest I've ever heard the Dome was for the Michigan NIT game, 3/19/81. We made our first 16 shots of the second half to blow away a favored team. Most of them would be three pointers today. The crowd hadn't calmed down from the last one when the next bomb rippled the cords so the decibels just built and built and built until every one was on a literal high. The attendance that night was 20,765.

Yep, student attendance for football was up 35%. So that’s great. It may not be where people would like but it’s heading in the right direction which is unheard of around the country where most everyone is having attendance issues.

As to finals and attendance, you’re dead on there too. Next week is finals week. Many tend to not take them as serious as they do but many do take academics very serious. My son is a senior and he’s been engrossed with his senior capstone project. He finally wraps that up this afternoon with a presentation and he’ll be able to exhale. After Gtown we won’t see students for a month. Then I’d expect them to get their groove back.
Good grief Bees! I know time passes quickly as you get older but it seems like yesterday that you were posting about getting your son ready for college.

If, as studies have shown, these kids truly want to live at home with their parents and don’t even care to get their drivers licenses, and want to stay in the house and use their phones all day, I’m not sure what SU/the Carrier Dome can do about that?

I'm not sure either. Just comparing two different schools, look at Duke's venue. The Cameron Crazies feel they have to go and be crazy I suppose. They get involved every time the opponent throws the ball in from out of bounds. It looks like they have a blast doing this. It's something that gives the students a reason to go and a purpose while there.

There is probably an opportunity somewhere here to really change the way fans interact with the game. I don't know what exactly, but imagine something like cheer cards or yell leaders, but done via a phone app that could connect the entire stadium to a coordinated effort, quick replays streamed directly to the fans in the stands, stats, etc right on their phone live updating. No fumbling with 5 minutes of surfing on your phone to find any of that stuff, taking you out of the game experience, or taking your attention off supporting the team. Could have an easy interface to upload selfies, game experience video snippets, etc to your social media accounts, or to the school/arena's accounts - could link that to the jumbotron during stoppages (sort of a crowd sourced kiss cam). Hell you could even order concessions to be brought to your section/row. I think I just invented a sports fan in-arena app...

I like that idea. Kids need small rewards to stay involved and engaged. From a marketing perspective that app could have alot of possibilities and QR code offers for those who have downloaded it.

I go to every game every year for 20 years. I think I have a better perspective on the overall fan experience than someone who goes to two or three games a year and someone who goes to great games in great seats.
She was actually supporting a large part of your argument. This sounds like an attack on someone that lives out is state so doesn’t come to every game, yet still supports the program by purchasing those “great seats” for every game. Her perspective on our venue versus others is coming from first hand knowledge as I am certain she’s been to many others.

Obie9 and I have had season tickets since the early 90’s and attended games going back to Manley. We have also traveled to the majority of Big East and ACC venues, attended non Syracuse games at a variety of other schools, and been to tournament and neutral site games. Yes there are places that have more energetic atmospheres, but we’ve seen others that are practically empty for conference games. The Dome has its positives and negatives... it is what it is. Complaining about it doesn’t change anything. If you have constructive feedback that is possible to do ( not going to get a basketball only place so have to work with what we have) share it. Wildhack listens and is working hard to make positive change.

We also play a ton of boring games - that probably doesn't help. I mean, JB plays to win, but we're certainly not giving anyone the most entertaining brand of basketball any more. That likely sucks out some energy - especially from a crowd that is mostly non-students. Those people are probably a tad more finicky - you gotta get them excited, they're too old to just get excited because they're at a game (like students who just want a moment to be excited about - who cares what it is - so the game itself is less important).

Look at Marquette against the same opponent buffalo what a difference in atmosphere.
They are playing better so that helps but it’s not the whole thing

Look at Marquette against the same opponent buffalo what a difference in atmosphere.
They are playing better so that helps but it’s not the whole thing
I would say playing better is the thing. I’m pretty sure the atmosphere would be different if Tyus went off like that Howard kid or if our starters went like 70% from three.

I would say playing better is the thing. I’m pretty sure the atmosphere would be different if Tyus went off like that Howard kid or if our starters went like 70% from three.

We don’t have that kind of personnel.

We don’t have that kind of personnel.
Exactly my point although I think we can get better. That’s where it starts (shooting), then going off like that is another level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom