Companion question to the "silly question" thread.. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Companion question to the "silly question" thread..

Usually live but DVR when need be like tonight. I send out 'no spoiler alerts' to everyone who may text me during a game. I fight the temptation to check scores live as much as possible when DVRing.

I don't like watching games completely DVR'd. Would rather watch them live. At times it is nice to pause the game when I have to do something, get food, drink, bathroom break, etc. Gives me a little time to skip the commercials and still stay close to live time. Plus I kind of feel weird yelling or cheering when I know the play has already happened minutes earlier. I am yelling/cheering at a recording not a live viewing.

YEEESSSS. And then, a very unsettling thought occurs. Maybe, just maybe, it doesn't matter whether I am yelling in the present or the past. Maybe I have no influence whatsoever on the outcome of the game! <shudder>

Could that possibly be true? Because I don't want to live in that world.

I love technology, but for some reason I just hate DVR. I miss the good ole days when people watched shows when they were on, and they talked about the show the following day. Now, if you try to bring up a show to someone, 9 times out of 10 you get, "don't say anything, I DVRed it and still need to watch!" Annoys me to death.

In terms of SU basketball, I could never, ever not watch a game live. Simply impossible. Knowing that the final outcome has already been determined and everyone knows except me would eat away at my soul.

I'm surprised that some of you guys are so impatient regarding commercials. I know we're an instant gratification society, but darn, that seems awfully extreme. I kind of like commercials, especially during the end of games. It's a chance to catch my breath, pee if necessary, pace around the room a little bit, and text my friends about the game.

Usually watch games live (especially during the NCAA's). When I have to DVR, I shut my phone off, and make my wife do the same. Neither of us gets on the Internet either. I like the game to be a surprise, even if it's a bad one.

I'm surprised that some of you guys are so impatient regarding commercials. I know we're an instant gratification society, but darn, that seems awfully extreme. I kind of like commercials, especially during the end of games. It's a chance to catch my breath, pee if necessary, pace around the room a little bit, and text my friends about the game.
Even repeat #4,695 of the yuppies crammed into the tiny Chevy singing Spandau Ballet?

I have to watch in real time. If that wasn't possible, I'd opt to listen in real time. No exceptions.

If I can't watch live I DVR it, I have to watch the game itself and can't rely on boxscores/updates. If I am out during a game, my phone goes off, I avoid people, and I wait until I get home to watch it for myself.

In Florida for the KState game I VHS'd the game (only option) instead of relying on my phone or internet.

I have to watch in real time. If that wasn't possible, I'd opt to listen in real time. No exceptions.

Agreed...during the BE Tourney, I watched SU's first game on my phone in my car, at my office's parking lot. I brought my satellite radio in the office, but could not get a signal. Even ran the antenna up through the ceiling tiles, over the wall and out the back door and could not pick up a good signal. So watched most of the game on my phone, until that signal started having issues. So the last five minutes or so I went out to my car and sat in the parking lot watching the game on my phone.

Agreed...during the BE Tourney, I watched SU's first game on my phone in my car, at my office's parking lot. I brought my satellite radio in the office, but could not get a signal. Even ran the antenna up through the ceiling tiles, over the wall and out the back door and could not pick up a good signal. So watched most of the game on my phone, until that signal started having issues. So the last five minutes or so I went out to my car and sat in the parking lot watching the game on my phone.
Love the effort. I got a little choked up reading that. :)

I was always a 'watch the game live' type until the last few years. Once my daughter was born things changed... the bedtime ritual and all. I often DVR, get her to bed and then start watching about 30-40 minutes after the game has started. This is the perfect amount of time to ff through all the commercials and halftime, and catch up to live in the last few minutes.

I will say that for NCAA tourney games, I HAVE to watch live.

And I'm also in the 'getting texts throughout the game' boat (often from the OP - Steveholt), so I usually send out a text prior to the game for 'no spoilers' if I'm going the DVR route.

mason
close to ditto across the board w/what Mason said, including last few minutes live. I just don't check email and I turn off my cell...

Love the effort. I got a little choked up reading that. :)

Would have been interesting if I got hurt doing that. I would have had to explain why I was standing on the arm of the love seat and the mini-fridge in my office to run an antenna through the ceiling and over a wall for a basketball game. Also, I am the Unit Safety Representative.

LOVE the DVR. I record things that I want to watch at some later time. Fast forward through the commercials, and reduce the viewing time by 1/3. Also, I record SU games just in case I want to go back and look at something again afterward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom