Complete Mismatch with Clemson | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Complete Mismatch with Clemson

Maliq does a lot of things very well, but he has two weaknesses:

1. He is a poor interior defender

2. He does not have a go to move.

Part of the problem is that he is a 4 - 5 tweener and not a true center.

I keep going back to a few games ago when he hit multiple treys - I dont believe he has even tried one since then - why not ??
He needs to develop some asset on offense - he misses too many layups and has not demonstrated a dribble move, a post move, a jumper. I love him and think he's our most valuable player but he needs to develop an offensive game.

our best set last night was the alley oop pick and roll out of the timeout. where's that been ?

I think that Taylor and Carey are gone, and who knows if Westry and McCloud will ever be productive. Big guys with non-contact foot problems and explosive guards with leg issues usually don't end well at D1 level.

I hope Judah gets serious NIL to stay - his game has "really good G league player" vibes at the moment. I also hope they have a serious discussion with Bell about nutrition and defense. He's not ever going to be an all-league defender, but he needs to get much stronger and at least be passable on defense to earn the minutes he wants.

Something has to give at forward sports - lots of pretty good role players but no three-level scorer we desperately need. Maybe Freeman can be that guy?

1. We can't beat a good team with Bell scoring only 7 points. Bell is probably the player talent-wise on the team most likely to make the NBA but he needs to be more consistent, getting open and making shots.
2. We have no true center. Can't really expect Taylor and Brown to guard these bruisers in the paint.

1. We can't beat a good team with Bell scoring only 7 points. Bell is probably the player talent-wise on the team most likely to make the NBA but he needs to be more consistent, getting open and making shots.
2. We have no true center. Can't really expect Taylor and Brown to guard these bruisers in the paint.

To play small ball you have to get elite play from your backcourt. We have talent there but efficiency and consistency not so much. We need some better size next year for sure and improvements in the aforementioned areas on both ends. We’ve seen where this team can play very well even with its flaws but also see where we simply cannot run out there without a couple seniors or grad txfrs and expect to win these kind of games or enough of them at least.

This year was undercut due to injuries and Jesse not being around and the more we look at it probably not having Joe around as well. Two 5th yr guys . We have some talent and experience to work with and sort out who comes back. In the meantime we have time to give the ACCT our best shot and see where the chips may fall.

I think that Bell is one of the few players on the team with an NBA skill, but it's very one dimensional and he brings nothing else.

The center position is a conundrum. Brown is one of the best players on the team, but his spot is PF, the same as an incoming McD AA who is going to start there. So either Brown goes back to the bench in favor of a portal C (or McLeod), he portals, or he stays and plays Center here. I think in a perfect world, we'd be able to have Freeman/Brown/Portal C/McLeod as the four guys for 80 minutes of PF/C. But I don't see how that happens.

More likely than not I feel that it will be Brown and Freeman starting as C and PF with McLeod off the bench. Which, I think, with Freeman's size and ability, could be doable. It's not ideal IMO, but a much better situation than Brown being on an island with either Taylor or Copeland as his PF.

I'm not talking about their team. Obviously, they are more talented.

I'm talking about their bush league decision to drown out the playcall microphone with the loudest and most obnoxious students they could find.

They tasked someone to make that happen and it was bush league as F.

Shocking, really.

I was beyond annoyed by that girl and the section, but I can't imagine they said..."OK, we need a bunch of idiots to make obnoxious screeching noises and call the ref "color blind" (how that even matters I still don't know), so that the broadcast is unwatchable."

He was a good player absolutely. Not big bodied and did not take up space like a bacot, hall, or chef hat
Good thing they're all done. Clemson will be a twelve seed next year

partially due to injury yes, but if these games against Clemson don’t put urgency in the staff to find a competent big bodied center then I don’t know what to say. I’m sure the staff knows obviously. This is a game McLeod is so missed. Would he have the capabilities of Hall? No. But we need a rim protector and that’s really bad luck he was injured. Regardless he wasn’t going to be the savior for us.

We are extremely flawed. We need proper matchups for us to do any damage in March. When in gods name will a program like Syracuse university be able to have a competent above average big man? It’s actually unbelievable how long it has been. It’s equivalent to how the OL for our football program is our Achilles heel.

Overall a solid year for reds first and I just hope we can build on this and add some much needed bigs.
I mean, yeah, we haven’t had consistent success at the center spot over the past decade but you can’t forget Jesse Edwards’ junior and senior years and Rak Christmas’s senior year. Those guys were excellent big men as upperclassmen and would have helped a ton on a team like this.

People are out of their mind with Brown. Sometimes I'm not sure what game people are watching. He's an All ACC defender and people want him to be an All ACC offensive 5 too as a Sophomore playing against super seniors.

Freeman and Brown will both start next year at the 4 and the 5 and we will dominate the noncon.

Tell me what ACC center you think Brown can not handle next year? We need a more reliable center off the bench to protect the rim when Brown does run into the matchups, but it will not be often,

It's a disservice to Maliq's future if he doesn't get to play significant minutes at the 4, and we need to make that happen. There should be matchups where he plays the 5, matchups where he plays the 4, and matchups where we mix it up.

We had an All-Acc center last year. We just didn’t keep him.
Jesse is too thin. There are ways getting around thin center like Jesse. I think it is the reason we want McLeod as our No. 1 center and don't fight for Jesse to stay.

Jesse is too thin. There are ways getting around thin center like Jesse. I think it is the reason we want McLeod as our No. 1 center and don't fight for Jesse to stay.
McLeod wasn't in the fold until after Jesse left, but no one - least of all the staff - would have willingly chosen McLeod over Jesse.

I was beyond annoyed by that girl and the section, but I can't imagine they said..."OK, we need a bunch of idiots to make obnoxious screeching noises and call the ref "color blind" (how that even matters I still don't know), so that the broadcast is unwatchable."

I assume whomever was tasked with making it happen thought it would be their version of "cameron crazies" behavior designed to make their student courtside look/sound crazy and fun.

I bet if they moved that boisterous student group 20 feet away down the line instead of within spitting distance of the playcall microphone, it might have had its intended effect of being audible (but not overpowering) to the palycalling.

The execution was terrible... they never should have been right behind the microphone.

And in other NCAA news, Filipowski is most definitely NBA bound now.

So I look forward to Maliq schooling this kid next season.

And in other NCAA news, Filipowski is most definitely NBA bound now.

So I look forward to Maliq schooling this kid next season.
Hmmm... 7'2 235 lbs, been playing under NBA Africa, and projected by ESPN as the #3 pick in the 2025 draft. Not too sure about Maliq schooling this kid next season. This is a case once again where we need a competent legit 7 foot center and move Maliq to his natural forward position. Hopefully, McLeod and Bradshaw can handle the job if we don't get lucky and get someone better in the portal.

Hmmm... 7'2 235 lbs, been playing under NBA Africa, and projected by ESPN as the #3 pick in the 2025 draft. Not too sure about Maliq schooling this kid next season. This is a case once again where we need a competent legit 7 foot center and move Maliq to his natural forward position. Hopefully, McLeod and Bradshaw can handle the job if we don't get lucky and get someone better in the portal.
Any "leftover" now backup big men SU get in the portal from Duke?

Urgency . it's not January.
Coaching ..
But he inherited recruits.
Who ... which ... he recruited.
I find that is an easy way to cast blame. You nor I know how the conversation went with him and the head coach JB. I would imagine HC has the call on who is a take and not. If he is told to recruit A B and C. Thats who he goes and gets.

It such a weird take on a situation you don’t know anything about.

I find that is an easy way to cast blame. You nor I know how the conversation went with him and the head coach JB. I would imagine HC has the call on who is a take and not. If he is told to recruit A B and C. Thats who he goes and gets.

It such a weird take on a situation you don’t know anything about.
Yeah. Okay.

partially due to injury yes, but if these games against Clemson don’t put urgency in the staff to find a competent big bodied center then I don’t know what to say. I’m sure the staff knows obviously. This is a game McLeod is so missed. Would he have the capabilities of Hall? No. But we need a rim protector and that’s really bad luck he was injured. Regardless he wasn’t going to be the savior for us.

We are extremely flawed. We need proper matchups for us to do any damage in March. When in gods name will a program like Syracuse university be able to have a competent above average big man? It’s actually unbelievable how long it has been. It’s equivalent to how the OL for our football program is our Achilles heel.

Overall a solid year for reds first and I just hope we can build on this and add some much needed bigs.
hall can shoot 3s, schefflein can shoot 3s, filipowsk can shoot 3s etc

need a big man that can SHOOT not just be tall and stand around

so tired of these centers who arent really basketball players...just tall guys

not sure why they dont look in europe - thats where a ton of NBA centers are from...bc they can usually shoot and have skill.

They are the one team I don't want to play in the ACC tournament, even more than Duke or Carolina.

Yeah. Make ACC finals and we can get an at large.

Tough year and the team had loads of talent in spots starting JJ over Copeland is pathetic.
taylor over cope is pathetic

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom