Conference Realignment - Basketball Future | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Conference Realignment - Basketball Future

I guess the Atlantic coast is about 3000 miles wide, huh?
Well, the Atlantic coast as it pertains to the ACC already included Kentucky and Indiana, so...

Weird conference names are in vogue; The Big 10 has more than 10 teams, the Big East has schools in Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Nebraska, and the Pac12 has zero schools...

wonder if there are any colleges in Moscow or Shanghai looking to join the ACC

On a serious note - SU is in an interesting position here now. If Red can back up the recruiting and relationship building with coaching chops and a lot more winning- SU could have an important role in giving the ACC a much needed boost in basketball relevance.

Outside of Miami and to a lesser extent VT, SU is the only program in the conference really going after the guard dominant approach that is proven to be where the game is at today and isn't moving away from anytime soon.

Duke of course is doing so to some extent too but also rolling in top 3 classes like usual.

With Miami replacing FSU as the rising upstart, Duke looking more like Duke, UVA being like the peak Pitt of the BE and UNC at least being a media paper tiger to stay relevant the ACC needs that other team. I think it needs SU-Duke too. Bring back the 30k in the Dome again like how things started for us in the ACC. Football of course is it's own conundrum but in hoops if things come together and break well for us it's a monster opportunity to fill that void.

On a serious note - SU is in an interesting position here now. If Red can back up the recruiting and relationship building with coaching chops and a lot more winning- SU could have an important role in giving the ACC a much needed boost in basketball relevance.

Outside of Miami and to a lesser extent VT, SU is the only program in the conference really going after the guard dominant approach that is proven to be where the game is at today and isn't moving away from anytime soon.

Duke of course is doing so to some extent too but also rolling in top 3 classes like usual.

With Miami replacing FSU as the rising upstart, Duke looking more like Duke, UVA being like the peak Pitt of the BE and UNC at least being a media paper tiger to stay relevant the ACC needs that other team. I think it needs SU-Duke too. Bring back the 30k in the Dome again like how things started for us in the ACC. Football of course is it's own conundrum but in hoops if things come together and break well for us it's a monster opportunity to fill that void.
On a bit of a tangent--

I think the days of 30,000+ crowds may be over with the new seating arrangement. The Dome will still probably have the largest capacity in college arenas.

The criticism from the media directed toward the ACC is ridiculous. Now realignment feels wrong? Now it doesn’t make sense?

The Big 10 has 18 teams, including four from the west coast, creating the same logistical travel concerns for almost half of the league.

The Big 12 has 16 teams and is probably already regretting adding Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF out of desperation.

Granted, the ACC should have merged with the remaining PAC-12 teams after USC and UCLA left, and adding Cal/Stanford/SMU for only football and basketball would have been preferable. Still, these additions are no different than anything else we’ve seen over the last few years. Seems like the media is disappointed that the ACC won’t be ripped to shreds just yet.

call me crazy. i'll take regional proximity over $$$$$ any day when forming a conference. what you got now is what you all asked for. pure lunacy. but hey i'm the crazy one.

Just spitballing here…Could the ACC position itself as the Ivy League of the P4 conferences?

Take Cal and Stanford first. Then kick the tires with Vanderbilt, Northwestern, and Texas A&M. I realize there’s not much of a chance of those schools walking away from Big 10/SEC money. Do those conferences really want Vanderbilt and Northwestern, though? And how disgruntled is A&M now that Texas is joining the SEC?

If you can get those schools, does that help with Notre Dame becoming a full-time member? And at that point, do you have a shot at a disgruntled USC? Again, I know the money isn’t there right now.

Schools like Clemson, FSU, NC State, and Virginia Tech are going to leave eventually. If the rest of the schools stay and you have at least some of the schools mentioned above, you have a conference that can be competitive in football while excelling in academics, basketball, and the other sports.

Meh, it’s probably a pipe dream.
In a perfect world, academics would rule over athletics for colleges and Universities. Clearly, at the P4 level, that is not the case.
Northwestern freely associates academically with schools that foster and protect sex abusers and pedophiles. Vanderbilt associates with Mississippi, etc.

call me crazy. i'll take regional proximity over $$$$$ any day when forming a conference. what you got now is what you all asked for. pure lunacy. but hey i'm the crazy one.
If you don’t go for the money, you can’t compete. If SU wants regional proximity, the Colonial or MAAC will work.

Wasn't Elon Musk or somebody supposed to build long magnetic tubes that would get you from the East Coast to California in like an hour? Or maybe a giant version of that air-powered thingy at the bank. Kinda loud, though.

Wasn't Elon Musk or somebody supposed to build long magnetic tubes that would get you from the East Coast to California in like an hour? Or maybe a giant version of that air-powered thingy at the bank. Kinda loud, though.

Don’t follow all that closely but I believe he later said that was mostly a joke. But I’m not sure about that. I’m pretty sure he did actually make a test tunnel in Hawthorn where SpaceX HQ is but my sense is that “The Boring Company” isn’t really very active and their top (only) product was a recreational flame thrower. Who knows?

Don’t follow all that closely but I believe he later said that was mostly a joke. But I’m not sure about that. I’m pretty sure he did actually make a test tunnel in Hawthorn where SpaceX HQ is but my sense is that “The Boring Company” isn’t really very active and their top (only) product was a recreational flame thrower. Who knows?
He said it was mostly a joke because the project has been mostly a failure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom