Congrats to UNC's players | Syracusefan.com

Congrats to UNC's players

raf4488

Starter
They are a talented, likable group and deserve their title this year.

But SU's program is crippled for doing something not 1/100th as bad for a much shorter period of time than the school who won the title and played in back to back title games. I'm not upset UNC "got off" (and they may not if the NCAA ever resolves this), I'm mad at the injustice of it all. I'm mad one school gets to play by a different and much more favorable set of rules.

One term paper and drug testing vs. two decades of systematic academic fraud for the express purpose of flouting the NCAA's own eligibility rules.

And the school and the administration in Chapel Hill has been combative and arrogant in the face of overwhelming evidence against them. The NCAA arbitrarily enforces its own rules, and the most egregious rulebreaker is the one that escapes punishment (and is completely unapologetic about it).

So, NCAA: Either enforce your own rules, or let the schools police their own athletic departments. Whatever you decide, just be consistent.

They are a talented, likable group and deserve their title this year.

But SU's program is crippled for doing something not 1/100th as bad for a much shorter period of time than the school who won the title and played in back to back title games. I'm not upset UNC "got off" (and they may not if the NCAA ever resolves this), I'm mad at the injustice of it all. I'm mad one school gets to play by a different and much more favorable set of rules.

One term paper and drug testing vs. two decades of systematic academic fraud for the express purpose of flouting the NCAA's own eligibility rules.

And the school and the administration in Chapel Hill has been combative and arrogant in the face of overwhelming evidence against them. The NCAA arbitrarily enforces its own rules, and the most egregious rulebreaker is the one that escapes punishment (and is completely unapologetic about it).

So, NCAA: Either enforce your own rules, or let the schools police their own athletic departments. Whatever you decide, just be consistent.
I don't agree with your first sentence

There are untouchables in the NCAA - UNC is one of them. Every SU fan better be ready for them to skate (at least on hoops penalties).

Pretty sure if Syracuse committed systemic fraud for 20 years we wouldn't have a basketball or football program, but believe what you want to believe.
Why is that UNC's fault instead of the NCAA's?

Why is that UNC's fault instead of the NCAA's?

You're getting way to caught up in the NCAA and UNC. I am looking directly at the media. The media is who came down on Syracuse. The Mark Schwartz/Pat Forde's/ESPN's/national media publically prosecuted us while they sit on their tookuss with UNC and do nothing. So yes I am bitter and will be until something happens. I'm not saying you do this because you don't, but I'm tired of some of our "so called fans" making excuses for every other program that they never make for us. Makes zero sense to me.

Get the sentiment of the OP but these players all chose to attend UNC knowing the cloud the program was under, knowing that there was widespread, historic academic fraud and knowing that there was at least a possibility of an intensive NCAA investigation. Same as Penn State football. They each weighed their values and chose to ignore the issue. Their decision, fully their right but even though they did not directly participate in the paper AFAM course they chose to attend the institution that suborned it.

Nah, Unctar88 will tell you it's a media circus and the FACTS tell the story

Actually no he won't, because he talks in circles like a circus act

"Trust me bro!"

Give them a break, they have had a lot to "endure".

There are untouchables in the NCAA - UNC is one of them. Every SU fan better be ready for them to skate (at least on hoops penalties).

There are certain programs that are immune to NCAA penalties. In football, they are the premier programs in each conference:

ACC: Clemson
Big-10: Penn State, Ohio State
Big 12: Oklahoma
Pac-12: USC
SEC: Alabama, Auburn

These schools are the darlings of the NCAA. There is no way they'd ever discipline them.

There are certain programs that are immune to NCAA penalties. In football, they are the premier programs in each conference:

ACC: Clemson
Big-10: Penn State, Ohio State
Big 12: Oklahoma
Pac-12: USC
SEC: Alabama, Auburn

These schools are the darlings of the NCAA. There is no way they'd ever discipline them.
I agree there are certain untouchables which I think UNC is one. YOur football examples I 'm not sure of because a number have already been dinged - USC, OSU, PSU.

Seriously .. if he played and we won the title .. and they took it away from us ex post facto .. I would not give one less shyte

True dat. Can't ever take the euphoria I surely would have felt away, and that's really what it's all about.

I hate analogies, but here comes one:

UNC are the criminals, and the NCAA the (Keystone) cops. Damn right I blame those who did the crime as opposed to those who have bungled the investigation.
"crime" - lol

I hate analogies, but here comes one:

UNC are the criminals, and the NCAA the (Keystone) cops. Damn right I blame those who did the crime as opposed to those who have bungled the investigation.
I got no quarrel w/ UNC, and like the OP I feel they deserved and earned their redemption NC this year.
That being said, PayPalCal is about as clean as NY snow, yet he keeps doing what he does with WWWes at his side. The NCAA does nothing, nada, zilch. At some point you simply tip your hat to him, or UNC, or anyone else running game, and keep it moving.
Don't hate the playa, hate the game!