Consecutive winning seasons | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Consecutive winning seasons

Bump... is the streak still considered official due to the sanctions? If so very likely ending this year.

We should start a thread titled "vacating a win is about as about as pointless as..."

Brent Axe in his Facebook post after the Va Tech game described making the NCAA tournament as a 'pipe dream'. My words exactly. it think the focus now goes to continuing the streak, which will also be an uphill battle. I think the streak is important because it unites generations of SU players, coaches and fans and because it's our biggest bragging point against schools we consider our national rivals who have more Final Fours, NCAA titles, All-Americas, NBA stars, etc. they all have had even or losing records since we last did. UCLA's record of 54 straight seasons is within sight. You can have an NIT year and win the national title the next year, (as we did in 2002-03). But if we lose the streak, we'll never be in this position again in our lifetime.

That makes these last two losses almost tragic. if we'd pulled out those home games against mediocre teams, we'd be 10-5 and 3-5 against ACC level teams. You don't know what will happen in the post season so you want to try to clinch the continuation of the streak in the regular season. That means 17 wins, since you can only lose two post season games at the most. 17 wins is 17-14. if we were 10-5, (3-5), we'd need to go 7-9 the rest of the season. Now we need to go 9-7 as a team now 1-7 against ACC level competition. That's a huge turn-around. :(

Last edited:
what does over 500 really mean when the quality of opponents we've beaten (oakland,colgate for the 50th time, north florida and niagara et al) mean ? i could care less about the streak. i want us to battle and beat the big boys. to prove we belong again in the conversation. not to feast and fatten ourselves on cupcakes.

(edit :also the fact we had to play our starters 40 minutes against some of these teams (oakland ,north florida)
should also send a message as to the state of orange basketball.we got bigger issues than the streak.

Last edited:
what does over 500 really mean when the quality of opponents we've beaten (oakland,colgate for the 50th time, north florida and niagara et al) mean ? i could care less about the streak. i want us to battle and beat the big boys. to prove we belong again in the conversation. not to feast and fatten ourselves on cupcakes.

(edit :also the fact we had to play our starters 40 minutes against some of these teams (oakland ,north florida)
should also send a message as to the state of orange basketball.we got bigger issues than the streak.

Even if the streak doesn't float your boat, it's not something that prevents us from achieving other goals. Those other goals aren't obtainable unless we continue the streak. All goals lie in the same direction. The streak is just the first goal that we can mathematically obtain each year. in this season, it's probably the only goal we can obtain. So let's try and get it.

Brent Axe in his Facebook post after the Va Tech game described making the NCAA tournament as a 'pipe dream'. My words exactly. it think the focus now goes to continuing the streak, which will also be an uphill battle. I think the streak is important because it unites generations of SU players, coaches and fans and because it's our biggest bragging point against schools we consider our national rivals who have more Final Fours, NCAA titles, All-Americas, NBA stars, etc. they all have had even or losing records since we last did. UCLA's record of 54 straight seasons is within sight. You can have an NIT year and win the national title the next year, (as we did in 2002-03). But if we lose the streak, we'll never be in this position again in our lifetime.

You know what else people called a "pipe dream?" Some skinny punk kid from Reseda, by way of New Jersey, winning the All Valley Karate Tournament!

But it happened.

LGO!

Not considered official in eyes of NCAA but is in mine and most on here I think
With you there. In fact when Mr. Excitement introduces the Orange as the sixth winningest program in NCAA history, I’m the idiot who stands and screams “Fifth!” with all five fingers extended.

Its gonna be close. I think we end up 2 games above 500
Based on how things look today I’m a bit more optimistic... you’re probably right... 2-3 games above 500.

Does anybody outside of Syracuse NY care about this streak anyway?

You know what else people called a "pipe dream?" Some skinny punk kid from Reseda, by way of New Jersey, winning the All Valley Karate Tournament!

But it happened.

LGO!

Or the movie franchise having an EPIC tv sequel made about it(and one that might have been as/more relatable to the common man as the original...something multiple generations can truly enjoy), but that happened too! (great example, by the way!) Sweep the leg, Grayson!!

For anyone not familiar of that which we speak, many folks find this to be EPIC. Much of it is available on youtube for free, and a number of the high rollers on here already go on about their youtube TV subscriptions, so I'd imagine most of them have seen these already and can attest to their greatness!

Last edited:
Time to bump this thread again. Like SWC posted, this isn't something that can easily be googled. Does JAB stay until we get to 55 straight years. I mean, if guys older than him can seriously be considered presidential candidates, what could possibly prevent him, assuming he is healthy, from continuing to coach. Strange to even think its possible.

We got it done. 50 in a row. UCLA's record is 54. Here are the longest active streaks:
50 Syracuse 1971-2020
37 Kansas 1984-2020
36 Arizona 1985-2020
30 Kentucky 1991-2020
27 Maryland 1994-2020

I'm preparing a look at the top 25 teams of the last 50 years but can't complete it until this season is over to update all of the numbers. I'll say this: we are the 6th winningest team over that time and every other member of the Top 25 has had at least two non-winning seasons in that period except UNC, which is 13-17 this year and would need a good post season run to avoid getting their second.

We got it done. 50 in a row. UCLA's record is 54. Here are the longest active streaks:
50 Syracuse 1971-2020
37 Kansas 1984-2020
36 Arizona 1985-2020
30 Kentucky 1991-2020
27 Maryland 1994-2020

I'm preparing a look at the top 25 teams of the last 50 years but can't complete it until this season is over to update all of the numbers. I'll say this: we are the 6th winningest team over that time and every other member of the Top 25 has had at least two non-winning seasons in that period except UNC, which is 13-17 this year and would need a good post season run to avoid getting their second.
5th winningest. Don’t care what the NCAA says

5th winningest. Don’t care what the NCAA says

Actually, this is the top of my Top 25 teams over the 50 years. the first number are the ranking points, (25 for 1st in the final poll, 24 for second, etc.). That's how I chose the top 25. Next to that is their won-lost record for the first 49 of the 50 years. I'll be adding in the 2019-20 season when it's over:

North Carolina 780 points 1300-388
Kentucky 676 points 1257-384
Duke 659 points 1228-401
Kansas 639 points 1152-395
UCLA 505 points 1113-416

Syracuse 434 points 1188-433
Arizona 417 points 1078-476
Louisville 415 points 1153-475
Michigan State 378 points 1022-529
Indiana 337 points 1034-519

We are the 6th best team in ranking points but the fourth best in wins over the 50 years. .

Just realized Syracuse basketball won its 2000th game last year but never really recognized it. We now stand at 2022 wins which ranks fifth all time. Of course the NCAA fails to recognize 101 of those and drops us to sixth behind Temple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom