Consistently good vs occasionally great | Syracusefan.com

Consistently good vs occasionally great

GoSU96

Living Legend
I brought this up before but ever since Shrader came back vs Wake the team has played at as consistently a high level as the best teams post Robinson.

If they can keep this up, watch out.

Record 5-2
3 home, 3 away, 1 neutral
4 P5, 2 non, 1 FCS

7 games over 403 total offense, — compares well with 11 of 13 over 418 in 2012, 10 of 13 over 416 in 2018
6 of 7 over 245 passing, — compares well 9 of 13 246 or more in 2012, 8 of 12 293 or more in 2016, 9 of 12 278 or more in 2017, 8 of ‘12 2019 249 or more
6 of 7 over 147 rushing — compares ok with going 165 or more in 9 of 12 games in 2021, 140 or more in 9 of 13 in 2018
6 of 7 over 29 pts, —- compares well with 2018, 11 of 13 30 or more
6 of 7 over 6.32 yds per play.

Defense 5 of 7 under 341 yds, — best since 6 straight under 315 in 2010
5 of 7 under 4.61 yds per play, — compares well with 10 of 13 under 4.73 in 2010
5 of 7 under 100 yds rushing allowed, — best since at least 2009
6 of 7 under 28 pts, — compares well with 10-13 in 2010, 8 of 13 under 27 in 2018, 9 of 13 28 or more in 2012
4 straight games under 20 allowed, — first time since 2001, which had 5 straight 17 or less.

The thing to note is these comparisons are to teams that many times had holes. The defensIve numbers compare with the best defensive teams since 2001, which in 2001, 2009, 2010 were defensive first teams that played very ball control/punt offense.

On offense the numbers compare well with the two best offensive teams in the last 25 years, while playing strong defense. It isn’t heavy pass, weak run like 16 and 17 or heavy run, struggle to pass in 2021.

Last edited:
UNC and FL State on the road back to back is tough. I feel like we have the tools to win either game but we need to be our best in all phases to have a shot. Looking forward to receivers running wild in both games. I feel like that’s our identity and we need to lean into it.

I brought this up before but ever since Shrader came back vs Wake the team has played at as consistently a high level as the best teams post Robinson.

If they can keep this up, watch out.

Record 5-2
3 home, 3 away, 1 neutral
4 P5, 2 non, 1 FCS

7 games over 403 total offense, — compares well with 11 of 13 over 418 in 2012, 10 of 13 over 416 in 2018
6 of 7 over 245 passing, — compares well 9 of 13 246 or more in 2012, 8 of 12 293 or more in 2016, 9 of 12 278 or more in 2017, 8 of ‘12 2019 249 or more
6 of 7 over 147 rushing — compares ok with going 165 or more in 9 of 12 games in 2021, 140 or more in 9 of 13 in 2018
6 of 7 over 29 pts, —- compares well with 2018, 11 of 13 30 or more
6 of 7 over 6.32 yds per play.

Defense 5 of 7 under 341 yds, — best since 6 straight under 315 in 2010
5 of 7 under 4.61 yds per play, — compares well with 10 of 13 under 4.73 in 2010
5 of 7 under 100 yds rushing allowed, — best since at least 2009
6 of 7 under 28 pts, — compares well with 10-13 in 2010, 8 of 13 under 27 in 2018, 9 of 13 28 or more in 2012
4 straight games under 20 allowed, — first time since 2001, which had 5 straight 17 or less.

The thing to note is these comparisons are to teams that many times had holes. The defensIve numbers compare with the best defensive teams since 2001, which in 2001, 2009, 2010 were defensive first teams that played very ball control/punt offense.

On offense the numbers compare well with the two best offensive teams in the last 25 years, while playing strong defense. It isn’t heavy pass, weak run like 16 and 17 or heavy run, struggle to pass in 2021.
Shrader is a good college qb now. He can hold on to it too long but given that his arm isn't the greatest and he's so good with his feet, I'm ok with occasional sacks where he doesn't pull the trigger because he makes a lot of plays waiting a long time

A functioning offensive line makes the offense work. I think people got down on the offensive system even though the line was bad enough to cause any system to fail

As long as you're not horrifically bad on the line, this offense will keep working for a long time with decent QB play

Shrader is a good college qb now. He can hold on to it too long but given that his arm isn't the greatest and he's so good with his feet, I'm ok with occasional sacks where he doesn't pull the trigger because he makes a lot of plays waiting a long time

A functioning offensive line makes the offense work. I think people got down on the offensive system even though the line was bad enough to cause any system to fail

As long as you're not horrifically bad on the line, this offense will keep working for a long time with decent QB play
Shrader is a marvel (better than "good") and he (and a very good defense) is the one that wins for us. Gonna miss him when he is gone. He makes the throws, keeps defenses honest with his legs, finds the endzone at a high rate when he runs. Protects the ball. Oh, did you see the fakes vs Purdue? I am surprised to see all the qualifiers and semi-criticisms ("arm isn't the greatest") -- as if we could do better?

Will this offense keep working with "decent QB play"? Maybe - but it sure helps to have Shrader who has managed to put up good numbers even with the loss of AA Gadsden and our second best receiver (Jones). The OL has been consistent, and also managed through the loss of two starters. Bradford and Petry are better than most expected. But still, the OL struggles to open running lanes.

We are just lucky to have Shrader as the leader on the field.

UNC and FL State on the road back to back is tough. I feel like we have the tools to win either game but we need to be our best in all phases to have a shot. Looking forward to receivers running wild in both games. I feel like that’s our identity and we need to lean into it.
As always we need to win on turnovers. F state and unc have holes. See if we can take advantage. 2-1 out of bad threw would be absolutely amazing. 1-2 disappointing. 3-0 would be beyond perfect and 0-3. not good

I hope they’ve been playing possum with all the deep balls. He isn’t going to have the time or windows to get away with that stuff. I liked the formational stuff like the pass to VillarI out of the bunch or the 7 yd curls in the Purdue game, guys got to squeeze it.

hope they add more play action and RPO throws like those we’ve seen to Alford. And move the pocket.

Louisville had a fake punt against BC this weekend that looked like something we might do

Shrader is a marvel (better than "good") and he (and a very good defense) is the one that wins for us. Gonna miss him when he is gone. He makes the throws, keeps defenses honest with his legs, finds the endzone at a high rate when he runs. Protects the ball. Oh, did you see the fakes vs Purdue? I am surprised to see all the qualifiers and semi-criticisms ("arm isn't the greatest") -- as if we could do better?

Will this offense keep working with "decent QB play"? Maybe - but it sure helps to have Shrader who has managed to put up good numbers even with the loss of AA Gadsden and our second best receiver (Jones). The OL has been consistent, and also managed through the loss of two starters. Bradford and Petry are better than most expected. But still, the OL struggles to open running lanes.

Couldn’t agree more. This year Shrader has solidified himself as my favorite all time SU player so far (sorry Tucker).

Let's not go crazy. Marvel. He's good.

Let's not go crazy. Marvel. He's good.
Just imagine our offense with DeVito or Carlos. Shrader is the single irreplaceable player and the MVP on this team. If that is “good” in your opinion, well we see the game differently.

Just imagine our offense with DeVito or Carlos. Shrader is the single irreplaceable player and the MVP on this team. If that is “good” in your opinion, well we see the game differently.
I always preferred shrader to devito back even before he got good

You can do a lot worse than good.

I think Carlos will be fine. I also think his appearances last year were misleading in that the quality of opponent was higher and for whatever reason, the offense became extremely constrictive.

We saw against Army how stale the offense can look when we dont allow the QB the option to run. Our o-line just isnt good enough to sustain drives without that added threat.

I don't disagree with you that a health Shrader is extremely important to the team's prospects.

100!

Thank goodness Miss St. didn't see his dual threat potential. We are quite fortunate, just as we were fortunate to have Dungey. Good grief, without these two, it's difficult to imagine what Babers' record (especially peer/ACC) here would've possibly been.

For the life of me, now that this is his 8th season at SU, I'll never understand how Babers was labeled as some type of 'offensive guru' prior to his arrival here.

That said, SU has always been its best when it has had a dual threat QB. Hopefully, once Shrader is gone, we'll have a legit replacement, prospect, etc. in order to maintain this program's most cruicial factor in hoping for any sustained success moving forward.

100!

Thank goodness Miss St. didn't see his dual threat potential. We are quite fortunate, just as we were fortunate to have Dungey. Good grief, without these two, it's difficult to imagine what Babers' record (especially peer/ACC) here would've possibly been.

For the life of me, now that this is his 8th season at SU, I'll never understand how Babers was labeled as some type of 'offensive guru' prior to his arrival here.

That said, SU has always been its best when it has had a dual threat QB. Hopefully, once Shrader is gone, we'll have a legit replacement, prospect, etc. in order to maintain this program's most cruicial factor in hoping for any sustained success moving forward.
Worked out well for everyone. Will rogers has thrown for close to 12k yards and 88 TD there

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom