Consolidation of Issues | Syracusefan.com

Consolidation of Issues

Nick44

All Conference
For the record, I do not think it’s time to pull the plug on this staff. However, here is my attempt at consolidating the issues that have been apparent since Dino arrived -

1. Refusal to change offensive approach - It takes a good coach to find the right players and put into a productive offensive system. It takes a great coach to figure out the hand he was dealt and build a system around those players to best maximize the strengths of your team while hiding your weaknesses. This is Syracuse, not Baylor circa 2005. The talent isn’t always going to be there and you need to improvise with what you have. The best Syracuse coaches did this.

2. Depth - I do think in time we will have mediocre depth for this conference and this has been talked about at nausea but I think more needs to continue to be done. Tapping into Canada was smart, same with finding guys like Robinson and Jackson, we need more of this in addition to improving recruiting.

3. Discipline - Penalties, sideline antics, guys laughing on sideline when team is down 40. It’s absurd. Zero accountability and it’s been going on since Dino arrived. At this point I don’t see this issue going away which is a shame because I think it’s the easiest one on this list to fix. Instill more leadership, hold players accountable with swift consequences. Stop rotating captains!! Vote on 2-3 in August and slap a C on those jerseys!

4. injuries - Here is my understanding on why we see so many injuries year after year after year. Depth is a major factor but the other is when you have only a few star players you are more likely to overuse and overexpose those players increasing risk of injury. Dungey was a good example. Tucker is the most recent example. With no depth behind him this offense is going to ride him into ground for last 4 games and I worry it will be to his detriment. I would also like to see a review by Wildhack in the offseason of the strength and conditioning staff. What are we doing differently than other programs and is it negatively exposing the health of these players?

5. Recruiting - The goal for this program should be a top 40 recruiting class each year. That is not unrealistic but provides you with 20-24 players of which 8-10 are high 3 stars or 4 stars. We are getting closer and we need to get there consistently before this program stabilizes and becomes consistently good.

For at least one more season we all (including myself) need to cut out the rhetoric around replacing this staff. It’s not good for this program and we should all want this staff to succeed. They are good men who I believe want this program to be successful. This isn’t a factory school but I believe it can be consistently good with the right corrections and support. Go Orange.

Overall valid points in my opinion. I get tired of the coach doublespeak at times but Dino knows what he has and I believe he is speaking candidly to his players. He needs to get leadership of the team figured out because we clearly have discipline issues. Hopefully the defense can find their Zaire Franklin. Just one silly correction in case you want to break the phrase out again, it's ad nauseam.

I agree with your points. What is concerning to me is that #3 and #5 speak, in many ways, to young people buying into the head coach and what he is selling/building. When Babers came in, I thought that would be his strength. It doesn't look that way right now unfortunately. Hopefully I'm proven wrong because I desperately want the team and babers to succeed obviously.

Last edited:
For the record, I do not think it’s time to pull the plug on this staff. However, here is my attempt at consolidating the issues that have been apparent since Dino arrived -

1. Refusal to change offensive approach - It takes a good coach to find the right players and put into a productive offensive system. It takes a great coach to figure out the hand he was dealt and build a system around those players to best maximize the strengths of your team while hiding your weaknesses. This is Syracuse, not Baylor circa 2005. The talent isn’t always going to be there and you need to improvise with what you have. The best Syracuse coaches did this.

What is our offensive approach? I knew it the first couple years. I have no idea what it is this year.

5. Recruiting - The goal for this program should be a top 40 recruiting class each year. That is not unrealistic but provides you with 20-24 players of which 8-10 are high 3 stars or 4 stars.
Since this program struggles to break the top 50, I am not sure that top 40 is realistic.

2. Depth - I do think in time we will have mediocre depth for this conference and this has been talked about at nausea but I think more needs to continue to be done. Tapping into Canada was smart, same with finding guys like Robinson and Jackson, we need more of this in addition to improving recruiting.

3. Discipline - Penalties, sideline antics, guys laughing on sideline when team is down 40. It’s absurd. Zero accountability and it’s been going on since Dino arrived. At this point I don’t see this issue going away which is a shame because I think it’s the easiest one on this list to fix. Instill more leadership, hold players accountable with swift consequences. Stop rotating captains!! Vote on 2-3 in August and slap a C on those jerseys!

4. injuries - Here is my understanding on why we see so many injuries year after year after year. Depth is a major factor but the other is when you have only a few star players you are more likely to overuse and overexpose those players increasing risk of injury. Dungey was a good example. Tucker is the most recent example. With no depth behind him this offense is going to ride him into ground for last 4 games and I worry it will be to his detriment. I would also like to see a review by Wildhack in the offseason of the strength and conditioning staff. What are we doing differently than other programs and is it negatively exposing the health of these players?

5. Recruiting - The goal for this program should be a top 40 recruiting class each year. That is not unrealistic but provides you with 20-24 players of which 8-10 are high 3 stars or 4 stars. We are getting closer and we need to get there consistently before this program stabilizes and becomes consistently good.

For at least one more season we all (including myself) need to cut out the rhetoric around replacing this staff. It’s not good for this program and we should all want this staff to succeed. They are good men who I believe want this program to be successful. This isn’t a factory school but I believe it can be consistently good with the right corrections and support. Go Orange.

Agree with much of this post, but not 1.

The offense has been changing week to week. This looks nothing like Baylor. There are a lot of examples, the most recent being how they ran with Lutz.

On the defensive side, I believe White was a very good hire. He has a good young group of LBs, playing early. Have to give him time to develop the roster and fill in with transfers.
On offense, it is all about building an effective OL and finding QBs who can play. Dino’s big mistake in 2019 and this season was placing all his chips on Devito.

What is our offensive approach? I knew it the first couple years. I have no idea what it is this year.
I agree. It’s funny, we always use to laugh at Marrone because he’d say “we’re multiple” which sounded like coach speak but I think I finally figured out why he was trying to do. Simply, his offense transformed to whatever weapons and talent we had at that specific time.

Since this program struggles to break the top 50, I am not sure that top 40 is realistic.
I actually think we are trending in right direction. Definitely still a ways to go and this season isn’t going to help but this 2021 class is best we have had in a long time. Let’s see what happens in next 1-2 years.

Agree with much of this post, but not 1.

The offense has been changing week to week. This looks nothing like Baylor. There are a lot of examples, the most recent being how they ran with Lutz.
The point wasn’t to reference Baylor. The point was that despite talent inefficiencies, he tries to run the same system while ignoring where he actually does have talent. It’s largely the same system he has run since day one. But yet we are on our 5th RB and 2-3 QB. Meanwhile, we still have 2 excellent TE’s that hardly get used. Why is this?

I agree. It’s funny, we always use to laugh at Marrone because he’d say “we’re multiple” which sounded like coach speak but I think I finally figured out why he was trying to do. Simply, his offense transformed to whatever weapons and talent we had at that specific time.
Tim Lester said the same thing and meant it. He ran the triple option with Mahoney against LSU. Very smart.

As for recruiting, Syracuse will not become a consistent winner until recruiting improves in the backyard: NY, CT, MA, NJ, and PA and MD/DC. Almost all of the Syracuse all-time greats have come from these states. Sure, you can say that football has declined in these areas, but Syracuse isn't even in the running for most of the top kids in these states. As we all know, the kids in the Northeast are usually the least developed football players and need to get bigger and stronger and don't get as many stars as kids in other states.

From 2017 to 2020, Syracuse got 4 out of the 40 top 10 kids from NY, 1 out of the 40 top 10 kids from NJ, 1 of the top 40 top 10 kids out of CT, 1 out of the top 40 top 10 kids out of PA, and 2 of the top 40 top 10 kids out of MA. So out of the top 10 kids out of NY, CT, MA, NJ, and PA from 2017 to 2020, Syracuse got 9 out of 160 top 10 kids in their backyard.

The point wasn’t to reference Baylor. The point was that despite talent inefficiencies, he tries to run the same system while ignoring where he actually does have talent. It’s largely the same system he has run since day one. But yet we are on our 5th RB and 2-3 QB. Meanwhile, we still have 2 excellent TE’s that hardly get used. Why is this?

“Using the TE’s more” is how you say that then

Tim Lester said the same thing and meant it. He ran the triple option with Mahoney against LSU. Very smart.

We lost running a system we don’t run and would have lost playing our system at the time.

We played a similar team last week running our O with a 2nd stringer and all of the other players had some success. Experience vs the best running our system is banking it for those young players on O.

We lost running a system we don’t run and would have lost playing our system at the time.

We played a similar team last week running our O with a 2nd stringer and all of the other players had some success. Experience vs the best running our system is banking it for those young players on O.
Have no idea what your last 2 paragraphs mean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom