Cool - We may see Womack at qb this weekend | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Cool - We may see Womack at qb this weekend

Really different time and circumstance. Depth gives you the luxury of red shirting a good player.
we weren't that good in 95. certainly didn't have much depth that year. mcnabb could've helped at LB

this post implies that you only redshirt guys who aren't good enough to play now. i think that is simplistic. mcnabb was better than mason in 95. i'm glad we didn't have madei playing in 98.
1995 may as well have been 200 years ago. Completely different landscape now. There are no novel concepts being floated around in this thread. *EDIT* I didn't realize this quote was from this week, doesn't change the fact that I think that the board is using whatever they can in order to shape whatever argument they want*** But, let's take quotes from an article from who knows when, apply them to this argument, and shape it the way we want to in order to fit this scenario.

1995 may as well have been 200 years ago. Completely different landscape now. There are no novel concepts being floated around in this thread. But, let's take quotes from an article from who knows when, apply them to this argument, and shape it the way we want to in order to fit this scenario.
redshirts are there for raw young guys who need to grow. if you don't redshirt womack, redshirts aren't a thing. it's just something that applies after the season to guys who didn't happen to play. no plan at all

morant would've helped in 2004

redshirts are there for raw young guys who need to grow. if you don't redshirt womack, redshirts aren't a thing. it's just something that applies after the season to guys who didn't happen to play. no plan at all
BS, red-shirts are there for more than one reason. But, you say no plan at all because you don't believe they have a plan. BS.

BS, red-shirts are there for more than one reason. But, you say no plan at all because you don't believe they have a plan. BS.
i'm just going by your post. you said you just play your best guys right now.

i'm just going by your post. you said you just play your best guys right now.
Ya, which is what you do. Even more-so at a school that's struggling. I don't divert from that.

Millhouse said:
we weren't that good in 95. certainly didn't have much depth that year. mcnabb could've helped at LB

Meh. Night and day compared to this team

Multiple ST's positions.
I haven't noticed him once.

If you're going to blow a kid's redshirt, he'd better be making an impact.

And if a kid thinks he's too good to redshirt and can't beat anyone out other than gunner on kickoffs, then tell him he doesn't have to redshirt and just don't play him.

One way to build depth is to not push raw players with potential (most of our recruits) through the program as quickly as possible.

And if a kid thinks he's too good to redshirt and can't beat anyone out other than gunner on kickoffs, then tell him he doesn't have to redshirt and just don't play him.

One way to build depth is to not push them through the program as quickly as possible.
Easy to say from a 10,000 foot view. Maybe him not being noticed by you is still better than what the alternative would be.

One way to build depth is to not push raw players with potential (most of our recruits) through the program as quickly as possible.
I've noticed him on ST coverage during every single game.

I don't like that we burned his redshirt, but he's definitely been a solid ST player this year.

sorry, i mean 1994. 95 was great.

Crazy that in 1994 as we played Miami we were 6-1 and ranked TENTH.

Like, #10 in the entire country.

Talk about a lifetime ago.

You have literally no idea. Literally none, what the reasons are.
If Womack was an exception to the rule, you'd have a point. But needlessly blowing redshirts is a common theme for this HC.

Besides, I don't give guys who choose a 50 yard FG attempt on 4th and 1 over a conversion attempt the benefit of the doubt. Sorry.

If Womack was an exception to the rule, you'd have a point. But needlessly blowing redshirts is a common theme for this HC.

Besides, I don't give guys who choose a 50 yard FG attempt on 4th and 1 over a conversion attempt the benefit of the doubt. Sorry.
Come on. Let's not pretend that this is the only coach who has ever needlessly burned redshirts. Johnnie Morant says hi.

So now we're dragging in a completely different topic to prove a point? It doesn't add to the RS debate. I can bring up a decision that worked to his favor at some point during the season and use that as supporting evidence then.

If you think that your concept is novel, and that it's never been something that factored into the coach's decision, you're delusional. It's so common-sensical that obviously it's great for message board chatter. But to think that guys who've been around the game for 30+ years would somehow be oblivious to this line of thinking is borderline insane.

I don't like that we burned his redshirt, but he's definitely been a solid ST player this year.
That's wonderful. But my guess is his special teams contributions could have have been executed by someone else on the team.

Come on. Let's not pretend that this is the only coach who has ever needlessly burned redshirts. Johnnie Morant says hi.
That's exactly why it's a pet peeve of mine.

Yeah. Btw, was he the guy that got caught in no mans land on the Pitt fake punt?

Yeah. Btw, was he the guy that got caught in no mans land on the Pitt fake punt?
Yep. That was a tough position for anyone, let alone a true freshman, to be in. It's like being caught as the one defender on a fast break. Do you stop the ball and let him drop it off for an easy layup? Or do you play the guy off the ball and try to make the guy in possession score?

True. He almost got a block on a punt on Saturday against UL...