cooney exact same player since his soph year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

cooney exact same player since his soph year

Zero improvement. Disappointing.
I said this earlier and got ripped - the least improved player in SU history especially considering playing time received. Yet the funny thing is that I continue to hear commentators (Bilas even) say that he's a great outside shooter even though the 4 year stats prove that he is terrible.

No, he was actually a better shooter for much of his soph year.

He started his sophomore year 74-171 from three (43.2% - excellent).

Since then he is 110-370 at 29.7% from three.

He is a below average shooter.

The problem is that he does not know his limitations. He is best at being a set shooter or driving. He is a detriment when shooting off a curl or when in motion. If a three point shooter consistently scores less than a point a shot he should not be shooting. We all hoped that he would become more than a set shooter but it is now time to end the experiment. No more green light.

As to defense, the Johns had 2 outside shooters and there is no excuse for not covering them. Did Hop tell our guys to make a second half adjustment; to stay in their face? Our D was pure amateur hour, Howdy Doody Time.

The problem is that he does not know his limitations. He is best at being a set shooter or driving. He is a detriment when shooting off a curl or when in motion. If a three point shooter consistently scores less than a point a shot he should not be shooting. We all hoped that he would become more than a set shooter but it is now time to end the experiment. No more green light.

As to defense, the Johns had 2 outside shooters and there is no excuse for not covering them. Did Hop tell our guys to make a second half adjustment; to stay in their face? Our D was pure amateur hour, Howdy Doody Time.
The problem is that he is not very good.

I keep posting the stats because it is totally insane that SU coaches allow it to get to this point. It's the most unwarranted chucking at a real school ever

Time to dust off the ole stats my friend

If you were to rank all D1 shooting guards by number of 3 point shots taken (ranked from least to most) and multiply that rank by the rank in shooting percentage (ranked from highest to lowest) Cooney would have the highest score (poorest score) in Div 1 for three years running, I would be willing to bet.

If I were Cooney I would look at my long-term shooting percentage and make it my number one priority to increase the percentage by taking easier shots like everyone else on the team, except MG upon occasion. Distance is not the problem. Having your feet set is the problem. When his feet are set he even has good range.

Last edited:
I'd like to know the percentage differences between when he steps into a shot vs fading off a screen.

I'm sure it's much different for most players but I imagine really noticeable for trevor.

Rautins was great off curls because he at least squared his shoulders and still shot more vertical.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom