Cooney has to step up | Syracusefan.com

Cooney has to step up

OmahaCuse

Starter
Made a nice fake and baseline jumper in first few minutes. Then very disappointing, he missed 3 wide open looks from 3. If he makes one of those, differnt game, makes two we have better than 50/50 of winning and it really changes momentum. I understand he is only in his second year and first year of actual game experience. However, benchmarking him against other Freshman around the country or even in prior years he is just not performing.
Just like golf you have guys who are good on the range.

Made a nice fake and baseline jumper in first few minutes. Then very disappointing, he missed 3 wide open looks from 3. If he makes one of those, differnt game, makes two we have better than 50/50 of winning and it really changes momentum. I understand he is only in his second year and first year of actual game experience. However, benchmarking him against other Freshman around the country or even in prior years he is just not performing.

People have short memories. Andy Rautins his freshman year was not a great shooter. He was 32% for his first year. He wasnt a great defender and was often overwhelmed in games. I remember my father constantly complaining and asking why we even offered this kid a scholarship. By the time he was a senior, the kid was one of the best shooters in the country and was a pretty damn good defender.

Well Trevor in his first year playing is shooting...you guessed it...32% from behind the arc (23-81). He is a much better defender than Andy was his freshman year.

Lets not bury this kid yet. From what I have seen is he works his arse off in the gym. I have no doubts whatsoever that 3 years from now we all will be looking back and saying wow when we see how this kid has improved.

Cooney is not ready for primetime, its as simple as that. If there was any other guard available he wouldnt be seeing the light of day from the bench. He may end up being a heck of a player for us but right now hes absolutely lost out there and his shooting its horrific. Don't expect much the rest of the season.

he has 1 year to get his fecal matter together. next year's backcourt is in dire straits otherwise.

People have short memories. Andy Rautins his freshman year was not a great shooter. He was 32% for his first year. He wasnt a great defender and was often overwhelmed in games. I remember my father constantly complaining and asking why we even offered this kid a scholarship. By the time he was a senior, the kid was one of the best shooters in the country and was a pretty damn good defender.

Well Trevor in his first year playing is shooting...you guessed it...32% from behind the arc (23-81). He is a much better defender than Andy was his freshman year.

Lets not bury this kid yet. From what I have seen is he works his arse off in the gym. I have no doubts whatsoever that 3 years from now we all will be looking back and saying wow when we see how this kid has improved.

I dont disagree that Cooney could eventually improve the way Rautins did put your comparing apples to watermelons here. Rautins was simply missing shots but they were hitting the rim and looked like good shots, Cooney barely drew iron on several shots last night and has more airballs this year then Rautins did in his whole career. Rautins was also a tall lanky guard, Cooney is more stout and compact and hasnt exactly shown the speed or quickness you need in a guard.

this is all very true - however, as far as this year's team goes, it would've been huge if his first year were more GMac and less Rautins :confused:

fair or not fair - that's what I was hoping for

yeah - we've seen enough to see that he was overhyped and needs significant work on his game to be competitive...

It's also a real possibility that he may never be able to play at the level we need him too. Jury still out on that of course... but I agree, not liking where he is at on the development bell curve at this point...

suppose he gets 4 trey looks a game the next 7 games.he'd still have to shoot over 50% just to break 34% season.

Cooney's position defense has been good, but he's been playing too much of a 'textbook game'; i.e. he is way too conservative and predictable. Lacks defensive (and offensive) savvy. He needs to play more off instinct than discipline, take risks, change paces, be unpredictable. Right now you know almost exactly what he is going to do on offense, and know that while he will be busting his ass to stay on you on defense... he will never risk his position to steal the ball from you. Offensive players love predictable, conservative defenders because they never cause you to lose focus or confidence. They are just there, in your way.

If you arent a significantly gifted athlete or talent - someone who can do something most can't and thus are inherently unpredictable - you have to make up for it by intentionally playing unpredictable. It was something Rautins mastered by his senior year and how he got so many steals. Rautins never developed that mentality on offense, but only because he became such a good shooter he didn't have to.

Right now Cooney seems to be playing like a walking textbook in a perpetual slump.

Rautins wasn't a top-60 guard with a red-shirt freshmen year under his belt.

He was a what, 2-star?, that people complained Boeheim gave a scholarship to only because he was Leo's son.

Perhaps in general yes. Agree.

But last night, our starting Gs had to step up. And didn't.

Cooney is last on my list of who needs to step up Fair and Grant are exempt.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

One thing I've noticed with Trevor is his lateral movement on defense is not nimble. He tries to move quickly from side to side but his legs don't respond. It's like he's playing with 10 lb weights on his ankles.

active.hustling.wild.flailing.scrambling. please do not confuse these adjectives with the noun for good defense.

I'd prefer to have Brandon Triche and MCW step up before I start worrying about Trevor.
Pretty much. Then Christmas as well. For a guy with the athleticism that he has, he looks absolutely lost out there sometimes.

I think there is a difference between writing Cooney off for his career and pointing out that he's been pretty bad this year.

I'm not saying I expected the guy to be a stud this year, but for a pretty highly rated recruit who had a year to work on his game, I am pretty underwhelmed so far. I think that is a fair statement.

Triche is 33-114 or 28.9%
Lottery Pick is 26-90 or 28.9%
Cooney is 23-81 or 28.4%

Triche and Lottery Pick must just miss better.

I'd take Cooney's hustle and defensive intensity every day of the week over MCW throwing his hands up in disgust because he threw a craptacular a pass on a 4 on 2 break and then doesn't bother to even turn around and run back on D.

I think there is a difference between writing Cooney off for his career and pointing out that he's been pretty bad this year.

I'm not saying I expected the guy to be a stud this year, but for a pretty highly rated recruit who had a year to work on his game, I am pretty underwhelmed so far. I think that is a fair statement.

Good point. It's ok to have an opinion about TC (or others) without making it personal. I think TC is a net-negative as of today. Two years from now, I wouldn't be surprised to see him routinely score 15 and have a few 25 point games.

Watch the SJU game in the 2nd half. We had great momentum and TC came down with about 25 on the shot clock and took a terrible, off-balanced three, drifting to the side. SJ got it and easily had a transition bucket. JB was none too happy. It's not just missing shots, it's a few things that makes him not ready. However, he's in a difficult place of being forced fed time. Hopefully it makes him stronger down the road.

Last night, I thought he had way too many plays that led to transition buckets for UCONN, or he was out of place, etc.

Cooney's position defense has been good, but he's been playing too much of a 'textbook game'; i.e. he is way too conservative and predictable. Lacks defensive (and offensive) savvy. He needs to play more off instinct than discipline, take risks, change paces, be unpredictable. Right now you know almost exactly what he is going to do on offense, and know that while he will be busting his ass to stay on you on defense... he will never risk his position to steal the ball from you. Offensive players love predictable, conservative defenders because they never cause you to lose focus or confidence. They are just there, in your way.

If you arent a significantly gifted athlete or talent - someone who can do something most can't and thus are inherently unpredictable - you have to make up for it by intentionally playing unpredictable. It was something Rautins mastered by his senior year and how he got so many steals. Rautins never developed that mentality on offense, but only because he became such a good shooter he didn't have to.

Right now Cooney seems to be playing like a walking textbook in a perpetual slump.

Great post. Lacks savvy and play off instinct is a good way to describe it.

Yeah, Cooney moves like a robot on defense. He moves back and forth like a windshield wiper. I think part of that stiffness could very well be nerves. He had a couple nice dunks earlier in the year but I've only seen tiny glimpses of his alleged athleticism. Some hyperbolic posters were comparing his leaping ability to Rex friggin' Chapman in the pre-season!

hey i grew up watching knick guard walt frazier. dude would lull you to sleep and then rob you blind.
it ain't all about crazy waive yer hand banshee defense. clyde layed back and played it cool and smooth.

Cooney is 23-81 or 28.4%

I'd take Cooney's hustle and defensive intensity every day of the week over MCW throwing his hands up in disgust because he threw a craptacular a pass on a 4 on 2 break and then doesn't bother to even turn around and run back on D.

But they aren't the board whipping boy....I agree with what you posted. Maybe we should be looking at the starting guards that need to step up. Maybe our lottery player needs to pull his head out of his *** and play better. Taking crappy shots, making terrible passes and playing no-effort on defense if that makes you a lottery pick then MCW as it on lock down. Or how about our senior leader. He looked terrific out there last night. He shot was falling and he was knocking everything down. OH Wait he came up small on the road. But hey lets blame the 3rd guard that plays limited minutes..

Cooney is 23-81 or 28.4%

I'd love to see the minutes after those numbers. Does Cooney really have that many attempts? Is that for the season overall or just BE?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom