Cooney is Mookie | Syracusefan.com

Cooney is Mookie

Cuseology

Walk On
Before I get jumped on, I am only saying this from the perspective of fan reaction when he touches the ball, and especially when he shoots. The comparison ends there.

Have to agree, when he gets an open look, there is a lot of anticipation and hope that he doesn't pass it up. Mookie was more of a pure chucker though. His attitude was not unlike the walk-ons.

cooney is certainly scrambling around out there on D as many have noted. mookie jones not so much. but let's be realistic for a moment. cooney was not recruited as a defensive badger. he was brought here to be a legit outside threat. and as of right now mookie wins hands down on accuracy. cooney seems to be slowly shaking off his funk.the last 3 games he's climbed from 17% to 18% to 23% season avg. but still a long way to go. theodore "mookie" jones for all his faults stroked it about 40%.

CUSEOLOGY IS BUD PULIQUIN!

Before I get jumped on, I am only saying this from the perspective of irrelevant verbiage. The comparison ends there.:)

In all seriousness , I liked Mookie, but Mookie and Cooney are not even comparable. Cooney has a strong flloor game. He will play even if the 3 is not going down.

Before I get jumped on, I am only saying this from the perspective of fan reaction when he touches the ball, and especially when he shoots. The comparison ends there.
i came ready to blow you up, but you go and say something like that... and totally redeem yourself

cooney is certainly scrambling around out there on D as many have noted. mookie jones not so much. but let's be realistic for a moment. cooney was not recruited as a defensive badger. he was brought here to be a legit outside threat. and as of right now mookie wins hands down on accuracy. cooney seems to be slowly shaking off his funk.the last 3 games he's climbed from 17% to 18% to 23% season avg. but still a long way to go. theodore "mookie" jones for all his faults stroked it about 40%.

Have to disagree. Cooney was not one-dimensional in high school, nor is he now. In addition to having a great stroke, he's very athletic, puts the ball on the floor, and has been tenacious on D.

Mookie put up a lot of shots during garbage time when the nearest defender was 8 feet away.

Mookie got Boeheimed.

I'm just practicing this... 'We use hackneyed expressions to suggest certainty where there is none. We fall back on lazy expressions that supposedly connote wisdom.' Got that from a Post Standard article.

Can't disagree with anything you said, especially "the comparison ends there" part.

I am Michael Jordan... but only in that I've played basketball on a hardwood floor. The comparison ends there.

He's probably being told to shoot through his slump to get his confidence up.

I am Michael Jordan... but only in that I've played basketball on a hardwood floor. The comparison ends there.
I'm like Lebron James, except he's lost two more NBA finals than I have. Comparison ends there though.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

What.

Mookie didn't scramble around on D? Cooney had 6 steals in one game the other day. That's probably more than Mookie ever got in his career. Mookie wins hands down on accuracy? Let's talk at the end of the season, not after 7 games. That's ridiculous. I seriously hope you weren't serious.

And I was a Mook supporter...

What.

Mookie didn't scramble around on D? Cooney had 6 steals in one game the other day. That's probably more than Mookie ever got in his career. Mookie wins hands down on accuracy? Let's talk at the end of the season, not after 7 games. That's ridiculous. I seriously hope you weren't serious.

And I was a Mook supporter...
And Cooney has already played more meaningful minutes than Mookie played in his whole time here.

Another big difference? Cooney will be relevant to this team, both this year and in coming years.

if Triche keeps shooting a horrific 27% from the 3 pter then Cooney is going to be very relevant.

well yes i did call trevor a "scrambler" and a "badger" and you call him "tenacious" on D.
yet do i think he 's a great defender? NO WAY! just based soley from what i've seen.(and screw what he did in high school he's a redshirt frosh with a years worth of access to our coaches,practices and excellent facilities).
to my eyes he's still appears to be a bit slow afoot at this level.
secondly if you honestly believe he wasn't brought in primarily as an "elite" outside threat then i'm afraid we just have to agree to disagree. i didn't read one single scouting report during his entire recruitment that didn't lead with "shooter" or something to that effect. we are seriously guard shy this year and he's gonna have to log some major for us. i do truly hope he blossoms into an all league guard. but RIGHT NOW i'm still waiting to see that star on the court. (ps mookie jones #6 on SU alltime 3pt% 39.6)

but let's be realistic for a moment. cooney was not recruited as a defensive badger. he was brought here to be a legit outside threat. and as of right now mookie wins hands down on accuracy. cooney seems to be slowly shaking off his funk.the last 3 games he's climbed from 17% to 18% to 23% season avg. but still a long way to go. theodore "mookie" jones for all his faults stroked it about 40%.
Actually you and I don't know every reason why Cooney was recruited. Yes he has been hyped as a deadeye three point shooter, but that doesn't mean JB didn't notice his defense too. If it wasn't for his D he'd only be sharing the court with walkons up until now. The vast majority of Mookie's 3's came in garbage time with no pressure. Cooney has been shooting 3's before the game was decided. He started off horribly, but now that he's broken the ice he'll be fine.

well yes i did call trevor a "scrambler" and a "badger" and you call him "tenacious" on D.
yet do i think he 's a great defender? NO WAY! just based soley from what i've seen.(and screw what he did in high school he's a redshirt frosh with a years worth of access to our coaches,practices and excellent facilities).
to my eyes he's still appears to be a bit slow afoot at this level.
secondly if you honestly believe he wasn't brought in primarily as an "elite" outside threat then i'm afraid we just have to agree to disagree. i didn't read one single scouting report during his entire recruitment that didn't lead with "shooter" or something to that effect. we are seriously guard shy this year and he's gonna have to log some major for us. i do truly hope he blossoms into an all league guard. but RIGHT NOW i'm still waiting to see that star on the court. (ps mookie jones #6 on SU alltime 3pt% 39.6)
Mookie #6 on SU alltime % is hilarious considering at least half of those came in the last 5 mins of the game in walkon time. His shooting will get better. He had a few bad nights that skew his percentage downwards. It's been 7 GAMES.

i think if you would reread my original post you might realise that i fully concede that the mookster was horrible on D.
but to pursue the point cooney ain't faced elite talent either.in fact less than mookie. as a soph (cooneys class) mook had 9 steals in 105 minutes/14 bds and 2 blks) cooney's played 104 minutes against cupcakes and has 11 steals 4 bds a nd 2 blks. and as i said. mookie was awful on D.

if Triche keeps shooting a horrific 27% from the 3 pter then Cooney is going to be very relevant.
Because that's all Triche does for this team, right?

Anyway, what's happened to you, Tristy? I suppose you're on a short leash, but you seem to have been neutered. Your posts are very disappointing these days, and not nearly as aggravating.

Because that's all Triche does for this team, right?

Anyway, what's happened to you, Tristy? I suppose you're on a short leash, but you seem to have been neutered. Your posts are very disappointing these days, and not nearly as aggravating.
Are you bt's dad? Never seen anyone defend him so much when most people are just critiqueing his game. Long live the br801 bt fan club. You are at my level with dion.