Cooney needs some love | Syracusefan.com

Cooney needs some love

People love pouncing on the kid but he gives 100% effort and just isnt quite there yet offensively. I fully believe he will be very good player for us in due time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While I agree, I think he could better use some Love Hewitt
just my opinion

Better game for sure, hitting that second 3 was pretty big. Still wish he woudl take a few shots from inside the 3 point line, Rautins was the same way his first two years.

agree. I thought Cooney played great defense (maybe got caught once) and looked much more poised with his shot. Even his misses showed good touch and CJ jammed the rebound in on one. Jimmy has been giving hima lot of minutes these last two games and he looked much better tonight.

Go Cuse!

that is exactly what we need from Trevor. Nothing spectacular just knock down a couple 3's and stretch the defense.

People love pouncing on the kid but he gives 100% effort and just isnt quite there yet offensively. I fully believe he will be very good player for us in due time.

Nobody has an agenda against Trevor - I think the collective criticism of him so far this season by this board has been very reasonable. He seems like a great kid who we all want to succeed - and he played very well tonight.

Nobody has an agenda against Trevor - I think the collective criticism of him so far this season by this board has been very reasonable. He seems like a great kid who we all want to succeed - and he played very well tonight.
I disagree a lot of posters have written him off, theres been talk about how he should transfer already and other ignorant comments.

He needs to stop being so focused on three pointers. Nothing wrong with a 15 footer.

He also need sot stop posing with his arm in the air after shots. So does Southerland if he comes back. Either get into position for along rebound or get back to play defense.

Don't worry, I'm sure he's getting plenty of love tonight.

I have a feeling the comparison to Andy (in terms of floor game and progression) might be a good one by the time Trevor leaves. He already does some fundamental things effectively, but they are often overshadowed by his misses. Over time, I expect the misses to decrease. As Ali said, he just has to keep working and good things will happen.

He needs to stop being so focused on three pointers. Nothing wrong with a 15 footer.

He also need sot stop posing with his arm in the air after shots. So does Southerland if he comes back. Either get into position for along rebound or get back to play defense.
Baby steps. Tonight was a step in the right direction.

I tend to agree with you on this. Unfortunately, Trevor is not the only player in college basketball that needs to learn this.

I feel like Trevor would be much better served, as others have said, starting out shooting a shorter jumper and working his way out. It's awfully tough, no matter how good a shooter you are, to come off the bench cold and start launching 22 footers. There's a reason when you go to shoot hoops you work your way from the inside out to get loosened up.

I feel like someone needs to tell Trevor to just breathe and touch the ball a few times before shooting. He loves to launch that first touch

I feel like someone needs to tell Trevor to just breathe and touch the ball a few times before shooting. He loves to launch that first touch
I feel like someone needs to tell him to stop trying to jump four feet in the air on every jumper, too. Just relax and shoot without thinking about your mechanics or how high you're getting on your release point.

He sure does, get settled in then fire away.

Gmac had a great interview for the pregame show where he said he worked with Trevor on moving without the ball and to get in better position for shots . He was on him for only having 1 attempt in 29 minutes. He specifically called for him to roll behind mcw and triche when they drive instead of staying covered in the corner . I watched him tonight and he was much more active on offense . I believe he did exactly what Gerry said on a couple of occasions to get shots off. Gerry also said he had a great day at practice yesterday . So combine that with tonight and maybe he has some confidence coming back.

These next 4 games could be big for Cooney to gain some confidence down the stretch.

am I the only one that thinks his defense is sub par? Yea he tries his ass off but once he gets going one way, it takes him a half hr to recover and get back to the other side

Cooney played his best game yesterday and i actually saw some signs of him becoming a contributor down the road. I felt that his foot work and spacing on O was much better, he moved better without the ball, and he seemed to feel the most comfortable i have seen him all year. Cooney is never going to be a star for us but he can up being a solid roll player. The kid needs time and he simply needs game experiance. I would like to see the SC coaches work on getting him quicker with less emphasis on getting him stronger. Something tells me that his shooting is off because he has put to much time in on getting bigger and stronger. Shooters are touchy creatures and my bet is during his RS year was a weight room freak which in many cases if not handled well can really F with your shot

Here is some luv...

My game watching crew has now nicknamed Trevor:

"Snappy Griller".

...as in "Snappy Griller drains a trey!!!"

Someone needs to carry the moniker now that Hoffman's has changed the official name of their white dinks from snappy griller to coney (blasphemy!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom