Cooney | Syracusefan.com

Cooney

Oakland

2022 Iggy Winner: ACC Record
I am now on the serious doubt bandwagon. He had 2-3 good games and it looked like he had turned the corner as most of us expected. But that wide open airball today was a large blinking red flag. One of the best 3 pt shooters should not be doing that. I estimate that he has now airballed more wide open 3 pt attempts in 10 OOC games than GMac did in a 4 yr career. Therefore, I have resigned myself to the opinion that he is simply not a good college shooter. Very disappointing. Hopefully, he changes my opinion.

While acknowledging that he still has time to develop, whatever some see in the practices definitely is not translating to the court so far. This usually involves confidence. And sometimes people just never gain the confidence they need to succeed.

Hope he gains his soon.

Cheers,
Neil

his shot just doesn't look like it ever has a chance. way too much going on, and to throw up numerous air balls on wide open looks in 40 attempts is troubling. He just isn't ready, and if something were to ever happen to MCW, or Triche the season is over.

his shot just doesn't look like it ever has a chance. way too much going on, and to throw up numerous air balls on wide open looks in 40 attempts is troubling. He just isn't ready, and if something were to ever happen to MCW, or Triche the season is over.
If he put up 17 like MCW did today, he would have made more than 3 of them.

He needs to play and play alot in a few easy games. The kid has talent but he is shot. Playing him 2-6 minutes at a stretch will not do it. He needs to play a ton and he might be ok.

The shot is bad but he is doing a lot of other things very well. One hot streak will change a lot of minds.

Before jumping on the Cooney is horrible bandwagon don't forget the story of Demetrius Nichols. Wasn't that long ago folks. He went through something very similar. Great practice shooter, great form, but it took time to translate on the court. Hopefully with time and experience his confidence will grow and he will become a terrific shooter. I saw him play in high school more than 30 times and Trevor can shoot it. Just give him some time. WAY too early to write him off, although I do fear this year might be a bit of a struggle. Hopefully Hop and Gmac are in his ear pumping him with confidence similar to the way Hop did with DNic. I still very much believe he is going to have a great career and be remembered as one of the great shooters to come through Syracuse.

His drive to the basket was McNamara-esque. That it didn't go in proves the kid can't catch a break right now.

Before jumping on the Cooney is horrible bandwagon don't forget the story of Demetrius Nichols. Wasn't that long ago folks. He went through something very similar. Great practice shooter, great form, but it took time to translate on the court. Hopefully with time and experience his confidence will grow and he will become a terrific shooter. I saw him play in high school more than 30 times and Trevor can shoot it. Just give him some time. WAY too early to write him off, although I do fear this year might be a bit of a struggle. Hopefully Hop and Gmac are in his ear pumping him with confidence similar to the way Hop did with DNic. I still very much believe he is going to have a great career and be remembered as one of the great shooters to come through Syracuse.

Good reference. Or more recently, Southerland.

Excellent comparison. Was thinking the same thing.

You are the 'glass is half full' guy. I hope you are right. Unfortunately, DNic is a good, and thus, bad comparison. Like Cooney, DNic arrived at SU with the rep as a very good outside shooter. Unfortunately, it took 4 years for that to come true. If Cooney follows DNic's career it will be disappointing, because one good year out of 4 is not good. Ominously, unlike Cooney, DNic almost always hit the rim on his misses.

You are the 'glass is half full' guy. I hope you are right. Unfortunately, DNic is a good, and thus, bad comparison. Like Cooney, DNic arrived at SU with the rep as a very good outside shooter. Unfortunately, it took 4 years for that to come true. If Cooney follows DNic's career it will be disappointing, because one good year out of 4 is not good. Ominously, unlike Cooney, DNic almost always hit the rim on his misses.
Cooney is tighter than scrooge at bonus time. He is a good shooter he is simply playing scared. The best thing for him is to simply play and play as much as possible. Nothing that he can do in practice is going to change anything. The only way he will gain confidence is to do well in games. I truly hope that JB plays him a ton as i believe that getting solid production out of him is going to be key in March

Cooney is playing very good on defensive, however right now, his offense is struggling. The biggest issue when he is on the court is his inability to dribble. When he is on the court we only have one true ball-handler and that hurts the offense. When MCW and Triche are playing together either one can take it to the rim or make a move to get someone into position. Cooney is not trusted to do that right now. When he is out there, he generally only provides spacing. Spacing is good when your hitting shots, but right now he isn't hitting his shots so defenders can play off of him.

Like Albany said, it's all a mental (confidence) thing right now with TC.
And don't forget that he does a great job at the top of the zone.

Cooney just isn't a very good college player at this point. He's pretty much one-dimensional on the offensive end, and if his confidence isn't there, he's basically useless. It's hard to keep a guy on the court for too long that can't really do anything else and isn't hitting his shots. He'll improve and be a much better player by the time he's a junior...

He needs to play and play alot in a few easy games. The kid has talent but he is shot. Playing him 2-6 minutes at a stretch will not do it. He needs to play a ton and he might be ok.

laugh out loud... everyone would be michael jordan if given the opportunity.

He will, eventually, be very valuable. It's just a matter of how long it's gonna take. Hoping it comes around this year, not next.

Yeah. It ain't going to be this year. He just won't get minutes when we play good teams.

Boeheim always cuts down the rotation.

I am now on the serious doubt bandwagon. He had 2-3 good games and it looked like he had turned the corner as most of us expected. But that wide open airball today was a large blinking red flag. One of the best 3 pt shooters should not be doing that. I estimate that he has now airballed more wide open 3 pt attempts in 10 OOC games than GMac did in a 4 yr career. Therefore, I have resigned myself to the opinion that he is simply not a good college shooter. Very disappointing. Hopefully, he changes my opinion.

10 games into his freshman year -- sounds fair. :bang:

He's tight. You could see how he steered that shot from the corner.
When he stops thinking about it, they'll drop.

His playing time this year is more about learning the 2-3 then scoring. With a team full of scorers I think JB wants him to focus on defense seeing that next year, if MCW leaves, he will be the most experienced guard we have. As others have said when he stops thinking about it, the shots will fall.

He's tight. You could see how he steered that shot from the corner.
When he stops thinking about it, they'll drop.
Agree. And Temple's defense made everyone look tight.

Cooney has been a disappointment. Not sure you can say anything else at this point. He is here to knock down shots and be a third guard option. If Triche or MCW miss time I would literally be afraid of Cooney starting in the backcourt at this point. That wide open airball three yesterday was hard to swallow. He has the "deer in the headlights" look on offense.

I think one of the hardest things to do is be a guy who comes in for a few minutes a game and is asked to make shots. It is not easy to sit for 15 to 20 minutes real time then play for 30 secs. Try it some day, warm up then sit for a few minutes then take one shot. I was asked to do this as a sophomore in high school, it was one of the most difficult things in any sport, I feel Cooneys pain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom