Cooney | Syracusefan.com

Cooney

jdubs30

Living Legend
Anyone notice after he hit that three he pointed to his head as he was running back down the court? I think he knows he's capable and his struggles are just in his head.

Keep shootin young fella, we need ya.

Anyone notice after he hit that three he pointed to his head as he was running back down the court? I think he knows he's capable and his struggles are just in his head.

Keep shootin young fella, we need ya.
I have a feeling he is going to be my favorite on this team.

Its this new thing players are doing, rasheed wallace and melo do it after every three...pretty strange

Its this new thing players are doing, rasheed wallace and melo do it after every three...pretty strange
Oh really? My bad then. I had never noticed it before I assumed it something Cooney just did.

Did you notice the threes he hit were not the ones where he was wide open, they were him running behind a screen with a pretty damn quick release. Much more difficult shot.

Kid is going to be good as soon as he trims his shot selection. Pretty decent off he bounce if you don't pay attention to him as we'll.

when he is square to the basket and goes straight up, he's money. He just has a tendency to rush his shot and drift, which kills him. He has the right coaches in place to iron out those kinks and be a deadeye shooter by the end of the year, in my opinion.

Did you notice the threes he hit were not the ones where he was wide open, they were him running behind a screen with a pretty damn quick release. Much more difficult shot.
I think he hits better when shooting off the run than when posted up outside the line.

It is nothing new it dates back 20 years. Rasheed is the first guy to bring it back (he is old 38) but it is "3 to the head" you tap your head 3 times with 3 fingers and say "take that, take that, take that". I'm not sure if Cooney said the words but that is the origins of it. It made be laugh when he did it. It's not very PC but I like it. Shooters consider themselves sharp shooters or snipers on the court.

It was good to see.
That's a weapon that's been missing from our arsenal.

when he is square to the basket and goes straight up, he's money. He just has a tendency to rush his shot and drift, which kills him. He has the right coaches in place to iron out those kinks and be a deadeye shooter by the end of the year, in my opinion.

Exactly what I've been saying about Triche all four years. Still has that tendency to drift in his shot as well.

It's hard not to like Trevor. As he becomes more comfortable with the college game he will become increasingly valuable to the team. The kid oozes desire and hustle. His trying so hard perhaps has worked against him to some extent in that he's put a lot of pressure on himself. He's a great program player and as he settles in I think more of his shots will fall. I also think he has the potential to be a leader in the future.

sorry, but i don't think this kid can play a lick. it's a tell when JB barely plays him in these non-conf games when he is the only other guard, and he needs some serious development. not to mention there is a HUGE difference between rs fr, and true fr. everyone is waiting for his shot to start to drop, but i have a feeling we are going to be saying the same thing in 4 years. mcw was touted as an elite shooter coming out of hs too, and that is arguably the weakest part of his game. yes cooney hustles, but he needs to do something. below avg defender, poor ball hander, above avg athlete, who can't knock down shots. i just don't see him helping at all throughout his career. i hope i'm wrong though

sorry, but i don't think this kid can play a lick. it's a tell when JB barely plays him in these non-conf games when he is the only other guard, and he needs some serious development. not to mention there is a HUGE difference between rs fr, and true fr. everyone is waiting for his shot to start to drop, but i have a feeling we are going to be saying the same thing in 4 years. mcw was touted as an elite shooter coming out of hs too, and that is arguably the weakest part of his game. yes cooney hustles, but he needs to do something. below avg defender, poor ball hander, above avg athlete, who can't knock down shots. i just don't see him helping at all throughout his career. i hope i'm wrong though
No offense but you are way off on this one.

i hope i'm wrong, but what have to seen that can possibly make you think so? if he isn't knocking down shots he does absolutely nothing for you. his shot doesn't even look like it has a chance. there is way too much going on in his mechanics to be a high % 3 point shooter, which is what he needs to be to produce at this level.

I think I'll repost this piece of crap in 5 weeks. What a gem. LOL.

I think I'll repost this piece of crap in 5 weeks. What a gem. LOL.

i'm still waiting for my thread i created saying the same thing after the 3rd game to get re-posted. it should have been about now...i guess i can wait another 5 weeks though.

i'm still waiting for my thread i created saying the same thing after the 3rd game to get re-posted. it should have been about now...i guess i can wait another 5 weeks though.
Guess I missed that piece of crap then. Cooney brings more to the game then just shooting. He's better than he was after the 3rd game skippy. He's improving and I'll remind you in 5 weeks either way. I'll man up and eat crow if I'm wrong. Will you? lol.

You're watching a different player. Cooney has been playing just under 20 minutes a game (Detroit, Alcorn State), 19 today. His defense at the top of the key is very good. His hands are quick and he forces a lot of mistakes (that Triche and MCW cash in on) with his quickness. His footwork is amazing and he fights through screens as good as any of our guards. He was the only sign of life on the floor during the Alcorn State game. He rushes his shots and could make better decisions on when and how to shoot (off balance), but his release is classic and he has been hitting threes over the past six games. He is being compared unfavorably with some major talent (MCW and Triche), but he is developing very nicely. And he obviously wants it--his intensity generally stirs things up. I look forward to his stints when Triche and MCW need a blow or to get some perspective from the bench. Cooney's game will continue to improve as he gathers experience. We need his minutes. He won't get as many minutes as the competition stiffens. But he will contribute, not only holding his own, but by providing a spark.

No offense but you are way off on this one.

I agree with Anomander in some regards as to where Cooney is right now.....not good. But I'm not as bearish on his future.

People want him to excel so badly that they work really hard to find good things in his game, but so far there hasn't been a lot. He hustles, great...everyone on the court should hustle. He has to be able to hit shots with a greater efficiency. His shooting percentages to this point are down right terrible .338 and .296 and he is shooting a high volume of shots for the percentage he is hitting. Here are everyone's shots attempted per 40 minutes.

Dirty 15.4
Cooney 14.8
Triche 14.7
CJ 13.2
DCII 13.0
MCW 12.6
Rak 10.4
Grant 10.1
Keita 7.5

I agree with Anomander in some regards as to where Cooney is right now.....not good. But I'm not as bearish on his future.

People want him to excel so badly that they work really hard to find good things in his game, but so far there hasn't been a lot. He hustles, great...everyone on the court should hustle. He has to be able to hit shots with a greater efficiency. His shooting percentages to this point are down right terrible .338 and .296 and he is shooting a high volume of shots for the number of minutes he has played. Here are everyone's shots attempted per 40 minutes.

Dirty 15.4
Cooney 14.8
Triche 14.7
CJ 13.2
DCII 13.0
MCW 12.6
Rak 10.4
Grant 10.1
Keita 7.5
The kid had sugery and he's pretty much playing catch up. He is going to be a good one.

You're watching a different player. Cooney has been playing just under 20 minutes a game (Detroit, Alcorn State), 19 today. His defense at the top of the key is very good. His hands are quick and he forces a lot of mistakes (that Triche and MCW cash in on) with his quickness. His footwork is amazing and he fights through screens as good as any of our guards. He was the only sign of life on the floor during the Alcorn State game. He rushes his shots and could make better decisions on when and how to shoot (off balance), but his release is classic and he has been hitting threes over the past six games. He is being compared unfavorably with some major talent (MCW and Triche), but he is developing very nicely. And he obviously wants it--his intensity generally stirs things up. I look forward to his stints when Triche and MCW need a blow or to get some perspective from the bench. Cooney's game will continue to improve as he gathers experience. We need his minutes. He won't get as many minutes as the competition stiffens. But he will contribute, not only holding his own, but by providing a spark.

you have to be kidding. JB has no faith in him, and he shouldn't. you won't be looking forward to much come BE, cause JB will ride MCW/Triche 35m+ if he can

sounds like the crap people said about rautins his freshman year. waste of a scholarship!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Your hope has come to fruition.