Cooney's Defense At End | Syracusefan.com

Cooney's Defense At End

Cuse Action

2nd String
of regulation was dreadful. He follows their guy into the lane, and the ball comes out to the shooter who hits a game tying trey from where Cooney should have been. Exact same thing he did against Nova at the end of that game. Then tonight he gives the ball up to Patterson, who misses both foul shots. Not trying to nitpick. Cooney played a great game, and we obviously lose without his contributions, but at the end of close games, you have to play smart. BTW, Roberson was an unsung hero tonight.

of regulation was dreadful. He follows their guy into the lane, and the ball comes out to the shooter who hits a game tying trey from where Cooney should have been. Exact same thing he did against Nova at the end of that game. Then tonight he gives the ball up to Patterson, who misses both foul shots. Not trying to nitpick. Cooney played a great game, and we obviously lose without his contributions, but at the end of close games, you have to play smart. BTW, Roberson was an unsung hero tonight.
the bastard. Let's run him out of town. Where is tbcuse?

He needed to get rid of the ball... he wanted it right back. And Patterson just wasn't quick enough. Kind of Cooneys fault, but also kind of just the circumstance.

He needed to get rid of the ball... he wanted it right back. And Patterson just wasn't quick enough. Kind of Cooneys fault, but also kind of just the circumstance.
exactly

I don't like that he left the shooter, but I'll give him a pass on giving the ball to Patterson. A) Patterson should have given it back to Cooney much sooner and Cooney expected him to do so. B) I'm not convinced Patterson was actually fouled prior to passing back to Cooney.

I don't like that he left the shooter, but I'll give him a pass on giving the ball to Patterson. A) Patterson should have given it back to Cooney much sooner and Cooney expected him to do so. B) I'm not convinced Patterson was actually fouled prior to passing back to Cooney.
After the Nova game, I would have thought that he wouldn't make that mistake again.

Cuse Action said:

Since he has now followed that guy twice and not gotten chewed out, I'm not sure he isn't suppose to. Don't know that for sure but just saying.

As to giving the ball to Patterson, that happened literally 5 feet in front of me. If he doesn't give it to Patterson, it looked like he would have been trapped on the sideline by 2 guys. He had no where else to go. He tried to hand it off real quick and get it right back. Wake kid was smart to quickly foul Patterson immediately. Sometimes the other team makes a good play.

Last edited:

Its not cooneys fault the two guard on his team, a blue blood college basketball program can't hit a ft

Since he has now followed that guy twice and not gotten chewed out, I'm not sure he isn't suppose to. Don't know that for sure but just saying.

As to giving the ball to Patterson, that happened literally 5 feet in front of me. If he doesn't give it to Patterson, it looked like he would have been trapped in the sideline by 2 guys. He had no where else to go. He tried to hand it off real quick and get it right back. Wake kid was smart to quickly could Patterson immediately. Sometimes the other team makes a good play.

100% how I saw it too

As to giving the ball to Patterson, that happened literally 5 feet in front of me. If he doesn't give it to Patterson, it looked like he would have been trapped on the sideline by 2 guys. He had no where else to go. He tried to hand it off real quick and get it right back. Wake kid was smart to quickly could Patterson immediately. Sometimes the other team makes a good play.
In most cases, he's probably supposed to try to keep the guy from penetrating but in those two cases, the other team needed a three so he should have defended the perimeter. I rarely see JB yell at TC no matter what he does.

This was a huge mistake, imo (allowing three). Not sure why the backlash by some here.

kuethstheman said:
In most cases, he's probably supposed to try to keep the guy from penetrating but in those two cases, the other team needed a three so he should have defended the perimeter. I rarely see JB yell at TC no matter what he does.

Got lit into tonight in the first half for a defensive lapse when he turned his head and a guy beat him the other way. But yes, JB saves his best rants for youngsters.

I'm ok with it because him following his guy into the lane allowed 2 defenders to shade toward Mitoglou who wanted the shot, was 10-11fg 4-5 3pt at that stage, and standing at the 3pt line. I'd rather the guy who was 0-5 3pt thus far shoot a 24 footer. Guy made a big shot but it was a shot we wanted them to take vs the alternate who was on god mode during regulation.

I'm ok with it because him following his guy into the lane allowed 2 defenders to shade toward Mitoglou who wanted the shot, was 10-11fg 4-5 3pt at that stage, and standing at the 3pt line. I'd rather the guy who was 0-5 3pt thus far shoot a 24 footer. Guy made a big shot but it was a shot we wanted them to take vs the alternate who was on god mode during regulation.
The shot we wanted them to take up 3 was a two point shot. Not a shot that ties the game. Just my opinion.

The shot we wanted them to take up 3 was a two point shot. Not a shot that ties the game. Just my opinion.

You are right, or course but they were going to hoist a 3 that possession regardless of where It came from unless we gave them a layup and then went to the ft line with a 1 point lead on the other end. As long as Mitoglou wasn't shooting I was happy, the other guy just drilled a clutch shot.

In the first place, you don't play "matador" on the perimeter in JB's defense. If you do, it's pine time. I mean geez, the most dangerous guy on the floor is the guy with the ball. You have to guard him. And if there's dribble penetration into the lane, the first guy to pick him up is the 5. You really want that with Rak having 4 PF's, having to pick him up? And finally, sometimes the other team just makes a play. That's how the game works. Tonight they did, and fortunately we made a few more. That's basketball.

Last edited: