Cooney's Defense At End | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Cooney's Defense At End

You are right, or course but they were going to hoist a 3 that possession regardless of where It came from unless we gave them a layup and then went to the ft line with a 1 point lead on the other end. As long as Mitoglou wasn't shooting I was happy, the other guy just drilled a clutch shot.
I understand your point and I can't disagree that out of anyone on the court Mitoglou couldn't be the one to shoot it. Mike stuck to him there and made sure he wasn't the one getting it. It just has to be instinctive their for trevor to guard the guy with the ball. I'm sure it will be pointed out on film to him and he will learn from it and that's all you can hope for.

I'm convinced that the way the universe works if we contest threes late we'll get a foul called on us. So... we get sucked in to the lane.

In the first place, you don't play matador defense on the perimeter in JB's defense. If you do, it's pine time. And if there's dribble penetration into the lane, the first guy to pick him up is the 5. You really want that with Rak having 4 PF's, having to pick him up? And finally, sometimes the other team just makes plays. That's how the game works. Tonight they did, and we made a few more. That's basketball.
Why would that be a guarenteed fouling situation? He didn't foul when buss let the guy go? also it was a center handling the ball not a guard. Letting him go their isn't the worst you can do. Giving up a game tying open 3 hurts more than a center with the ball in that spot.

Trevor was unbelievable tonight...really really good. One play doesn't change that but it's just something to discuss.

I thought in full speed it was an error and was upset - on the replay it seemed less so. I don't know - have to watch it again to clarify probably, too stressed at the time to really get into it.

Early in the year I thought he and Joseph were both making that mistake a lot - but Cooney seems to have fixed it for the most part (everyone has lapses obviously), Joseph still makes the mistake a lot from what I see.

I'm not going to look at one three he gave up when he produced so much before that. This is stupid.

I do think it's worth thinking about. It just feels like the kid who gets a 99% on his report card and the parent says, "good job, but couldn't you have gotten 100%?" If the post had been titled "end of game defense" instead of "Cooney's defense at the end of regulation was dreadful" you probably would have not seemed like you were nit-picking.

From a basketball standpoint, I like the discussion because I bet that it's "automatic" for him to do what he does in the zone now. That is the difference between a veteran on the team and a freshman. He know where he should be. However... circumstances change that, and he probably should not have done the "normal" thing for him, and should have stayed higher up to be in position to contest a 3 point shot that would tie the game.

I understand your point and I can't disagree that out of anyone on the court Mitoglou couldn't be the one to shoot it. Mike stuck to him there and made sure he wasn't the one getting it. It just has to be instinctive their for trevor to guard the guy with the ball. I'm sure it will be pointed out on film to him and he will learn from it and that's all you can hope for.

Rak was also cheating out and rotating towards him. I felt like if TC let him drive by it was A) an uncontested lay up or B) Rak fouls out after rotating back late or C) someone other than Mitroglou shoots a 3. Admittedly I'm not an avid hoops x's and o's guy as with football but im an odds/nunbersguys and to me C was the least likely option to result in a loss. Worst case with C was it goes to OT and you still have Rak. Had G not fluffed the final layup we were still winners without OT.

Also, I'm not arguing right or wrong as in my mind were both right in the way we think it best handled. I do appreciate the intelligent conversation and seeing how other people would "coach" situations givin the chance.

Last edited:
of regulation was dreadful. He follows their guy into the lane, and the ball comes out to the shooter who hits a game tying trey from where Cooney should have been. Exact same thing he did against Nova at the end of that game. Then tonight he gives the ball up to Patterson, who misses both foul shots. Not trying to nitpick. Cooney played a great game, and we obviously lose without his contributions, but at the end of close games, you have to play smart. BTW, Roberson was an unsung hero tonight.
I believe one of the announcers commented about Cooney needlessly giving the ball up to Patterson. It appeared that JB had something to say about it as well during the ensuing TO. I don't know what instructions were given during the previous TO, but all the SU players on the court need to be aware of whose hands we want the ball in when that situation arises.

JB also was somewhat displeased with Cooney when he fouled the WF player up 3 with 11 secs left in OT. The guy missed the front end of the 1-and-1 (and fortuantely XMas snagged the RB), but JB clearly wanted the foul with less time left.

Aside from our nit-picking, Cooney played an awesome game and it's safe to say we would not have won without him.

Since he has now followed that guy twice and not gotten chewed out, I'm not sure he isn't suppose to. Don't know that for sure but just saying.

As to giving the ball to Patterson, that happened literally 5 feet in front of me. If he doesn't give it to Patterson, it looked like he would have been trapped on the sideline by 2 guys. He had no where else to go. He tried to hand it off real quick and get it right back. Wake kid was smart to quickly foul Patterson immediately. Sometimes the other team makes a good play.

I agree. Watching the game I initially had the same ... "Cooney, how could you?" thought. But after watching the replay a couple of times I'm not sure he made the wrong play. What was the alternative.... foul the player driving into the lane? There is always the possibility that Wake simply ran a very good play to get their shooter open and it wasn't truly anyone's fault.

The shot we wanted them to take up 3 was a two point shot. Not a shot that ties the game. Just my opinion.
JB plays the percentages. Deny the shot to the hot shooter, take your chances with the guy who was 0 for everything.

Igor says this type of defense is just "hoping the other team misses," but JB is playing the percentages and is usually right

Not that his defense was great, but watching the play develop and after, it is clear the person who passed back for the tying three literally run blocked Trevor from contesting the shot. Timeout was called immediately after, but Cooney was still keeled over on the court after taking the two hand shove to his diaphragm area.

Not that his defense was great, but watching the play develop and after, it is clear the person who passed back for the tying three literally run blocked Trevor from contesting the shot. Timeout was called immediately after, but Cooney was still keeled over on the court after taking the two hand shove to his diaphragm area.

It was Devin Thomas - he made a nice drive into the lane, kinda slipped (not traveled), which made him very wide and hard to get around. I doubt that's a moving screen, but it definitely hampered Cooney from getting back to the shooter. All in all, a good play by Wake.
But I guess I would rather Devin go in for a layup. If Rak would have fouled out on that drive, I wold have a different opinion. 20/20 hindsight makes us all look smart.