Cooney's Playing Time | Syracusefan.com

Cooney's Playing Time

OrangeCrush22

All American
Here are the percentages of the guards...

Player A
3P% - .298
FG% - .425
FT% - .743

Player B
3P% - .247
FG% - .322
FT% - .818

Player C
3P% - .283
FG% - .379
FT% - .744

A is Triche. B is Cooney. C is Carter-Williams.

Why does he get significantly less playing time, when his numbers aren't significantly less than his peers? He got two great shots off against Georgetown, missed both. He got three great shots off against Marquette, made one, and had two very nice assists. If he keeps getting good shots off, then eventually they'll start to fall.

Last year Southerland averaged 3.5 more minutes per game than Cooney is this year. For a solid chunk of last season Southerland was awful, and kept getting playing time to "shoot his way out of his slump". Why doesn't Cooney get this benefit?

It's about way more than numbers.

JB doesn't trust him yet. He's got more seasoned guys ahead of him, and JB will always rely on the more seasoned guy unless the talent differential is way too big to ignore.

Just posted this in another thread. But at the current rate - considering the reality of this season is that a longer tourney run would be more gravy than potatoes.. I would rather see us go out early with Trevor playing a lot more minutes and given the opportunity to have a couple of good shooting games than have to wait another whole off-season to see whether he will ever get there.

in two minutes trevor's face goes from peachypink to bullcape red with hounddog like panting.

I like Cooney but he has not really done much offensively this year. Occasionally he teases us with a 3 pointer but he has not shown much consistency. Boeheim has always had a short leash with more inexperienced players. Fans may question it, but don't think it will change.

Boeheim is not unlike a lot of coaches. He coaches each game "in the moment". He is not concerned with developing players for some point in the future. That is what practices and the off season are for.

...Why does he get significantly less playing time, when his numbers aren't significantly less than his peers?...
Same reason DC2 gets far less time than junk-mail scorers Keita and Christmas; same reason Jerami has played a lot less since Southerland came back; he's a freshman.

in all seriousness. if cooney can't improve his 3 point % to 40 plus next season (see monroe,janulis,roe, or even cipolla altho slightly less) i simply don't see much of a future here. we need him to be a deep shooter.

Assuming those numbers are correct - yuck! That is serious bad. We finally get some guys who can make FTs and they can't make anything else.

Well, because Cooney's our worst scholarship guard.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

right now we have 3 guards playing poor basketball.. if cooney can be a spark somehow like he was against marquette- let the kid play- brandon seems to really have put himself in a mental corner- which is odd after what seemed like a breakout against seton hall- but he has always had his shooting touch when playing at shu- i remember the one game he hit 5 straight 3s

in all seriousness. if cooney can't improve his 3 point % to 40 plus next season (see monroe,janulis,roe, or even cipolla altho slightly less) i simply don't see much of a future here. we need him to be a deep shooter.

G-Mac never got higher than 38% and Andy only hit 40% as a senior...somehow I don't think we need to deem Trevor a failure if he shoots like those two.

G-Mac never got higher than 38% and Andy only hit 40% as a senior...somehow I don't think we need to deem Trevor a failure if he shoots like those two.
Think about that. Most of us considered Andy to be a phenomenal 3 point shooter senior year, yet he wouldn't be in the top 100 this year with that %. wow

Great post & FWIW, though the majority Andy's minutes came pre-conf. & Cooney has had many more "bad misses" in comparison.

Andy (Fr.): 15-46 3pt, 32.6%

Cooney: 24-86, 27.9%

I knew the numbers were bad but wow. Never seen bricklaying like this anywhere.

The difference is that when the other two guards take a shot, there is not a 50/50 chance its an air ball.

The difference is that when the other two guards take a shot, there is not a 50/50 chance its an air ball.
I hope you're joking. They don't give points for being closer on a miss. Either they go in and the don't. Only the ones that go in count. The kid can shoot, of that is is no doubt. When he gets some real time and has a chance to find a rhythm, he do just fine. Right now, he knows he has to put up shots and make them in order to get time, so he' pressing. If he knew he was getting 15+ minutes no matter what, he'd start to make them. Anybody that plays knows how hard it is to come in cold and be expected to hit from deep. Few guys are suited for that at any level.

i want cooney to get more minutes so he can learn and so that the coaches can help MCW and Triche get a hold of themselves from time to time.

triche and MCW don't need to both play 37+ minutes.

I hope you're joking. They don't give points for being closer on a miss. Either they go in and the don't. Only the ones that go in count. The kid can shoot, of that is is no doubt. When he gets some real time and has a chance to find a rhythm, he do just fine. Right now, he knows he has to put up shots and make them in order to get time, so he' pressing. If he knew he was getting 15+ minutes no matter what, he'd start to make them. Anybody that plays knows how hard it is to come in cold and be expected to hit from deep. Few guys are suited for that at any level.[/quote)

Actually air balls and shots that don't hit softly on the rim are worse for the team because they usually don't give much chance for a tip-in or offensive rebound.

Player D
3P% - 100%
FG% - 100%
FT% - 0%

Let's get Albert Nassar some PT!

Player D
3P% - 100%
FG% - 100%
FT% - 0%

nah, the other team would see that 0% FT shooting and foul him at every touch!

A player's overall contribution to the team is about way more than shooting accuracy.
Consider Player E:
3P% - 41.3%
FG% - 41.1%
FT% - 66.7%

(Mookie Jones)

Player D
3P% - 100%
FG% - 100%
FT% - 0%

Ahhh...the power of statistics to skew an argument.

Collin "Blowhard" at the start of his radio show on ESPN radio this morning was dissing Carmelo and saying "oh, you can't win with a ball-stopper. Denver was 8-2 without Melo after the trade."

What about the fact that they're 5 seed right now? Statistics can be skewed to win any arguement.