Cooney's Playing Time | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Cooney's Playing Time

trevor (28%)currently trails both stevie thompson (30) and derrick coleman (29) in 3 point %. the thing being those two guys brought A LOT more game to the table. monroe ,janulis and roe were SHOOTERS. and yes i don't think setting the bar at 40% is unreasonable. lotta college and BE players shooting 40+%.

Based on the OP numbers, it appears that BT's stats particularly fg% are significantly better - to me it kinda makes the opposite argument from what was intended. And Cooney only plays sg so he'd only be taking minutes from BT

"Actually air balls and shots that don't hit softly on the rim are worse for the team because they usually don't give much chance for a tip-in or offensive rebound."

And all generalizations are false....give me a break.

"Actually air balls and shots that don't hit softly on the rim are worse for the team because they usually don't give much chance for a tip-in or offensive rebound."

And all generalizations are false....give me a break.

Hey hey hey, One break, Comin' up!!!

"Actually air balls ..."

or what we now commonly call the "alleyoop from triche" attempt.

in all seriousness. if cooney can't improve his 3 point % to 40 plus next season (see monroe,janulis,roe, or even cipolla altho slightly less) i simply don't see much of a future here. we need him to be a deep shooter.

I completely agree. I think Cooney has been given ample opportunity to be productive and he's come up short-handed almost every time.

Why would we hold Cooney to the expectation of shooting 40% or better? GMac was only close to that as a sophomore and he brought much less to the table. Sure, he had leadership out his a$$ and ice water in his veins but from a talent perspective, Cooney can do more. He's looks to be a better defender than GMac, he's stronger, faster, bigger, just as good at ballhandling, and probably an equally good passer. But we should expect him to shoot 5 percentage points higher than Gerry did, with an extended 3-point line? I don't know about that. 35% would be plenty for me, and it is a very attainable mark once he gets some more PT.

How come when other teams shoot air balls, they always seem to get Offensive Rebounds and layups. But when we STRATEGICALLY shoot airballs, nothing good comes of it.

Defense. BT and MCW can get shots for others. Cooney can't just yet.

It's about way more than numbers.

JB doesn't trust him yet. He's got more seasoned guys ahead of him, and JB will always rely on the more seasoned guy unless the talent differential is way too big to ignore.
His more seasoned guys are getting gassed against good defending BE teams. They need more breathers.

Based on the OP numbers, it appears that BT's stats particularly fg% are significantly better - to me it kinda makes the opposite argument from what was intended. And Cooney only plays sg so he'd only be taking minutes from BT

Someone should. He can use some time on the bench each game to watch and get his bearings back. MCW and BT play too many minutes.

Why would we hold Cooney to the expectation of shooting 40% or better? GMac was only close to that as a sophomore and he brought much less to the table. Sure, he had leadership out his a$$ and ice water in his veins but from a talent perspective, Cooney can do more. He's looks to be a better defender than GMac, he's stronger, faster, bigger, just as good at ballhandling, and probably an equally good passer. But we should expect him to shoot 5 percentage points higher than Gerry did, with an extended 3-point line? I don't know about that. 35% would be plenty for me, and it is a very attainable mark once he gets some more PT.

If you think cooney can handle as good as gmac - you seriously can not evaluate talent

Cooney looked scared to take more than2 dribbles against louisville's pressure - that is why jb did not play him in the second half - serious ball handling deficiencies

but cooney looks like a baldwin

If you think cooney can handle as good as gmac - you seriously can not evaluate talent

Cooney looked scared to take more than2 dribbles against louisville's pressure - that is why jb did not play him in the second half - serious ball handling deficiencies

You do know that GMac rarely beat any presses with his ballhandling, right? You are severely overvaluing GMac's ability and you are clueless about Cooney's. It is a logical fallacy to conclude that Cooney cannot dribble based on the fact that he is reluctant to do so. Furthermore, beating a press should usually involve minimal or no dribbling.

30 games of hard evidence to the contrary say it's a logical fallacy to conclude T.C. can shoot the three.