Cornell Game Thread... | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Cornell Game Thread...

Best case we run the table...#1 seed possible?

By run the table, do you mean the ACC Tournament as well?

And it doesn’t matter. If Penn State wins out, including the Big Ten tournament, then it gets the No. 1 seed regardless of what anyone else does.

Cuse should be undefeated, but it’s not. With three bad losses. Colgate never should of happened. And the Notre Dame and Virginia losses, while not bad in terms of who they lost to, were awful in how they lost. No way they sniff the top seed, unless they absolutely wreck everyone in the ACC Tournament (as the 3 seed?), Hopkins/Rutgers wins the Big Ten and Cornell wins the Ivy. And then only maybe.

Great performance last night, especially on defense. I know Mellen and Porter will get most of the headlines (deservedly so) but I thought Bomberry was outstanding last night. His proficiency on groundballs is really impressive and I don't think gets talked about enough. I've never seen someone be able to pick the ball out of the air like he does - he gets rebounds, he gets contested groundballs he has no business getting. Really its amazing. Oh, and he had a great tone setting over the head takeaway early in the game as well. He has really been playing well lately and I think he deserves more credit.

The short sticks have also really improved this season. At one point Cornell inverted Helmer behind the cage and tried for about 10 seconds to dodge him - he got no help but stood his ground and forced a pretty weak shot. I've been really impressed by this unit. Obviously Dearth gets most of the press but even the backups have played well. What a turnaround from the last couple of years.

Offensively I thought SU played well and scored a lot of unassisted goals. They moved the ball well and played uptempo but also took long patient possessions. If I had to nitpick Trimbolli and Curry combined for just 3-18 shooting, which really could have been a lot better. They played well but it would be really great to see them connect on more of their shots. Overall though, a good performance - this unit is so much better when Rhefuss is playing like his old self.

I would add that Cunningham did an excellent job on Piatelli. He forced at least 2 turnovers while guarding him and didn't ever need someone to slide and help.

A common refrain about Teat is "how do people consider him on the level of spencer and ament when he can't ever take over a game?" The main reason is that he is a different type of dominant player who mainly relies on the aftermath of a teammate forcing a slide and putting the defense on the carousel. If he gets the ball while the defense is still in the process of sliding after a successful dodge then there is nobody better in the nation at turning that unsettled situation into a goal. On top of that he has perhaps the most incredible off ball finishing and shot accuracy in the nation when he is in that situation.

While Mellen did an excellent job on him the few times he attempted to dodge, the main reason he didn't fill the stat sheet is because we were darn near perfect in 1v1 situations. Piatelli was ineffective (even when dodging against Helmer that one time as Powellfan pointed out), fletcher was scary but Dearth and Kennedy did a solid job on reducing the amount of slides to him, Danville and McCullough almost were nonexistent, and as a result we limited the situations that Teat is an absolute master at exploiting. The only dodger that really impressed me was that tiny Liccardi guy #13. Holding Cornell to 18 shots on goal is an incredible achievement.

Bomberry is a wizard on groundballs out there, most times I don't know how he comes out of a scrum but he is smooth as hell getting the ball and clearing it. The other point you made regarding the play of the SSDM's this season, so much better than last season. Dearth keeps getting better and Helmer/Murphy etc mostly seem to be able to hold their own. In fact one of Cornells goal came because Kennedy slid to a shortie when he had no reason to leaving a guy wide open for an easy time and room finish. When this defense is locked in I really think they're one of the better units in the country.

I thought the SU D was outstanding last night.. as usual cornell just has so little ball possession that mistakes add up.. i also dont think the goalie is playing that well.. too many goals on shots from decent range go in. How cornell hung around 3-4 down most of the game its a shame they just cant go on runs with no clean faceoff wins..

SU needs to play at that level every game.

Great performance last night, especially on defense. I know Mellen and Porter will get most of the headlines (deservedly so) but I thought Bomberry was outstanding last night. His proficiency on groundballs is really impressive and I don't think gets talked about enough. I've never seen someone be able to pick the ball out of the air like he does - he gets rebounds, he gets contested groundballs he has no business getting. Really its amazing. Oh, and he had a great tone setting over the head takeaway early in the game as well. He has really been playing well lately and I think he deserves more credit.

The short sticks have also really improved this season. At one point Cornell inverted Helmer behind the cage and tried for about 10 seconds to dodge him - he got no help but stood his ground and forced a pretty weak shot. I've been really impressed by this unit. Obviously Dearth gets most of the press but even the backups have played well. What a turnaround from the last couple of years.

Offensively I thought SU played well and scored a lot of unassisted goals. They moved the ball well and played uptempo but also took long patient possessions. If I had to nitpick Trimbolli and Curry combined for just 3-18 shooting, which really could have been a lot better. They played well but it would be really great to see them connect on more of their shots. Overall though, a good performance - this unit is so much better when Rhefuss is playing like his old self.
Bomberry played his best game this season last night. Pulled the ball out of several key train wrecks. Irelan had a lot to do with low shot percentages.

What a great game to watch. I can only imagine how it felt in the Dome.
Surprising result which definitely can lead to raised expectations.
Need to have the Orangemen in the tournament and need to have them win their first round game this year.
A Final Four appearance is loooong overdue and would be icing on the cake.

I'm still not a fan of the current shot clock rule (yes, I hated the stalling tactics as well)... but with teams that like to attack it's not as big of a deal. Maybe 2 minutes instead of 80 seconds or some other tweak that would reset the clock on a legitimate shot attempt.

While I'm on a rant, I'm not a fan of the new ACC tournament format either. I'd rather see the #4 host the #5 on the Tuesday/Wednesday and have a proper 4-team tournament at a rotating location. Or, have the 4 vs. 5 game at the tournament location. Ideally all games would be played at the tournament location, but that would imply a Wednesday #4 vs. #5, Friday semifinals and a Sunday final. Might be too long of a stay for #4 & #5 if they advance to the final.

What a great game to watch. I can only imagine how it felt in the Dome.
Surprising result which definitely can lead to raised expectations.
Need to have the Orangemen in the tournament and need to have them win their first round game this year.
A Final Four appearance is loooong overdue and would be icing on the cake.

I'm still not a fan of the current shot clock rule (yes, I hated the stalling tactics as well)... but with teams that like to attack it's not as big of a deal. Maybe 2 minutes instead of 80 seconds or some other tweak that would reset the clock on a legitimate shot attempt.

While I'm on a rant, I'm not a fan of the new ACC tournament format either. I'd rather see the #4 host the #5 on the Tuesday/Wednesday and have a proper 4-team tournament at a rotating location. Or, have the 4 vs. 5 game at the tournament location. Ideally all games would be played at the tournament location, but that would imply a Wednesday #4 vs. #5, Friday semifinals and a Sunday final. Might be too long of a stay for #4 & #5 if they advance to the final.

80 seconds is plenty of time. No need to make it 120 seconds. Although I wouldn't object if the clock reset to 60 after a shot attempt if the offensive team retains possession.

And yes, the new ACCT format sucks.

Push it to the last week of the season (like every other conference), and only the top 4 make it. If 4 teams are good enough for the B1G and the Ivy, it's good enough for us.

i know i made a few jeff teat jokes but he gets my respect. he's a helluva talent. wish we got him.

i know i made a few jeff teat jokes but he gets my respect. he's a helluva talent. wish we got him.
Myself and pacusewife wife giggled when they say his and make jokes about it...how can you not? Wish he was on our team he is amazing.

Teat is obviously an outstanding player but I will say the only 2 times last year I got to see him in person, against Princeton and then against Maryland in the Quarterfinals he was very underwhelming in the those games.

Teat is obviously an outstanding player but I will say the only 2 times last year I got to see him in person, against Princeton and then against Maryland in the Quarterfinals he was very underwhelming in the those games.

I saw him when we played Cornell in Ithaca last year. I've been scared of him ever since. Even now I leave the room if people start talking about Canada too much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom