Cornerback | Syracusefan.com

Cornerback

anomander

Living Legend
Is this group (Frederick, Scoop, Melfi, Trill) of CB's the best we have had up on the hill? It may not be the best at the top, but 1-4, I don't think you can find a better group, at least in the last 30 years. We lost both Frederick and Scoop, and there was absolutely no drop off. In fact Melfi had a spectacular game in relief. Can't wait to see how he was graded out by PFF. I love seeing those big, long corners like Melfi and Trill. Just how good is this whole group of DB's going to be in the next couple years? Trill, Melfi, Cisco, with studs like Jonas redshirting could end up being one of the better position groups in the ACC. How much of a difference is it seeing these athletes compared to what we had only 3 short years ago with, 5'9 Dowels, 5'10 Hudson, 5'10 Williams, and 5'8 Cordy. Now we go 6'3 Melfi, 6'2 Trill, 6' Cisco.

Take away that brutal opening game performance by Scoop and Cisco and this group has probably been the best on the entire team.

Frederick may not be the tallest corner but his wingspan is crazy. Agree great group.

Their potential ceiling is high. Probably the highest. Our best cornerback group I think was the 1995 group.

single season

Kevin Abrams (6 picks and 18 pass breakups)
Rod Gadson (3 picks and 14 pass breakups)
Phil Nash (1 pick and 6 pass breakups)
Darrell Parker (4 picks and 5 pass breakups)

with Donovon Darius at safety (2 picks, 9 breakups and 131 tackles)

Last edited:
Chris Fredricks is big time. Just has to keep focus and fine tune.

Frederick may not be the tallest corner but his wingspan is crazy. Agree great group.
I'm Jay Bilas and I approve this post
BrFTEG8CMAESSln.jpg

Spelling is Chris Fredrick.

Interesting that our 3 DB commits revert to the smaller size -- 5 ft 10 or so. Don't know if they have crazy wingspans.

Melfi had a great showing. Future looks bright, although I'm not sure that I fully trust him yet given the relative inexperience [great bloodlines, obviously].

But I can't remember the last time we had a tandem of BACKUP corners of this caliber. Trill and Melfi look like they have pro potential. So does Frederick. And Scoop gets maligned on this forum sometimes, but he's actually pretty damn good.

Great group. I trust the coaches on the prospects they're lining up.

Is this group (Frederick, Scoop, Melfi, Trill) of CB's the best we have had up on the hill? It may not be the best at the top, but 1-4, I don't think you can find a better group, at least in the last 30 years. We lost both Frederick and Scoop, and there was absolutely no drop off. In fact Melfi had a spectacular game in relief. Can't wait to see how he was graded out by PFF. I love seeing those big, long corners like Melfi and Trill. Just how good is this whole group of DB's going to be in the next couple years? Trill, Melfi, Cisco, with studs like Jonas redshirting could end up being one of the better position groups in the ACC. How much of a difference is it seeing these athletes compared to what we had only 3 short years ago with, 5'9 Dowels, 5'10 Hudson, 5'10 Williams, and 5'8 Cordy. Now we go 6'3 Melfi, 6'2 Trill, 6' Cisco.

Take away that brutal opening game performance by Scoop and Cisco and this group has probably been the best on the entire team.

Emphasis on the word "short." I absolutely love this group. I thought Iffy was fantastic. I believe I saw that he had 4 pass breakups.

Do we know the availability of Fredrick & Scoop for next week? We definitely need the full compliment of players, especially against Finley.

Spelling is Chris Fredrick.

Interesting that our 3 DB commits revert to the smaller size -- 5 ft 10 or so. Don't know if they have crazy wingspans.
Ur the only one who spells it right lol

Emphasis on the word "short." I absolutely love this group. I thought Iffy was fantastic. I believe I saw that he had 4 pass breakups.

Do we know the availability of Fredrick & Scoop for next week? We definitely need the full compliment of players, especially against Finley.

There was one play when UNC tried to exploit him [as a frosh, it made sense to test him]. Instead, he big-boy'd the receiver and knocked it away.

Different caliber athlete, he and Trill both. And these are our BACKUPS.

I think Frederick will be a go. Think he just had a sprain. Not sure what exactly happened to Scoop.

Scoop has really rebounded well from that WMU game. He is probably the fastest guy on the team. His speed and hustle probably saved the UNC game. After they broke that long play Scoop was able to chase the guy down from the opposite field and tackle him around the 10. We ended up holding them to a FG, which allowed us to eventually force the game into OT. Small plays like that get overlooked, but it just shows the little things that add to a season saving win.

Frederick has also turned into a super dependable ACC CB. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get 3rd team or at least honorable mention all-acc. There have been very few times, if any at all, where his guy has got behind him. He will let up some passes in front of him at times, but that's usually it. Besides those and a couple real nice back shoulder throws completed against him, he's pretty much been lock down city.

What a group that will all be back for another season.

Ur the only one who spells it right lol

Some posters have seen the light -- others like Fredericks or Frederick regardless of how it is spelled in the roster, on his uniform, on the depth chart. If Fredrick gets all-ACC, will RF2044 and anomander get his name right?

We do have a good set of CBs. Hope they are healthy for November games.

Some posters have seen the light -- others like Fredericks or Frederick regardless of how it is spelled in the roster, on his uniform, on the depth chart. If Fredrick gets all-ACC, will RF2044 and anomander get his name right?

Who are you -- the spelling police? Unbelievable.

Yeah -- so hard to know how to spell the name of a multi-year starter.

Last time I checked, you weren't the board's first grade English teacher.

Very odd crusade to be on, given that the name has an unusual spelling. Who cares?

They might not have the highest star recruiting rankings but I like our young talent. Especially the defensive backs all these freshmen we are seeing this year should have a shot at playing their way onto NFL radars. Very good job by the coaching staff finding these guys.

I think Frederick will be a go. Think he just had a sprain. Not sure what exactly happened to Scoop.

Scoop has really rebounded well from that WMU game. He is probably the fastest guy on the team. His speed and hustle probably saved the UNC game. After they broke that long play Scoop was able to chase the guy down from the opposite field and tackle him around the 10. We ended up holding them to a FG, which allowed us to eventually force the game into OT. Small plays like that get overlooked, but it just shows the little things that add to a season saving win.

Frederick has also turned into a super dependable ACC CB. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get 3rd team or at least honorable mention all-acc. There have been very few times, if any at all, where his guy has got behind him. He will let up some passes in front of him at times, but that's usually it. Besides those and a couple real nice back shoulder throws completed against him, he's pretty much been lock down city.

What a group that will all be back for another season.

Thanks for the info. And I could not agree more. I never worry about Fredrick getting beat. With our last group of DB's, it was just a matter of when & how often they were going to get beat over the top. I have a ton of confidence in the DB's on this roster. While I think Cisco has been solid for a freshman, I'm hoping our group of safeties can get on/near that level. That would make for a scary secondary.

Am I the only one that sees if we run 4-2-5 Trill needs to be covering the slots as long as we have Scoop and Fred or and Iffy. I see Cordy chasing people all the time and I don’t think they outquick him as I feel he looks into backfield and gets caught doing so and now there is separation. Whig would know more than me but Cordy gets beat a lot and Trill is 6’2”1/2 at 200 lbs. He can handle that spot clearly. Imagine a pure pass down and our 5 guys are Trill, scoop, Fred,Cisco, and Iffy covering the whole damn field. Wow we touch gloves and cover the whole field lol.

Has anyone heard how Jones is doing with knee or is he tearing it up at safety on scout?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom