correlation between defense and wins and offense and wins | Syracusefan.com

correlation between defense and wins and offense and wins

Millhouse

Living Legend
I arbitrarily started at 86-87 and correlated defensive points per game to wins and offensive points per games and wins

The correlation between our defensive ppg and number of wins is -0.05

The correlation between our offensive ppg and number of wins is 0.33

Neither are really strong but offense sure has a stronger relationship to wins

I arbitrarily started at 86-87 and correlated defensive points per game to wins and offensive points per games and wins

Our defense is obsolete-period!

I’m just gonna say it. Our defense is obsolete, our offense non existent. And that’s why we became a second tier program. It’s obvious.

Could you give an example of how that data reads? For every one less point we allow we lose .05 more games? Would that mean for every 20 more points we allow we lose 1 more game?

That may simply mean that when we were really good we played an uptempo, blow them out, style. Now that we're not top tier we're playing a cautious, beat you with the zone, style.
What's the correlation with All-American tier players?

When you score more points than the other team, you win

Could you give an example of how that data reads? For every one less point we allow we lose .05 more games? Would that mean for every 20 more points we allow we lose 1 more game?
don't read too much into it - it says that how much we score has a little stronger relationship with wins than how much we allow

I've noticed for years that the NCAA listing of top scoring teams and the teams that gave up the fewest points, when the team's W-L record is also listed, seem to favor a relationship between scoring points and winning. of course, in this sport, that equates to talent level. Teams with less talent tend to try to slow the game down to keep the margin down and make the chance of an upset later. I don't think there's a similar relationship in other sports. In football, talent improves both offense and defensive scoring. In baseball the two things are totally separate. I'm not sure about hockey, soccer or lacrosse.

Good offense beats good defense. Great offense beats great defense. Hell, bad offense beats bad defense.

True in all sports, since the dawn of time.

Good offense beats good defense. Great offense beats great defense. Hell, bad offense beats bad defense.

True in all sports, since the dawn of time.

The reverse can also be said. I've said this for years:

If you play good defense and you score high, you. win. If you play good defense and you score low, maybe you win. If you play bad defense and you score high, maybe your win If you play bad defense and you score low, you lose. Defense keeps you in games so your offense can have a better chance to win it.

But offense does more than sell tickets: it can plaster over your weaknesses. If you are scoring a lot, you weaknesses and mistakes may not matter. You can score enough to overcome them. If you can't do that, then everything matters. You don't want everything to matter.

I've said that for years, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom