Could ACC-BIG10 Challenge be coming to an end? | Syracusefan.com

Could ACC-BIG10 Challenge be coming to an end?

CU44SE

All Conference
Just saw on twitter. And it is a good point I never thought about. ESPN currently owns rights to some Big 10 basketball content. However, that will change with this next contract the Big 10 is about to sign. Does that bring an end to the ACC-Big 10 challenge? ESPN does NOT like the Big 10 right now and I could see them not being happy that only half of the challenge would be on ESPN.

I could see ESPN telling the ACC to change the challenge to the PAC or the SEC depending on how the PAC contract works out and the potential merge/media rights merge.

This tweet?

Yes, that is the one. Katz did work for ESPN and now works for big ten network. I would think he would have some pretty good knowledge on what the thinking is.

Hope so, I'd rather play pretty much any other confrence then the Big10 in basketball. Games against the big east for example would be far more interesting and compelling. Id even rather play the PAC if that partnership was ever reached. Playing Ohio St, Wisconsin, Purdue, Iowa, or even Indiana (and I lived through '87) does almost nothing for me, could care less. If we can make more money or play more interesting teams elsewhere then im all for it.

Seth Davis in his mailbag article yesterday was asked about future ACC-Big 10 challenge by a reader. He said something similar to Andy Katz that he thinks it will be done in the next year or 2. He doesn’t see it continuing.

There’s no Big 10 team I really care about playing aside from MSU.

Indiana’s fun and all but it’s gotten less exciting

If the ACC-B10 Challenge ends, what replaces it?
I think it will become the ACC-SEC Challenge. With the SEC expansion to 16 teams, one of their teams will sit out each year and all the ACC teams will get to play. A bunch of their teams have improved and I think they'd love to play the ACC each year as a measurement of their improvement.

Kinda bummer, the Big Ten does usually have a few good teams. But it can open up a slot to play Nova/St Johns/maybe even Storrs every year

I think it will become the ACC-SEC Challenge. With the SEC expansion to 16 teams, one of their teams will sit out each year and all the ACC teams will get to play. A bunch of their teams have improved and I think they'd love to play the ACC each year as a measurement of their improvement.
Isn't the SEC already in conference challenge against the Big 12?

Big Ten already moved on and has the Gavitt Games with the Big East.

They have no reason to help ESPN or the ACC and continue this.

The SEC schools should generate good enough ratings and be a fit. Geographic overlap definitely takes away a lot of the buzz though same thing if it were the Big East. But ESPN wants to air marquee basketball games those days one way or another Maui and ACC/B1G is the only early season hoops they have promoted recently.

I would love it if they brought back the 24 hour marathon that was awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom