Could Battle make a Waiters like Sophomore leap? | Syracusefan.com

Could Battle make a Waiters like Sophomore leap?

Alsacs

Living Legend
Sophomore Dion Waiters was the best player at Syracuse since Melo.
I remember freshman Waiters didn't mesh with JB and the team but he came back and was really good his 2nd year.
Dion could play with the ball in his hands I really hope Battle makes that leap next year.

Battle's development is key to next year being good:
We need Battle, Lydon, Thompson to be the big 3.​

I'll be honest, I haven't been impressed with Battle at all considering the hype he had. Some people here had him the best player here from day 1. He's struggling as bad as the rest of the guards.

I think he is a stud athlete who could be pretty good offensively should he get some iso and clear outs. Last night was not a good night for him.

I have been surprised by his lack of intuitiveness on the court and his complete inability to play defense. He looks lost out there.

Thompson looks like the higher rated freshman IMO. Battle is the 4th or 5th best player on a bad team right now.

TT is definitely the more developed and will be a real force (hopefully) next year and so on(I'm sure he'll peak before graduation and leave), but Battle really is a superb athlete. I'll admit I definitely figured he would only be here one year, but the more I watch the more I realize, I'm pretty sure he'll be back. The comparison to Waiters is good, since Dion might be one of the few players at that same position who might be a better athlete than Battle, but to say that Dion's actual basketball skills are better than Battle's would be incorrect. I would say that Battle could have a higher ceiling than Dion, it's just a matter of when it clicks for him. Dion clicked big time as a sophomore. Hopefully Battle is able to do the same!

I am so sick of players looking lost on the court. How many times have we said that this year?

Most of these kids have been playing basketball their entire lives and love this game. Suddenly at Syracuse they look like they haven't played basketball ever? I understand competition and d1 ball is a huge upgrade but come on.

It's more likely that he will make the Michael Carter Williams sophomore leap... to the NBA or worse,the way things are going, the Kaleb Joseph sophomore leap to another program.

Sophomore Dion Waiters was the best player at Syracuse since Melo.
I remember freshman Waiters didn't mesh with JB and the team but he came back and was really good his 2nd year.
Dion could play with the ball in his hands I really hope Battle makes that leap next year.

Battle's development is key to next year being good:
We need Battle, Lydon, Thompson to be the big 3.​

Absolutely, because Battle is way more talented / versatile than what he's shown.

I wonder if the foot injury has been a lingering problem all season, and that's why he isn't taking it to the hole more. Never expected him to be primarily a catch and shoot guy.

Absolutely, because Battle is way more talented / versatile than what he's shown.

I wonder if the foot injury has been a lingering problem all season, and that's why he isn't taking it to the hole more. Never expected him to be primarily a catch and shoot guy.

Foot has to be an issue otherwise gillon wouldnt be starting

I don't think it's just the foot. He's athletic and a good shooter, but he REALLY needs work on his handle. He struggles to get by his man and when he does he also cannot finish at the rim at all.

I don't think it's just the foot. He's athletic and a good shooter, but he REALLY needs work on his handle. He struggles to get by his man and when he does he also cannot finish at the rim at all.

Remember when a lot of posters were clamoring for him to be the team's point guard? Yeah... about that handle...

The only thing I disagree with is that he can't finish--that should be the strength of his game. It's like something is holding him back [which is why I speculated about the effects of the injury -- not saying that it is fact].

Good athletic ability -- weak guard skills, other than a very good jump shot when he gets an open look. He can get a lot better, with a lot of work over the summer. I suspect he got by on pure athletic ability and size, when competing in high school.

At this point, I just hope Battle and Thompson are back next year. The way things are heading, I wouldn't blame either for leaving for the NBA (foolish) or another school.

For as bad as it feels now Battle, Lydon, TT is a very solid core group for next year.

I've been wrong about every early entry but Lydon is slow for the league.

For as bad as it feels now Battle, Lydon, TT is a very solid core group for next year.

I've been wrong about every early entry but Lydon is slow for the league.

He's more athletic than Frank Kaminsky. And he plays 25 minutes a night for Charlotte.

My guess is that they expected Lydon to leave, but now his stock may be falling too much. He'll still average close to a double double in ACC play and any better than that will push him up again. We'll see. The recruiting class for 2017 has been a major disappointment considering A) the number of open scholrships and B) the quality of talent in SU's recruiting grounds.

I am so sick of players looking lost on the court. How many times have we said that this year?

Most of these kids have been playing basketball their entire lives and love this game. Suddenly at Syracuse they look like they haven't played basketball ever? I understand competition and d1 ball is a huge upgrade but come on.

I could not agree more with you. The whole "freshman mistake" thing or a grad transfer not knowing what to do or where to be on the court is inexcuseable. As you said, you've been playing basketball for a number of years. It's not like there are complex new rules or situations. You should at least have a basic understanding of the zone since I assume it's practiced every single day. If these kids can't pick things up quickly enough in practice, don't play them - although I'm not sure what other options we have as basically 2/3 of the team looks lost. It's just a very frustrating situation. I can't remember a team that was less cohesive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom