Could Chukwu develop into Rudy Gobert. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Could Chukwu develop into Rudy Gobert.

Just so we're clear on how good Gobert is. Here's a link to his rim protection stats. (limited to players who defended a minimum of 200 shots at the rim last year). Last year, Rudy was the best rim protector in the league, holding players to 41% shooting at the rim. When he was at the rim, opponents shot 41% on the easiest shots in the game! Jerami Grant is actually pretty high up the list as well.

NBA.com/Stats

I love when the stats back up what i think

I think Gobert's on a different level athletically. His shoulders are much broader, and he has exceptional agility. Not having seen Chukwu, I'll be interested to see his lateral movement. But he's never going to be strong like Gobert.
Very stiff and methodical. Not instinctive or athletic. Caveat: opinions based on one pre season game.

Is he 100 million legit?

Yes. 100 million now in NBA terms is not what it was 20 years ago when guys like Shaq and Mourning were the first ones getting it and people questioned if they were worth it.

Gobert is a beast and is young. Those elite defenders are so valuable and important at center. GS fell apart in the finals when Bogut got hurt and they couldn't protect the basket at all, and if they don't win it this year I think not coming close to replacing him will be the biggest reason. They are so soft in the middle right now. The Lakers feasted in the paint against them and beat them by 20. Yeah, GS was just cold from 3 and probably could've outscored them if they were hot. But that doesn't wash away the point that the Lakers scored at will on them.

Just so we're clear on how good Gobert is. Here's a link to his rim protection stats. (limited to players who defended a minimum of 200 shots at the rim last year). Last year, Rudy was the best rim protector in the league, holding players to 41% shooting at the rim. When he was at the rim, opponents shot 41% on the easiest shots in the game! Jerami Grant is actually pretty high up the list as well.

NBA.com/Stats

Scrolling over that list, I see Ed Davis and I've never understood why he doesn't play more. Good defender, and every time he does get the minutes he's around a 10 ppg on a great FG% type. But he's always been a guy who only gets big minutes if someone else is hurt. Even on the tanking Lakers a few years ago he played less than half the game despite being very effective. I don't get it.

Gobert stifled your 7'3" guy today. Had a nice posterizing dunk and then blocked him on the other end.
14908326_1462663033751815_4734550509645829371_n.jpg

I was there. That dunk was brutal. Took the air out of the place. And yeah, that block on KP was a huge play.

KP had a great game offensively though a lot of it was outside jumpers that were falling.

Yes. 100 million now in NBA terms is not what it was 20 years ago when guys like Shaq and Mourning were the first ones getting it and people questioned if they were worth it.

Somewhat off-topic but this reminds me of the 30-30 about Shaq and Orlando from over the summer, I was like 11 when he left so I didn't know all of the details as it happened, but it just completely boggles my mind that Orlando didn't offer Shaq a max deal the second they had the chance to. The guy was a 23 year old center who in his first 4 years averaged a 27-12-3 on 58% shooting. You give him the max and it's a bargain. Unbelievably stupid.

Haha really?

I just hope he can be a solid shot blocker and interior defender at the college level.

There is literally no chance he's the next Rudy Gobert.

Haha really?

I just hope he can be a solid shot blocker and interior defender at the college level.

There is literally no chance he's the next Rudy Gobert.

This may be worse than the Dion > Irving topic.