Could NCAA Tournament committee follow CFB Playoff's lead? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Could NCAA Tournament committee follow CFB Playoff's lead?

why should they rank the teams each week? It is meaningless until you see the final record.
Why should they? So teams know where they sit in the minds of the committee. Having information allows coaches/teams become easily motivated for games that help their interests in the March.

Why does the AP/Coaches poll rank teams each week? Is that meaningless until the final record? Those polls have no bearing on what the actual committee who seeds teams places the teams.

An official college basketball committee top 25 would be transparent and would no negatives except Bracketologists would lose TV time and there wouldn't be as much suspense on Selection Sunday.

This wouldn't take away too much suspense in terms of who gets in. For teams good enough to be in the top 25, most people would know they would be good for an At Large bid anyway. It may reveal a little about where teams will be seeded but I guess this is good for transparency.

Why should they? So teams know where they sit in the minds of the committee. Having information allows coaches/teams become easily motivated for games that help their interests in the March.

Why does the AP/Coaches poll rank teams each week? Is that meaningless until the final record? Those polls have no bearing on what the actual committee who seeds teams places the teams.

An official college basketball committee top 25 would be transparent and would no negatives except Bracketologists would lose TV time and there wouldn't be as much suspense on Selection Sunday.

Teams dont care where they sit... there is no difference between being a 3 or a 5 seed. its all a crap shoot once the tourney starts. Are you implying teams would try harder if they knew they were 9th, so they could move up to 8th? LOL. this whole concept is completely useless. what a waste of time for everyone involved...

Teams dont care where they sit... there is no difference between being a 3 or a 5 seed. its all a crap shoot once the tourney starts. Are you implying teams would try harder if they knew they were 9th, so they could move up to 8th? LOL. this whole concept is completely useless. what a waste of time for everyone involved...
If you are 7th going into Championship week you know that winning your conference title you could move up to the 1 line and know exactly which teams you need to lose.

If your 13th in the poll and you know pretty much it doesn't matter.

Jim Boeheim uses the conference tournament depending on his team if the team was struggling like in 2013 it can help the team get confidence or he can just punt it like he did in 2012 knowing he had a 1 seed locked up. If JB looked at the poll and he would be one of the coaches who follows the stuff nationally he would know exactly what to do depending on the season more than now just guessing.

I don't get how giving information to the public can be anything but a good thing.

There's a big difference between being a 3 seed and a 5 seed. Three seeds win their first round game 80 percent of the time and 5 seeds win about 55 percent. It's a crap shoot once you get past the first round. Coaches want a top 4 seed, because chances are you will play close to home. If you are 5 or below theres a good chance you are getting shipped far away from home. We were a 5 in 2004 and had to go play BYU in their backyard while they were a 12 seed.

There's a big difference between being a 3 seed and a 5 seed. Three seeds win their first round game 80 percent of the time and 5 seeds win about 55 percent. It's a crap shoot once you get past the first round. Coaches want a top 4 seed, because chances are you will play close to home. If you are 5 or below theres a good chance you are getting shipped far away from home. We were a 5 in 2004 and had to go play BYU in their backyard while they were a 12 seed.
I mean 14 of the last 15 tournaments one 12 seed has beaten a 5 seed. Being a 5 seed sucks as you get one of the last at-large teams or a really good midmajor as a first round opponent. 1-2-3 seeds get easier first games. Now 14 seeds can beat 3 seeds but its a lot safer for the 3 seed versus 5 seed first round.

These rankings are good for fans that follow bracketing if people don't care about that they could just ignore the information.

they dont have to give us the entire field and an order, just give us an alphabetical list of the at-large #s 25-45.

last 10 in, first 10 out.

start it mid feb, a week or so after the Super Bowl.

I don't like it.

My favorite part of college basketball is selection sunday and watching the brackets get revealed for the first time.
my favorite part is actually watching the games.

see you in march.

If only someone had drawn this parallel when there was a discussion on the board about the FB committee a few weeks ago, and Kaiser had said there was no hope for that person.
im guessing it was you who we now have no hope for and if i recall, it was because you wanted the committee to project wins and losses when doing their rankings, which is ludicrous.

im guessing it was you who we now have no hope for and if i recall, it was because you wanted the committee to project wins and losses when doing their rankings, which is ludicrous.
I made no such statement about projecting wins and losses. On this one, at least, you must be thinking of someone else.

If only someone had drawn this parallel when there was a discussion on the board about the FB committee a few weeks ago, and Kaiser had said there was no hope for that person.

Uh no.

That poster said that the selection committee posting the rankings was bracketology.

Kaiser correctly pointed out that the selection committee posting the rankings is NOT bracketology.

Poster insisted and Kaiser lost patience.

In fact, Kaiser was correct.

Bracketology is the science (art?) of predicting what the brackets will look like while the committee is simply telling everyone what the brackets WILL look like.

There is a difference.

Kaiser was right. Poster was wrong. End of story.

Don't spin it.

Uh no.

That poster said that the selection committee posting the rankings was bracketology.

Kaiser correctly pointed out that the selection committee posting the rankings is NOT bracketology.

Poster insisted and Kaiser lost patience.

In fact, Kaiser was correct.

Bracketology is the science (art?) of predicting what the brackets will look like while the committee is simply telling everyone what the brackets WILL look like.

There is a difference.

Kaiser was right. Poster was wrong. End of story.

Don't spin it.
Well here's what I actually said:

I despise the fact that this committee does a ranking every week. It's basically Bracketology.

Then a response to another poster:

Things change when they're observed.:noidea:

Plus, the Bracketology thing annoys me because the whole premise is stupid - "Here's what the committee would do as it stands right now."

Well, the committee never actually decides right now. The committee decides when the season has concluded.

Then Kaiser said (abridged):

if the season ended today...this WOULD BE the F4.

Then I said:

The season never would end today.

Then Kaiser said I had no hope (Joke's on UEO, like I ever had any hope!).

Then you commented, and my response was:

The constant is "if the season ended today." That isn't a thing. It's not a thing for Joey Brackets, it's not a thing for this playoff committee. It should be meaningless. What I dislike is that I think the attention it gets makes it matter in a way that's different from the polls.

If you want me to be wrong about this, there needs to be a variable circumstance where "the season ends today." There isn't. The season ends once.

Well here's what I actually said:

I despise the fact that this committee does a ranking every week. It's basically Bracketology.

If you want me to be wrong about this, there needs to be a variable circumstance where "the season ends today." There isn't. The season ends once.

LOL...you were the OP? And you referred to the "person" whom Kaiser blasted in the third person singular? Courageous.

Again, and for the last time because I am tiring of the argument, here is why you are wrong.

Each "Bracketology" release DOES assume that the season ends on the day that bracketology is released.

Regardless, bracketology is a prediction of what the brackets would look like if the season ended on that day while the committee is telling you what the brackets would look like if the season ended that day.

A weekly committee release would obviate the need for a bracketologist and Lunardi would have to find a new career...Maybe he could help Heim4prez...

Selection Sunday is about as exciting a sporting event can be that doesn't include any actual sports or athletes doing anything.

LOL...you were the OP? And you referred to the "person" whom Kaiser blasted in the third person singular? Courageous.
I am an incredible man.
Each "Bracketology" release DOES assume that the season ends on the day that bracketology is released.

Regardless, bracketology is a prediction of what the brackets would look like if the season ended on that day while the committee is telling you what the brackets would look like if the season ended that day.
Look, I get it - other people accept the "if the season ended today" ruse. I don't. The season ends one time, and that doesn't change. Whether it's a prognosticator or the person actually making the choice doesn't change that.

A prognosticator says what it would be if the season ended today. The season doesn't end today. Their statement is impossible.

The committee says what it would be if the season ended today. The season doesn't end today. Their statement is impossible.

I am an incredible man.

Look, I get it - other people accept the "if the season ended today" ruse. I don't. The season ends one time, and that doesn't change. Whether it's a prognosticator or the person actually making the choice doesn't change that.

A prognosticator says what it would be if the season ended today. The season doesn't end today. Their statement is impossible.

The committee says what it would be if the season ended today. The season doesn't end today. Their statement is impossible.

Ok. Agree to disagree.

Enjoy the game tonight.

I am an incredible man.

exactly.

so you dont want anything.

just to blindly go about your day and be 'totally shocked!!!' when the F4 is announced.

OR

you want people predicting wins and losses in the committees release...and or bracketology...t0 help get you in the proper mindframe.

so yes, theres no hope for you.

as you were.