Could sports be in danger at Syracuse? | Syracusefan.com

Could sports be in danger at Syracuse?

Read this.

I think this is going to be a tough time for all universities. I expect all coaches salaries will be cut, at Syracuse and virtually everywhere else. But being in the ACC should protect Syracuse from having to drop sports.

Schools outside of the P5 are however in deep deep trouble.

I think this is going to be a tough time for all universities. I expect all coaches salaries will be cut, at Syracuse and virtually everywhere else. But being in the ACC should protect Syracuse from having to drop sports.

Schools outside of the P5 are however in deep deep trouble.

my bigger question is does the ACC really make sense for Syracuse long term if we move to a society where less travel is part of the equation, more geographical connectivity (i.e. more online learning or a portion that is). Schools will need to rethink things if we really really think it's wise for mens soccer to travel to Tallahassee for soccer.

If schools are cutting soccer for costs then the schools need to reassess what they are doing in the first place. I hope there is a Dave Gavitt of sorts trying to figure out if it makes sense to re-regionalize the whole sports landscape again. If you're being truthful to yourselves, the ACC makes no sense for Syracuse in a new post corona world.

Everything that isn’t football or basketball and propped up by TV revenue should just drop to club. For men’s sports this will happen immediately.

Outliers like Syracuse lax or North Dakota hockey will be fine.

Title IX has to go. But will it who knows I guess a few ladies scholarships is fine in theory but in reality the price is too high. Club is probably more fun anyways put the overall student experience first field hockey players don’t need to fly all over the place to play games in empty stadiums no one cares about and spend all that time practicing. The facilities will still be there too.

I’d love to see Lacrosse try and get more TV friendly season starts way too early and ends right when it’s getting attention. All the NCAA softball we get spammed with is ridiculous. Don’t play enough games. It should be televised nightly April-June because pro lacrosse sucks and is like the G league no one cares about it. And baseball will be hurt from this and the Astros scandal games too slow players make too much etc etc. Minor leagues will be a shell of themselves. I’d assume in turn NCAA baseball will survive. I’d just think a college lax game on ACCN gets better ratings than SECN baseball. Definitely would vs softball. Am I wrong?

Last edited:
my bigger question is does the ACC really make sense for Syracuse long term if we move to a society where less travel is part of the equation, more geographical connectivity (i.e. more online learning or a portion that is). Schools will need to rethink things if we really really think it's wise for mens soccer to travel to Tallahassee for soccer.

If schools are cutting soccer for costs then the schools need to reassess what they are doing in the first place. I hope there is a Dave Gavitt of sorts trying to figure out if it makes sense to re-regionalize the whole sports landscape again. If you're being truthful to yourselves, the ACC makes no sense for Syracuse in a new post corona world.

Ridiculous ACC television deal supports the entire thing and pays for our teams to charter. There will be no one to play in the Northeast in football anyways Umass and Uconn won’t have FBS teams in 5 years.

We lead basketball in attendance and FB sells out every big game like Clemson. Nice to be big time. Glad we pushed a roof replacement through before this as a collapse like at the Metrodome was coming at some point.

Ridiculous ACC television deal supports the entire thing and pays for our teams to charter. There will be no one to play in the Northeast in football anyways Umass and Uconn won’t have FBS teams in 5 years.

We lead basketball in attendance and FB sells out every big game like Clemson. Nice to be big time. Glad we pushed a roof replacement through before this as a collapse like at the Metrodome was coming at some point.

I think it'll be a shame if the SUAD is three schools and the rest are club. A vibrant university offers a ton of programs. I suspect SU will try and retain as many programs as possible even if it means less $$ to football/hoops. I mean no one is going to these games in the fall anyway. All i'm trying to say is schools should try and become regional again in this new world if we're gonna salvage a total athletic dept vs a few programs that are, in essence, pro like teams.

Everything that isn’t football or basketball and propped up by TV revenue should just drop to club. For men’s sports this will happen immediately.

Outliers like Syracuse lax or North Dakota hockey will be fine.

Title IX has to go. But will it who knows I guess a few ladies scholarships is fine in theory but in reality the price is too high. Club is probably more fun anyways put the overall student experience first field hockey players don’t need to fly all over the place to play games in empty stadiums no one cares about and spend all that time practicing. The facilities will still be there too.

I’d love to see Lacrosse try and get more TV friendly season starts way too early and ends right when it’s getting attention. All the NCAA softball we get spammed with is ridiculous. Don’t play enough games. It should be televised nightly April-June because pro lacrosse sucks and is like the G league no one cares about it. And baseball will be hurt from this and the Astros scandal games too slow players make too much etc etc. Minor leagues will be a shell of themselves. I’d assume in turn NCAA baseball will survive. I’d just think a college lax game on ACCN gets better ratings than SECN baseball. Definitely would vs softball. Am I wrong?
Saying Title IX has to go and that women's sports such as field hockey don't matter is up there as one of the worst takes I've read on here.

Baseball and softball both attract more viewers than lacrosse nationwide. Lacrosse is definitely expanding but its still a relatively niche sport when comparing it to baseball/softball.

Numbers on tv viewership for this stuff is hard to find but attendance across the country makes it clear that more people turn out for baseball than lacrosse. The highest average attendance is about five thousand more in baseball (LSU) than lax (us). I'd imagine those numbers translate to viewership. With that said, I'm sure putting every Cuse lacrosse game over a Georgia Tech softball game on the ACCN would be good for their viewership numbers.

Last edited:

I don't see society changing permanently in the way you are seeing but perhaps you are the visionary here.

I don't pretend to know what is going to happen. I think things are going to be pretty much normal by next summer. I sure hope so.

This is a nonstarter in my mind. Travel is travel. And there will be travel (including air travel) associated with even a regional athletic program. There will also be travel in the post corona world.

This is a nonstarter in my mind. Travel is travel. And there will be travel (including air travel) associated with even a regional athletic program. There will also be travel in the post corona world.

I agree but do we at least consider the vision of why we are traveling thousands of miles for sports? It's pointless in the grand scheme of things when there are teams closer to the school. I think people need to consider the possibility of schools thinking this way and trying to figure out a way to reconfiguring athletics again.

No offense, but I'm not in agreement with anything in this post.
1586900062912.gif

I don't see society changing permanently in the way you are seeing but perhaps you are the visionary here.

I don't pretend to know what is going to happen. I think things are going to be pretty much normal by next summer. I sure hope so.
Agreed. A vaccine in a year or two is a real possibility. Until then, researchers and medical professionals will be hard at work trying to come up with more effective treatment options (a combination of pharmaceuticals and early intervention) that can save many more lives and dramatically bring down the mortality rate. I meantime, we all just have to be diligent about social distancing, wearing masks in any public setting, and frequently washing hands.

I think it'll be a shame if the SUAD is three schools and the rest are club. A vibrant university offers a ton of programs. I suspect SU will try and retain as many programs as possible even if it means less $$ to football/hoops. I mean no one is going to these games in the fall anyway. All i'm trying to say is schools should try and become regional again in this new world if we're gonna salvage a total athletic dept vs a few programs that are, in essence, pro like teams.

we wouldnt have 3 teams (i assume you meant teams and not schools?)

just because WE have a successful and historic lax program doesnt mean we would keep it d1... and if we are dropping everything else to club it means that everyone else is dropping everything else to club and you know what everyone else doesnt have? a successful historic lacrosse team - so we would eventually be the only d1 team left and everyone else would be club. but we would certainly be the best in the nation.

I agree but do we at least consider the vision of why we are traveling thousands of miles for sports? It's pointless in the grand scheme of things when there are teams closer to the school. I think people need to consider the possibility of schools thinking this way and trying to figure out a way to reconfiguring athletics again.

the world is a lot smaller than it used to be. traveling to boston is the same as traveling to florida.

Syracuse basketball makes enough net revenue in a year to fund the non-revenue sports (especially when they’re not being played) probably for years.

Agreed. A vaccine in a year or two is a real possibility. Until then, researchers and medical professionals will be hard at work trying to come up with more effective treatment options (a combination of pharmaceuticals and early intervention) that can save many more lives and dramatically bring down the mortality rate. I meantime, we all just have to be diligent about social distancing, wearing masks in any public setting, and frequently washing hands.

Amazing that it took this to get people to practice basic hygiene.

College football will be played next year. If not in the fall it will be in the spring. Athletic programs rely on football so one way or another it will be played.

Reactions: 007
College football will be played next year. If not in the fall it will be in the spring. Athletic programs rely on football so one way or another it will be played.
Football is THE cash cow for college athletics. They will figure out a way to get it done.

If that happens when will be college bball be played? After losing all that tourney money this year the ncaa desperately needs a tourney this year.

Football is THE cash cow for college athletics. They will figure out a way to get it done.

Unless playing is a health liability to the student athletes and a financial liability to the institution. People will be amazed at what reprioritization of core values and mission will do for universities in times of hardship.

Who knows if school will begin in September but moving seasons is definitely an option vs not playing at all.

Regarding football, it is an interesting mental exercise to think of restarting. Let’s say the games are played without crowds. So now the risk is players getting the virus from close contact during games. People of college age have a very very low mortality rate from this virus and so one could say that even if a handful of players were to actually perish, the virus is probably still a smaller risk to them than playing football is in the first place. The brain injuries the players sustain just from playing in normal times is probably an order of magnitude more detrimental to their health (including it being potentially fatal due to suicide or other complications). Additionally, college aged kids have died from other factors associated with playing the game (heart issues, heat stroke, travel related accidents, etc). So is it truly more dangerous or cavalier to have them play even if there is no vaccine? Statistically probably not.