Couple new JUCO's | Syracusefan.com

Couple new JUCO's

sufandu

Living Legend
http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2012/07/syracuse_university_football_t_124.html

Is it a good sign that our coaching staff will turn over as many rocks as needed to find guys that can contribute for us, or is it a bad sign that they feel the need to recruit less than well known JUCO's and get them on campus for this fall?

I'm asking because I really don't know, but I tend to be optimistic about our staffs ability to find overlooked talent. I like the WR's yards/catch average and DT's size.

a day late and a dollar short my friend..
Is that in reference to my question or that I started the thread? I haven't seen anything on here about Davon Walls.

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2012/07/syracuse_university_football_t_124.html

Is it a good sign that our coaching staff will turn over as many rocks as needed to find guys that can contribute for us, or is it a bad sign that they feel the need to recruit less than well known JUCO's and get them on campus for this fall?

I'm asking because I really don't know, but I tend to be optimistic about our staffs ability to find overlooked talent. I like the WR's yards/catch average and DT's size.

I have no idea whether the WR is going to be a contributor this year or not, but it sounds like we had some offseason injuries at wideout, and this kid is a deep threat. We need playmakers, so it will be interesting to see if this guy can get into the mix. But based upon depth considerations alone, I don't have a problem with them bringing a guy like this in, who in theory might be more ready to see the field sooner [as a JUCO].

The DT, on the other hand, sounds like a completely different situation. He's big, supposed to be athletic, and he hasn't focused on playing football yet as he was primarily a basketball player. 6-7 290+ with good athleticism = a nice prospect to develop at DT.

Pretty simple -- all good. Might have used an OT or a safety, but take the best guys who like us and have the academics.

Marrone's recruits at WR are mostly possession guys. Kobena is the exception. Not a knock on anybody, but we need a deep threat and/or a WR who can get yards after the catch.

As for a 6-7 290 lineman with a background in basketball, can't say no to that. Maybe this young man or Zion Jones can play some OT? And, if not, Shafer likes to shuffle guys in the DL.

Pretty simple -- all good. Might have used an OT or a safety, but take the best guys who like us and have the academics.

Marrone's recruits at WR are mostly possession guys. Kobena is the exception. Not a knock on anybody, but we need a deep threat and/or a WR who can get yards after the catch.

As for a 6-7 290 lineman with a background in basketball, can't say no to that. Maybe this young man or Zion Jones can play some OT? And, if not, Shafer likes to shuffle guys in the DL.

We haven't really seen Hale yet.

Bringing in the WR was great move, even if we redshirt him this year with the loss of Lemon and Sales and the underwhelming performance of West and Kobena to date we needed new bodies at the WR position. Great job by the staff to address an area of need especially now that the Funderburk opportunity has sailed.

Bringing in the WR was great move, even if we redshirt him this year with the loss of Lemon and Sales and the underwhelming performance of West and Kobena to date we needed new bodies at the WR position. Great job by the staff to address an area of need especially now that the Funderburk opportunity has sailed.

The ship is pulling up anchor and cast off lines, but it looks like it hasn't set sail yet.

... now that the Funderburk opportunity has sailed.
Is Funderburk definitely a no go? I was hoping it was still in limbo and it could get worked out.

Is Funderburk definitely a no go? I was hoping it was still in limbo and it could get worked out.

I was told it was all but over but based on what GO posted sounds like there is still a small chance. I would take his word.

The ship is pulling up anchor and cast off lines, but it looks like it hasn't set sail yet.

I would be thrilled if the situation did a 180 and we could get him on admitted and on campus. Would be great to have a WR of that caliber waiting in the wings with the losses of Lemon and Sales. Either way I love the move by the staff to bring this JUCO in, even if the player does pan out I like that we are at least trying to shore up the position. I think taking another JUCO in this class would be advisable as well.

I would be thrilled if the situation did a 180 and we could get him on admitted and on campus. Would be great to have a WR of that caliber waiting in the wings with the losses of Lemon and Sales. Either way I love the move by the staff to bring this JUCO in, even if the player does pan out I like that we are at least trying to shore up the position. I think taking another JUCO in this class would be advisable as well.
I would normally agree but we might want to keep some 'ships available in case a very large ship sinks in a neighboring state

I would normally agree but we might want to keep some 'ships available in case a very large ship sinks in a neighboring state

Plenty of ships available should that come to fruition, I wouldnt worry about that.

I was told it was all but over but based on what GO posted sounds like there is still a small chance. I would take his word.
It's academic stuff, right? Did he not take care of business or is Arkansas that far below Syracuse?

It's academic stuff, right? Did he not take care of business or is Arkansas that far below Syracuse?

I cant speak to what his grades at Ark were but you need to have the appropriate grades and credits to transfer schools and there are issues with that as far as what I was told.

I cant speak to what his grades at Ark were but you need to have the appropriate grades and credits to transfer schools and there are issues with that as far as what I was told.

This

This

Would you two say it's a case of delayed qualifying, i.e. having to go to a JUCO to get more credits but still with the plan to surface at SU at a later date, or do or die this fall?

Would you two say it's a case of delayed qualifying, i.e. having to go to a JUCO to get more credits but still with the plan to surface at SU at a later date, or do or die this fall?

You never say never but in most cases like this it ends up being a do or die even though as you pointed out it doesnt have to. Most kids who have a situation like this usually end up at a D1AA and then fall off the face of the earth. I guess its not out of the realm of possibility that he could try to go to say a juco for one year to get his grades up and then re-apply at SU but remember the clock is ticking and schools move on. So in closing I would say its do or die allthough if he went JUCO and re applied SU would surely still have interest, you just dont see many players doing that.

You never say never but in most cases like this it ends up being a do or die even though as you pointed out it doesnt have to. Most kids who have a situation like this usually end up at a D1AA and then fall off the face of the earth. I guess its not out of the realm of possibility that he could try to go to say a juco for one year to get his grades up and then re-apply at SU but remember the clock is ticking and schools move on. So in closing I would say its do or die allthough if he went JUCO and re applied SU would surely still have interest, you just dont see many players doing that.

Thanks for the info. Maybe they can push him towards Nassau for a year, him and Poncho can hang out :)

Thanks Jeremy. Hopefully this can put a rest to the Funderburk questions. It's a million times worse on TOS.