Couple of thoughts about Shrader | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Couple of thoughts about Shrader

Yeah, there was one play where the announcers were practically shouting that we had a WR running WIDE OPEN for an EZ TD -
but Shrader didn’t see him.

Our WR’s so seldom get THAT open, so we need our QB to see those and make the play the D just gifted you.
Listen the offense line newbies played out of their backside fantastic overall in general, but after re-watching it on those plays were he missed open receivers the defensive line just crashed right through if my 3 AM hazy brain remembers correctly.

I am not going to nitpick with what this kid brings to the table at this point. If he was just sitting back there and missing these receivers while he had all kinds of time that would be different.

Remember, Schrader hadn’t played QB in well over a year before he transferred here. I don’t think the Schrader you are seeing today is the one that opened up in camp (in fact I know it wasn’t). He’s gotten better every week and most likely leaped ahead in week 2.

He’s only going to improve over time. And as a reminder, improvement isn’t linear. There will be some speed bumps along the way, but I really like what he brings to this offense.
While I am in usually 99.99% agreement with everything you post, not with this one.

Everything I needed to know and see that we are seeing now was apparent from simply his measurables as well as in his highlight video at Mississippi State as a true freshman against top notch physical SEC talent vs what we had here in the position.

The slight improvement expected has occurred and, to me, it was a no brainer who would bring you the most upside, from day one as my PITA past posts suggested. LOL

Last edited:
I g
I am all for ball fakes..deception and so forth. I agree the DLine did a solid job defensing the delay.

I know there is no rule against this delayed run that WF utilizes. But I consider it unfair deception. Faking run amuck. QB and RB literally linked together..holding onto ball for seconds. Hiding ball behind bodies. Then the fake pass or actual pass. It is not truly a ball fake..you are just hiding ball from sight for seconds. I do not like it. Regardless of team using it. I'd outlaw it myself out of rules. I do not think it fair or entertaining.
What i wrong with it? It’s RPO extended. You can even it by bursting up the gut, but it’s clever.

We have to somehow find a legit #1 outside wide receiver who can run routes and beat press coverage. We had a couple of coverage sacks/scrambles against us. Queeley mucked up that overtime play resulting in the sack because he couldn’t get off the jam. They were passing to him Schrader had nowhere to go…Queeley couldn’t run the route

I firmly believe Alford is that guy, however, Dino demonstrated time and time again that he will stick with vets, who are less likely to make mistakes over more talented players with less experience. So Sharrod will continue to eat into Alfords time, because scared money.

What i wrong with it? It’s RPO extended. You can even it by bursting up the gut, but it’s clever.
First of all, Dave Clarson is a good football coach.
That said, you know what I am waiting for? Him to choose play a real non-conference opponent.

In the last 10-11 years, the toughest OOC game they’ve played (other than ND) is Indiana, as in crappy Indiana (not 2020). Yea, I said 10-11 years and one challenging non mandatory home-and-home.

It’s pathetic. Get a sack Clawson.

That said, you know what I am waiting for? Him to choose play a real non-conference opponent.

In the last 10-11 years, the toughest OOC game they’ve played (other than ND) is Indiana, as in crappy Indiana (not 2020). Yea, I said 10-11 years and one challenging non mandatory home-and-home.

That’s smart scheduling. Period.

Wake doesn’t need to challenge themselves or schedule losses.
Why should they?

The goal is a bowl game.

IF they have that rare season (like this one) where they’re maybe in the Playoff discussion at some point , then yes - the weak OOC will be held against them, a little.

Winning is ALWAYS better than losing.

So, scheduling to enhance your odds of winning is smart.

Will he eventually get hurt? I don't see how he can avoid it. The book on Dungey was "we can't beat him so we have to take him out of the game", the result being that Eric took more cheap shots than any QB we ever had. Some said he was injury-prone but the fact is that opponents were fine with any malfeasance necessary to hurt him. I expect that Shrader will be the recipient of the same dirty tricks before long. Hopefully his size will cushion him a little.

The shot that made him woozy in the 2nd half was a forearm shiver to the back / side of his head as he was going down. I was quite surprised there wasn't a review of the hit.

It’s almost like they would rather be 6-6/7-5 and making bowls every year then going 4-8/5-7 with “moral victory”

It only works if your line can hold their blocks.

That’s smart scheduling. Period.

Wake doesn’t need to challenge themselves or schedule losses.
Why should they?

The goal is a bowl game.

IF they have that rare season (like this one) where they’re maybe in the Playoff discussion at some point , then yes - the weak OOC will be held against them, a little.

Winning is ALWAYS better than losing.

So, scheduling to enhance your odds of winning is smart.
I am really tired of this all-too prevalent mindset. It’s rampant and exactly the reason why I am fine with the P5 breaking away. Only American sport (soccer isn’t a sport) I know where teams schedule other teams that are not competing at the same level playing for the same prize.

The test will be Clemson for QB running offense. Venables is great DC. He will put spy on Schrader all game. Will need to counter.
Agreed, Tucker will be accounted for, also. Adams could be a huge asset. The passing game will need to step up - both passing and receiving. Venables will not make it easy.

Yeah, it's ugly to watch.

If your line can hold up for 3 seconds or so, it's brilliant, because it allows receivers to get farther downfield into their routes, and it gives time for a hole to open for the run.

If your line can hold up for 3 seconds or so, it's brilliant, because it allows receivers to get farther downfield into their routes, and it gives time for a hole to open for the run.
Absolutely. That's why I wonder how well they would do against a team with a stud d-lineman.

Shrader is definitely our guy now. The scramble threat that he has is a game changer. The deep threat isn’t really there but it doesn’t need to be. Between him and Trucker we definitely have the pieces to build an offense around.

While I am in usually 99.99% agreement with everything you post, not with this one.

Everything I needed to know and see that we are seeing now was apparent from simply his measurables as well as in his highlight video at Mississippi State as a true freshman against top notch physical SEC talent vs what we had here in the position.

The slight improvement expected has occurred and, to me, it was a no brainer who would bring you the most upside, from day one as my PITA past posts suggested. LOL
You could see Shrader’s potential and Dino should have gone all in from day 1. Worst case Shrader should have had meaningful drives vs Ohio, drives 2nd half vs Rutgers, and earlier drives vs Albany. That made zero sense. Especially since he went all in after doing so.

my son brought up a good point, shrader may be able to call a play in short yardage situations better than the coaches. shrader sees the field and the alignments. he is calm, does not panic and is confident. i trust him to make the call better than dino

Since I started watching around 1982 or ‘83, I hold all of our star QBs in the HIGHEST regards.

For me, Dungey was as good as it realistically gets (for this program) during his 3+ years as a starter. We were blessed to have him. That said, for one Saturday, Schrader went beyond any of that. That effort yesterday was equal parts Herculean and heroic. We’re lucky to have him, too!

Now, let’s do everything we can to keep him upright.
I gave you a like for the overall tone, but if you've been watching SU since '82-'83 and Saturday's was the best QB heroics you've seen, you have either missed a lot of the best SU games or you have memory concerns.
Don't get me wrong, Shrader was terrific Saturday and I love the difference he's made to the offense, but Saturday isn't even top 10. Btw, top 5 or 10 heroic QB performances would make a great thread topic.

We countered it fine by just keeping gap discipline and not getting too aggressive at the the point of attack. Clawson had the look of a guy who got his crap figured out - lucky for them they have very good WR and a veteran QB

We countered it fine by just keeping gap discipline and not getting too aggressive at the the point of attack. Clawson had the look of a guy who got his crap figured out - lucky for them they have very good WR and a veteran QB
lucky for them we have dino

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom