Craft | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Craft

He's very aggressive. he's found a way to get away with endlessly hand-checking/arm-barring/grabbing/slapping/and running into offensive players without getting called for fouls. Not sure why he's able to assault his opponents with no penalty - but good for him I guess.

I think it goes back to the fundamental problem with basketball, you can't call everything. The folks that think Craft is great must have LOVED the 80's era Georgetown teams - they both played with the same philosophy. Assault your opponent on every single possession because you'll get away with it 95% of the time.

Funny about those Georgetown teams. On Gameday yesterday they showed footage of those Georgetown teams because they were known at the time to be aggressive defenders. Bilas made the point that Georgetown played 3-5 feet off the ball, which is nothing like the game is played today.

They really should have won that Wiscy game too. They were in the game playing well when their Coach had the meltdown. They are top tier B1G

As well as that Iowa St. game on the road. They are legit they've only lost to Nova, Iowa St and Wisci. That's pretty good.

They would be near top 10 next week if mcaffrey kept his cool at wisky.

Obviously Craft fouls like there is no tomorrow and gets away with it for whatever reason. That is not really my concern. I do not understand why the media praises him when, statistically, he has not really improved much in his four years.

Freshman year 6.9 pts 2 TO 2 steals 4.8 asts 2.9 boards in 29.6 min
Sophmore year 8.8 pts 2.2 TO 2.5 steals 4.6 asts 3.2 boards in 32.2 min
Junior year 10 pts 1.9 TO 2.1 steals 4.6 asts 3.6 boards in 34.1 min
This season 9.1 pts 2.2 TO 2.4 steals 5.1 asts 3.4 boards in 34.2 min

He has slightly improved in points until this year and everything else is fairly stagnant. I do not think our fan base would be happy with that sort of development over four years. Why is he such a media darling?

Obviously Craft fouls like there is no tomorrow and gets away with it for whatever reason. That is not really my concern. I do not understand why the media praises him when, statistically, he has not really improved much in his four years.

Freshman year 6.9 pts 2 TO 2 steals 4.8 asts 2.9 boards in 29.6 min
Sophmore year 8.8 pts 2.2 TO 2.5 steals 4.6 asts 3.2 boards in 32.2 min
Junior year 10 pts 1.9 TO 2.1 steals 4.6 asts 3.6 boards in 34.1 min
This season 9.1 pts 2.2 TO 2.4 steals 5.1 asts 3.4 boards in 34.2 min

He has slightly improved in points until this year and everything else is fairly stagnant. I do not think our fan base would be happy with that sort of development over four years. Why is he such a media darling?

Maybe it has something to do with him being the point guard on a team that has gone:

Fr. 34-3 (16-2)
Soph. 31-8 (13-5)
Jr. 29-7 (13-5)
Sr. 15-2 (2-2)

Won or tied for 1st in the Big 10 twice, finished 2nd the other year and advanced to the Final Four, Elite Eight (2 of 3 years) and Sweet Sixteen all three years.

People get way too caught up in statistics at times. His teams have been very successful, isn't that what you want out of a point guard???

Yes that is what you want out of a serviceable point guard. But I doubt anyone here would expect national praise to be raining down on any player with that stat line. They talk about the kid like he's one of the best point guards in NCAA history.

Yes that is what you want out of a serviceable point guard. But I doubt anyone here would expect national praise to be raining down on any player with that stat line. They talk about the kid like he's one of the best point guards in NCAA history.

If you told me that I could have a point guard to replace Tyler when he leaves that would lead the team to at least one FF, two Elite Eights, and 3 sweet sixteens and the result in the last year would be a TBD wildcard, but I could know that it would include a top 5 mid year ranking; I would say sign me up for that right now!!

I don't give a crap what his individual stat line or likelihood of playing in the NBA might be. That is right up there with our best 4 year NCAA tournament run over any era in our history. For me college basketball isn't about individual achievement, you can watch the stat lines all you want, but it is all about TEAM Achievement.

I think the other factor might be that people get tired of talking/hearing about the next great freshman (unless he's on your team). Maybe its a reflection of how few players play four years with good success anymore.

Who else is out there that has a track record like he does? Doug McDermott, C.J. Fair, Cleveon Anthony, Russ Smith, Patrick Young, Adreian Payne

Last edited:
. People get way too caught up in statistics at times. His teams have been very successful, isn't that what you want out of a point guard???

It's not what I want out of a point guard. It's called a "point guard" for a reason. Otherwise, they'd have named it a "success guard".

Give me points. To hell with everything else. :)

Maybe it has something to do with him being the point guard on a team that has gone:

Fr. 34-3 (16-2)
Soph. 31-8 (13-5)
Jr. 29-7 (13-5)
Sr. 15-2 (2-2)

Won or tied for 1st in the Big 10 twice, finished 2nd the other year and advanced to the Final Four, Elite Eight (2 of 3 years) and Sweet Sixteen all three years.

People get way too caught up in statistics at times. His teams have been very successful, isn't that what you want out of a point guard???

Ya I mean if you just want to "sort by record" then Triche & Scoop are probably two of our top four or five Guards ever - does any reasonable person think that?

If you told me that I could have a point guard to replace Tyler when he leaves that would lead the team to at least one FF, two Elite Eights, and 3 sweet sixteens and the result in the last year would be a TBD wildcard, but I could know that it would include a top 5 mid year ranking; I would say sign me up for that right now!!

I don't give a crap what his individual stat line or likelihood of playing in the NBA might be. That is right up there with our best 4 year NCAA tournament run over any era in our history. For me college basketball isn't about individual achievement, you can watch the stat lines all you want, but it is all about TEAM Achievement.

I think the other factor might be that people get tired of talking/hearing about the next great freshman (unless he's on your team). Maybe its a reflection of how few players play four years with good success anymore.

Who else is out there that has a track record like he does? Doug McDermott, C.J. Fair, Cleveon Anthony, Russ Smith, Patrick Young, Adreian Payne
Your opinion is invalid because you are a Yankee fan. ;)

Ya I mean if you just want to "sort by record" then Triche & Scoop are probably two of our top four or five Guards ever - does any reasonable person think that?

Because the point guard typically runs the offense and controls the ball more than any other player on the floor, I think people would tend to paint them with a team's success. That's not to say that they don't need star players around them, because they absolutely do, but it is a pretty well acknowledged concept that you don't go far without a solid point.

Your invoking Triche and Scoop is not an apples to apples argument. They both were a big parts of teams that had tremendous success, but Neither Triche or Scoop were four year point guards for us. Scoop was only a two year starter at PG. While Brandon was a four year starter, he really only had a point guard role for a small portion of that time.

I have always been a big supporter of Scoop because I thought his contributions were undervalued, but his teams didn't have as much in season or post season success as Craft's.

Frosh Year - NIT
Redshirt Year
Soph. Year - (Not a Starter) Sweet 16 to Butler
Jr. Year - 2nd Round exit to Marquette
Sr. Year - Elite Eight exit to Ohio State

Brandon played on teams with a higher level of in season and tournament success than Scoop and his tournament record could ultimately be the same as Craft's if OSU goes out in the 2nd round this season, but Brandon wasn't the point guard on all of those teams.

Fr. Sweet 16 - Butler (arguably the point guard)
So. 2nd Round - Marquette (Scoop Point)
Jr. Elite Eight - Ohio State (Scoop Point)
Sr. FF - Michigan (MCW Point)

Fr. 34-3 (16-2)
Soph. 31-8 (13-5)
Jr. 29-7 (13-5)
Sr. 15-2 (2-2)

Obviously the teams results are good. That is not what I am pointing out. The lack of development over his carrer. It isn't just him that is getting them far in the post season he has a good team around him too. His numbers are not bad by any means but the lack of progress and development is what really gets me. I just think it is either a reflection on him being complacent with his skill level or the team's staff that is not good at helping players get better. I personally would be mad if our players showed a lack of development over four years. No one can argue with the team's results but his personal output is not something that should be celebrated.

Obviously the teams results are good. That is not what I am pointing out. The lack of development over his carrer. It isn't just him that is getting them far in the post season he has a good team around him too. His numbers are not bad by any means but the lack of progress and development is what really gets me. I just think it is either a reflection on him being complacent with his skill level or the team's staff that is not good at helping players get better. I personally would be mad if our players showed a lack of development over four years. No one can argue with the team's results but his personal output is not something that should be celebrated.

I think you have a legitimate question. The one thing I'd say is that OSU is known as a defensive team (especially this year) and he is the face of that. But I agree with you, there are a lot of PGs I would take before him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom