Craig Bohl | Syracusefan.com

Craig Bohl

ImperialOrange

Living Legend
Leaving North Dakota State to take over as HC of Wyoming.

Why didn't a successful guy like this him get any looks from a smaller P5 program?

Why didn't a successful guy like this him get any looks from a smaller P5 program?

To me, this was maybe the best off-season HC hire in the nation. Bohl played at Nebraska and was the DC there. I would have guessed that he wouldn't have left ND State unless the Nebraska job opens up, which it may in November 2014. There will be other AQ jobs opening after next season as well. The fact that Wyoming (not an AQ team and not an easy place at which to recruit) was able to sign him is a coup for them and a head scratcher for me.

Frozen said:
To me, this was maybe the best off-season HC hire in the nation. Bohl played at Nebraska and was the DC there. I would have guessed that he wouldn't have left ND State unless the Nebraska job opens up, which it may in November 2014. There will be other AQ jobs opening after next season as well. The fact that Wyoming (not an AQ team and not an easy place at which to recruit) was able to sign him is a coup for them and a head scratcher for me.
Bohl got run out of Lincoln back in 2002. Can't see him ever coaching there again.

Was surprised by that too. But I think there's been less coaching turnover (at college and NFL level) this year than there was the past two years. Haven't done a careful study of it but it stands to reason if about half the major college programs have hired new coaches the past two years, then they're not going to need another one so soon. Also a couple of programs that should have probably replaced their coaches this year did not (UVA, Kansas, and Illinois).

Was surprised by that too. But I think there's been less coaching turnover (at college and NFL level) this year than there was the past two years. Haven't done a careful study of it but it stands to reason if about half the major college programs have hired new coaches the past two years, then they're not going to need another one so soon. Also a couple of programs that should have probably replaced their coaches this year did not (UVA, Kansas, and Illinois).

Next season, there might be a lot of AQ schools looking for a new coach:

Rutgers
MD
Illinois
Indiana
Nebraska
Purdue
Kansas
K-State (if Snyder retires)
UVA
Va. Tech (if Beamer retires)

Not sure why Bohl needed to jump to Wyoming so quickly.

Rutgers
MD
Illinois
Indiana
Nebraska
Purdue
Kansas
UVA

Perhaps it's a one year stay until something else comes calling to prove his style can work in D1?

First thing that came to mind: Wanted to stay on the prairie. That's why. Heyy ohh.

(Just called strike 1 on myself)

Maybe it has something to do with his recruiting background? Does he not have a good reputation/connection with schools in the area of those that need coaches?

I know Craig well. Became friends with him in ND and had a few fine dinners at a place called Montys in Fargo ,once when there were only about 4 of us in the joint and it was -20 something and a blizzard outside. The simple truth with Craig is that he is a teacher first a family person second and money is important but not to the point that it drives his train. They will love him in Wyoming as he knows how to spot and build talent. Expect the cowboys to be a tough out in a few years and expect Craig to keep enjoying his life style.

Rutgers
MD
Illinois
Indiana
Nebraska
Purdue
Kansas
UVA

Awful lot of B1G on that list. Another sign of erosion.

Perhaps it's a one year stay until something else comes calling to prove his style can work in D1?
I feel like all coaching gigs are "until someone else better comes along" contracts.

Rutgers
MD
Illinois
Indiana
Nebraska
Purdue
Kansas
UVA

Speaking of Va. Tech...are the fans screaming for Beamer's head yet?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom