Create "Tailgate City" on the Quad | Syracusefan.com

Create "Tailgate City" on the Quad

OrangePA

Hall of Fame
Oops.

I meant to say "create."

Anyway, when we went to the USC game last year we were amazed at the great tailgating in the middle of campus.

There were thousands of tents in the middle of the USC academic grounds around the Tommy Trojan statue.

I think it would be great if the University established a Tailgate City on the SU Quad.

The University could sell easements to fans awarding them a tailgate spot for the entire season. Maybe the University could sell food and drink to those purchasing easements.

I think that thousands of tailgate tents on the Quad would be a great thing.

With the SU Marching Band playing on Hendricks Chapel the whole thing would become I think a true College Football Tradition.

One day Fowler, Corso and Herbstreit would present Game Day from the Quad.

It would be great.

I agree...but the university is taking away precious "Q" slots from around the Quad. A change in thinking is needed from University Leadership.

Oops.

I meant to say "create."

Anyway, when we went to the USC game last year we were amazed at the great tailgating in the middle of campus.

There were thousands of tents in the middle of the USC academic grounds around the Tommy Trojan statue.

I think it would be great if the University established a Tailgate City on the SU Quad.

The University could sell easements to fans awarding them a tailgate spot for the entire season. Maybe the University could sell food and drink to those purchasing easements.

With the SU Marching Band playing on Hendricks Chapel the whole thing would become I think a true College Football Tradition.

It would be great.

Love this idea! However, where do you park all the cars?

I'm not sure.

I don't really know where all the USC folks park.

But if you were there this past fall you had to be impressed with party atmosphere on the academic campus.

I have to believe that something similar could be done with the Quad.

I'm not sure.

But if you were there this past fall you had to be impressed with party atmosphere on the academic campus.

You better ration the spots on-campus.

I'm not sure.

At USC they park on the grass in a couple of the quad sections and there are lot's right outside the stadium (which is adjacent to the campus). Others pack in their tailgate.

44cuse

The atmosphere was similar at Auburn back in the early 90's. Tents and tailgates set up all over the campus around the stadium. Cars were parked on all the surface streets and we had to park quite a ways off campus (in a church lot if I recall) and hoof it. Great atmosphere, just great.

Oops.

I meant to say "create."

It would be great.

Great Idea but never gonna happen, zero chance SU allows that on the quad.

We've been doing it for two years; no cars. Automobiles aren't really integral to drinking and enjoying a tailgate.

Would you be able to unload your stuff at the tailgate site before parking somewhere else?

Just walked it up a few blocks; never tried dropping it and then parking, but I wouldn't be surprised if the parking attendants were cool with that - no harm to show up three hours before kick and drop some stuff off.

It's pretty customary at a lot of bigger schools; it'd be nice if SU supported this kind of thing.

Oops.

I meant to say "create."

It would be great.

You said tommy trojan.

Oops.

I meant to say "create."

It would be great.
Yep - this is what they do at UGA as well - academic quads are filled with awesome tailgates. The people roll up early, unload their stuff and then set up while the driver goes and parks in one of the lots off-campus. It's a very cool scene and would be perfect for SU.

Great idea OPA - although I assume it will never happen.

That would require the Syracuse and Campus police to ignore the open container laws inside the campus. Highly unlikely. That was one of the coolest things about USC though. All the students were walking around campus with 12 packs with their friends. No one did anything crazy or disrespectful, it was just a social event for all the students, alums, and fans to take part in right on campus.

That would require the Syracuse and Campus police to ignore the open container laws inside the campus. Highly unlikely. That was one of the coolest things about USC though. All the students were walking around campus with 12 packs with their friends. No one did anything crazy or disrespectful, it was just a social event for all the students, alums, and fans to take part in right on campus.
huh? They ignore the open container laws now. In fact, I didn't realize there were open container laws on campus. I usually wave to the cops on campus with the hand that is holding the open beer can. In addition, in the quad, they sell beer (at least they have).

Great idea that will never ever happen. In fact it is going to to the other way before it goes the way you want. No parking anywhere, less spots to tailgate for this upcoming season. Unfortunately the university has the attitude of "we really dont care about the fans but please come to the games". It is what it is.

Unfortunately the university has the attitude of "we really dont care about the fans but please come to the games". It is what it is.

another person gets it. although some would say you don't.

huh? They ignore the open container laws now. In fact, I didn't realize there were open container laws on campus. I usually wave to the cops on campus with the hand that is holding the open beer can. In addition, in the quad, they sell beer (at least they have).
That might be the case for people tailgating in the lots, but I was more referring to the point I made later on. I don't think the University would be too likely to have theuir college kids walking around in the same type of situation I described at SC.

That might be the case for people tailgating in the lots, but I was more referring to the point I made later on. I don't think the University would be too likely to have theuir college kids walking around in the same type of situation I described at SC.
I am not talking about the lots. I am talking about after I tailgate when I walk up to to the dome with my beer in hand...along with about 15 others... up University Ave and through the quad. Lots of similar folks. In addition, I have bought beer at a formal quad party in the past where they had music, tents, etc.. I have never had an issue with open container on game day.

I am not talking about the lots. I am talking about after I tailgate when I walk up to to the dome with my beer in hand...along with about 15 others... up University Ave and through the quad. Lots of similar folks. In addition, I have bought beer at a formal quad party in the past where they had music, tents, etc.. I have never had an issue with open container on game day.
I'm just going off my experience and the way many students perceive the way cops handle students and open containers. I've been told by a cop that if I (or anyone that was tailgating at my house) stepped from the grass of our front yard onto the sidewalk they'd be ticketed for an open container citation.

I'm just going off my experience and the way many students perceive the way cops handle students and open containers. I've been told by a cop that if I (or anyone that was tailgating at my house) stepped from the grass of our front yard onto the sidewalk they'd be ticketed for an open container citation.

Probably an age thing too.

Yep - this is what they do at UGA as well - academic quads are filled with awesome tailgates. The people roll up early, unload their stuff and then set up while the driver goes and parks in one of the lots off-campus. It's a very cool scene and would be perfect for SU.

Great idea OPA - although I assume it will never happen.

If SU designated a "Tailgate Czar" who could cordinate these types of activities it would be cool. SU would have to relax a little bit...but I could see a Quad Tailgate option associated with a parking spot nearby in one of the lots or Quads. You could set it up with some good old military style planning with infil to the target area 3-5 hours prior and exfil 30-90 mins afterwards. The Quad pass would be a huge moneymaker for SU...sigh

BTW, the newest parking map for 2012

http://www.carrierdome.com/media/documents/2012/3/2012_Overall_Parking_for_FB__BB.pdf

If SU designated a "Tailgate Czar" who could cordinate these types of activities it would be cool. SU would have to relax a little bit...but I could see a Quad Tailgate option associated with a parking spot nearby in one of the lots or Quads. You could set it up with some good old military style planning with infil to the target area 3-5 hours prior and exfil 30-90 mins afterwards. The Quad pass would be a huge moneymaker for SU...sigh

http://www.carrierdome.com/media/documents/2012/3/2012_Overall_Parking_for_FB__BB.pdf

Pretty soon the parking will be dsignated to Destiny USA and people will be shuttled in.

That would be great and could be a huge moneymake for SU. Sadly its not going to happen, SU doesnt want a thousand people with grills and tents on the quad. I will be happy just to keep the Fine and Standarts lot in use.