credit card charges | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

credit card charges

longer than it takes to get an unstamped envelope back from the usps.

you still doing that old trick of hoping usps still sends the letter,it works for me 1 out of 2 everytime i try it

I got a new credit card two weeks ago. The fraud department called me this week telling me two charges totaling $1000 cash advance was attempted in Thailand. Had to cancel the card. Credit card company gave me credit.

have anyone of you fantastic human beings ever disputed a charge by a merchant that you never authorized? this company charged $2,000 on my card for something i was going to buy so i gave him my cc # to hold on to the items at a discounted price than he went ahead and charged me when he said he wouldnt. anyone know how long a dispute takes?
Call your credit card company and tell them the charge is not legit. Explain to them what happened, tell them you never bought anything but they charged your card anyway. The credit card company will then go through a process, which you may need to fill out paperwork for, and get you your money back.

Then I would tell your credit card company you'd like to cancel the card and have them issue you a knew one.

It is against credit card issuing bank policies for merchants selling physical goods to charge your card BEFORE shipping the goods - period.

If they charged your card and shipped nothing, it's a pretty simple case for their fraud department. They are in violation of merchant policy guidelines by doing that.

Oh, and for that amount of $$$, they are probably going to get fined by Visa, MC, etc. for violating that policy.

Ok, I've read through most of this thread and see some good advice, some misguided. I'm sorry but the above comment is simply not true. Issuing Banks each have their own policies so unless you know who the Issuer is of the OPers card (and are familiar with their policies) this has no bearing. Perhaps you were referring to Federal Banking Regulations (Reg Z) in which case there is still no stipulation that a merchant cannot charge a customer prior to shipping. Although many merchants may voluntarily implement such policy, there is no mandate set forth by Federal Banking Regulations nor by Visa International. MasterCard guidelines are similar to Visa's but not always the same and Amex does not have Issuing Banks so they are a different animal altogether.

Most of this is moot at this point as I understand that, Mr. albanycuse, you already completed dispute paperwork with your Issuing Bank, so I'll assume this is a Visa transaction. The paperwork was likely an Affidavit of Fraud, or a Dispute Form claiming "unauthorized activity". It makes no difference if anything was received in this case. The true claim is that the merchant processed a debit transaction without the authorization of you, the cardholder.

The 3 digit code on the back of the card may come into play in this case. Since you did not provide this code (commonly called a CVV2 or CVV) there is little to worry about. For a "moto" transaction (Mail Order / Telephone Oder, which now also include most eCommerce transactions) that 3 digit code would be necessary to complete a compliant transaction (in lieu of a card-swipe).

The bottom line is, whether this is a "fraud" claim or an "unauthorized" claim (there are subtle differences, including the requirement to change the account number for a fraud claim), as long as you maintain that not you nor any authorized user on the account authorized or participated in the transaction, you will prevail. The real question is not "if" you will get your money back but "when". Your Issuing Bank's policies will determine that to some degree. I noticed earlier that you mentioned that you are not required to make payment during the dispute process. I assume you mean you do not have to make payment toward the disputed portion of your balance. This is very common practice as the majority of Issuing Banks will only issue a permanent credit upon resolution of the dispute. Unfortunately the dispute can take some time depending upon how quickly the banks involved process and how hard the merchant wants to fight the chargeback. But, there are time limitations. You've initiated the processes with your bank and within a few days they should (if they have not already) communicate the dispute through Visa (if indeed you used a Visa card) to the Acquiring Bank. If the Acquirer and merchant wish to refute the chargeback, they will have 45 days to do so. If this does happen it's called a "representment" and you and your bank may have as few as 15 days to respond with a "pre-arbitration". Basically, the Issuing Bank has 60 days from the processing date of the chargeback to initiate a pre-arbitration. If pre-arbitration is filed, the Acquirer will then have up to 30 days to respond before you and your bank may choose to file for "arbitration". Arbitration is a final ruling on the case, by a Visa committee, that typically takes 45 days and carries stiff penalties for the losing bank. The vast majority of cases don’t get this far.

In reality, the quickest resolution would be a voluntary credit by the merchant however, once a chargeback is filed, that almost never happens. I would plan on at least the 45 day time allotment granted to the Acquirer to respond to your chargeback, but since your Issuer is not holding you responsible during the process there should be little or no impact to you. Good Luck!

Did you sign anything? I made the (foolish) mistake of doing this once when movers advised me they needed my signature and that management would adjust the charges later. Live and learn.

I've had 5 or 6 disputed charges over the last five years and all were simply resolved with professional follow-up by my credit card company.

Is this the same credit card that you paid last month by mailing the check without putting a stamp on the envelope?

If you're not careful Visa's going to be opening the fraud investigation on you pretty soon.

I thought the over under on Gottleib posts in this thread would be at least 5.

omg this guy just called me again trying to sell me stuff lol, he must not know i disputed the charges yet, and hes the regional manager.

Assistant TO the regional manager.