Cronin tees off on Big East break-up | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Cronin tees off on Big East break-up

Georgetown is one of seven basketball-centric Catholic schools breaking away from the conference to create their own league, which will begin play next season and retain the Big East name. Several other member institutions are headed to the ACC, and Rutgers leaves for the Big Ten in 2014-15.

"The fact that we're sitting here and this is the last Big East tournament is beyond ridiculous," Cronin said. "This is the greatest tradition in college athletics, this tournament, at one site for over 30-something years."

Cincinnati is one of three programs staying put - albeit with a yet-to-be-determined new name - in a conference that will play major college football and welcome teams like Memphis, Central Florida, SMU and Houston.

"The whole thing is tragic," Cronin said. "Nobody cares about student athletes. All anybody cares about is money. Everybody in the NCAA, in college administration, they talk about academics and student athletes. If people cared about student athletes, West Virginia wouldn't be in the Big 12 with 10 teams flying 800 miles to their closest home game. That's really conducive to studying. The whole thing is a hypocrisy. ... The money has ruined it. If I was a fan, I'd be very disenchanted."

http://www.local12.com/news/local/story/Cronin-tees-off-on-Big-East-break-up/AYLxqH4_PkOI8worTgBs4A.cspx[/quote]

Sorry, what exactly has Cincy done to create the league or continue the legacy? This is the program that will be remembered for the fight agaisnt Xavier.

If he REALLY wants to see the Big East stay true to its roots, then teams like Cincy will get kicked OUT and we go back to the days of the first 9 programs. THAT was the Big East. This league started its march towards this weekend when teams like Cincinnati came on board.

I know they are slated to go to the ACC, but things can change, if the conditions are correct.
yeah, im sure they want to pay 50 million dollars to fly to Iowa State.

Exactly. Freakin' hypocritical.

Money leads to opportunities and benefits for these universities, which positively effects academics and yes - Mitch's precious student athletes. This concept isn't exclusive to college presidents. It's life.

I don't blame Cronin for being devastated about it. But publically crying about it like he and the University of Cincinnati are martyrs while everyone else are evil greedy bastards is just pathetic.
Sports is advertising, that's it. The sports money generally stays in the athletic department, to pay for the arms race and non-revenue sports.

I know they are slated to go to the ACC, but things can change, if the conditions are correct.

Are you kidding? Louisville is going to the ACC period. If they even considered another opportunity they would be replaced with U Conn. Out of all of the teams in the ACC they have the least amount of leverage as they could still be easily replaced.

Sports is advertising, that's it. The sports money generally stays in the athletic department, to pay for the arms race and non-revenue sports.

And you don't think the universities benefit from that advertising?

How is WVU flying to the midwest any different than Cinci flying to Florida? The travel argument is bunk at this point because every conference has long flights.

It is easier flying North/South than East/West...trust me on this as an aviator of 22 years. During the Fall and Winter WVU can experience extra long trips to TX/OK. The Jet Stream can run 150 knots against the nose of the jet traveling to the W or SW. It can add an hour to the flight. Add in the one hour time zone change, too. The flip side is teams flying to WVU get a boost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom