Cross-Division Opponents thru 2024 (a.k.a. so much for divisional realignment) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Cross-Division Opponents thru 2024 (a.k.a. so much for divisional realignment)

Its basically trading Wake Forest, NC State for Pittsburgh and Georgia Tech. I think that is pretty even, and Miami, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, Virginia, NC State could carry their division in the conference. Our division would have a nice way 4 way rivalry among old Big East and the Florida State-Georgia Tech-Clemson bunch would have nice rivalry games.

i dont know... UNC, virginia and NC State are not good in football. I like the divisions from an entertainment standpoint, but we would struggle.

These are crossover games that need to be protected
Georgia Tech-Clemson
North Carolina-NC State
Miami-Florida State
Duke-Wake Forest

Syracuse, Boston College, Louisville should rotate among Pittsburgh, Virginia, Virginia Tech rather than keep it at SU-Pitt, BC-VPI, UL-UVA.

really? Duke/Wake needs to be protected? I can't imagine even they care about that game :noidea:

These are crossover games that need to be protected
Georgia Tech-Clemson
North Carolina-NC State
Miami-Florida State
Duke-Wake Forest

Syracuse, Boston College, Louisville should rotate among Pittsburgh, Virginia, Virginia Tech rather than keep it at SU-Pitt, BC-VPI, UL-UVA.

I think rotating between pairs might be good down south too:

GT and Miami rotate between Clemson and FSU
Duke and UNC rotate between NCSU and Wake

i dont know... UNC, virginia and NC State are not good in football. I like the divisions from an entertainment standpoint, but we would struggle.
I live in NC and trust me Fedora is building a team with a LOT of talent I see UNC becoming a perennial top 25 football team, and London at UVA and Doeren at NC State are good coaches. My suggested divisions would have balance, and rivalries.

really? Duke/Wake needs to be protected? I can't imagine even they care about that game :noidea:
All the NC schools want as many matchups between each other as they can and all four need atleast 2 annual matchups with NC schools to guarantee 1 home game each year. Duke/Wake have a rivalry.

I think rotating between pairs might be good down south too:

GT and Miami rotate between Clemson and FSU
Duke and UNC rotate between NCSU and Wake
That is an interesting idea each team should give the conference 2 teams that want to play in the other division as annual rivalries and play them 2 in 4 years each.
Coastal
Duke-NC State/Wake
North Carolina-NC State/Wake
Georgia Tech- Clemson/Florida State
Miami- Florida State/Clemson
Virginia Tech- Boston College/Syracuse
Pittsburgh- Syracuse/Louisville
Virginia- Boston College/Louisville

Atlantic
Syracuse-Virginia Tech/Pittsburgh
Boston College- Virginia Tech/Virginia
Louisville- Pittsburgh/Virginia
Florida State- Miami/Georgia Tech
Clemson- Miami/Georgia Tech
NC State- North Carolina/Duke
Wake Forest- North Carolina/Duke

There you go.

FSU and Clemson were against the 9 game schedule.

I think fsu and Clemson are against a random 9th game from the other division if it was a 2nd guaranteed crossover I think they would go along down the road like 2016 or 17

If they ACC just went 4 NC schools 2 VA schools Miami in one division and FSU, Ga. Tech, Clemson- 3 way rivalry, BC, SU, Pitt, Louisville nice 4 way rivalry in the other division it would be the best FOR EVERYBODY.

I have said from the start that failure to keep the 4 NC schools together would cause issues down the road. In years past, when I would raise that issue for discussion on various boards, the typical responses ranged from a smirking that everybody else in the ACC was happy that the NC schools got split to explanations that the only way to make te league fair was to split the NC schools (fair in both senses of football balanced divisions and no cartel in charge).

Now, the NC schools will never agree to be in the same division, with one exception, which I'll get to. None of the NC schools will want to be in the same division with the rest. They all are very happy going more places. The splitting of the NC schools was demanded by FSU, Miami, GT, and Maryland. The FL schools wanted that as part of their being split, and neither wanted to play more than 2 NC schools annually. GT and Maryland were obsessed with the power of Tobacco Road and felt that placing the NC schools in opposite divisions would end any possibility of their being a united block.

Once all the recriminations and demands went down, there would be no going back. The one exception: if ND goes full member in football and demands all 4 NC schools in the same division or perhaps 1 NC school in its division.

The divisions are not going to change until such time as ND makes that move.

If I mention that we will see ND more than we will Miami, will that be stirring up the pot too much? ;)

Cheers,
Neil

Screw divisions, just stack 'em up, have one or two protected games, and rotate the schedule. #1 and #2 in the conference play for the ACC title. You'd probably end up with a better matchup that way anyway.

If I mention that we will see ND more than we will Miami, will that be stirring up the pot too much? ;)

Cheers,
Neil
nd is a godsend.

why does Syracuse 'need' miami on the schedule anyway? because they beat the piss out of us for 13 years, when most of the board was just out or in college??

Syracuse plays fla state every year. enjoy that arsekicking.

Oh Lord

FWIW, as much as I'd like to see Miami and VaTech more because of the familiarity we have with them from the old Big East, I'm perfectly OK having Florida State, Clemson and Louisville as our annual marquee division opponents. If we stay competitive we'll have some fun tilts with those guys.

That being said, most of the permanent cross-overs are unnecessary. Waste of a game.

Agree 1 million %. Annual crossover is dumb. These 3 factors:

1. Can't do 9 games, FSU has to play Florida already and doesn't want such lack of flexibility OOC (Clemson and GT also fall into this category)
2. Can't put Miami and FSU in the same division, because then the other half of the league loses the all important games in the state of Florida.
3. FSU and Miami demand to play each other

That holds the rest of the league hostage to have an annual crossover and hardly play anyone else in the other division.

For the record, I feel like I've been in the ACC long enough to register such complaints. The day our move to the ACC was announced, they could have said we were only playing Duke and Wake Forest for our 8 games, and I would have been totally fine.

nd is a godsend.

why does Syracuse 'need' miami on the schedule anyway? because they beat the piss out of us for 13 years??

Oh Lord

It was only 10 years (out of 12). Doesn't sound so bad now, huh?

I'd prefer the VT game to Miami. But I'd still like to play Miami more than once every 6 years. Once every 3 would be nice.

It was only 10 years (out of 12). Doesn't sound so bad now, huh?

I'd prefer the VT game to Miami. But I'd still like to play Miami more than once every 6 years. Once every 3 would be nice.
they kicked our arse in '90...33-7, pre-bigeast.

id like to play miami more as well.

i like the 'drop the crossover' idea or a pod of cross-overs thinking.

nd is a godsend.

why does Syracuse 'need' miami on the schedule anyway? because they beat the piss out of us for 13 years, when most of the board was just out or in college??

Syracuse plays fla state every year. enjoy that arsekicking.

Oh Lord

I'm surprised MyKaiser that my post apparently flew right over your head. ;)

Cheers,
Neil

What do you think will happen when every conference expands to 16 teams?

Even with a 9 game schedule, it'll take 16 years to rotate through the other division home and away.

We'll laugh uncontrollably at UConn when they get passed over again.

Though by that time, UConn-Tulane will become a Tuesday night tradition.

Ouch, that is quite unfortunate. I really hope they add a 9th game or just do away with the annual opponent from the other division. Or better yet, do both.

For those planning for 2025, we will make our return to Atlanta that year. Maybe we go back to College Park again in 3025.

Agree - add the ninth game.

The acc will go to 9 conf games because the ncaa, in its infinite wisdom, will allow conferences to go to 13 game seasons, plus a championship game.

Even with a 9 game schedule, it'll take 16 years to rotate through the other division home and away.
Pods cure all of that. With 8 games you'd play every other school once every 3 years plus some more frequently (fixed crossover every year and one other an extra once-every-three years).

When conferences go to 16 teams you will see 4 4team pods.
Example
Pod A
Syracuse
Boston College
Pittsburgh
Notre Dame
Pod B
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Louisville
Cincinnati
Pod C
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Duke
Wake Forest
Pod D
Florida State
Clemson
Miami
Georgia Tech
You play 9 conference games, your pod, 1 other pod, and the team that finished in the same spot as you the previous year in the other 2 pods.
Year 1 Pod A vs. Pod B, and Pod C vs. Pod D
Year 2 Pod A vs. Pod C and Pod B vs. Pod D
Year 3 Pod A vs. Pod D and Pod B vs Pod D
Year 4 same as Year 1 only reverse homefields for the games
Year 5 same as Year 2 only reverse homefields for the games
Year 6 same as Year 3 only reverse homefields for the games

That solves everything and it doesn't take 16 years.

whenever the sec goes to 9 games(for there network ), acc network is up and running, or when ncaa allows 13 regular season games plus championship I definitely see acc going to 9 games

Pods cure all of that. With 8 games you'd play every other school once every 3 years plus some more frequently (fixed crossover every year and one other an extra once-every-three years).

pods.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom