Crushing loss | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Crushing loss

I thought it was a great effort. If just one of Battle's 3's go in and or Chukwu doesn't turn the ball over at the end, and it's a different story. We might be celebrating tonight.

I thought the play at the end was poor though. Down only two we didn't need a 3, let alone the 3 Frank took. I thought Frank was great tonight, but that was not the right shot.

All things considered, we gave a great effort and lost to a better team. We'll get'em next year... it sucks because I now have to listen to another year of smack from the Heels fans here in NC.

Well said. Yeah, Frank has a really strong 2H but I felt he just settled there at the end and tried to play hero. I’m sure the plan wasn’t to give up the dribble and shoot a 25-footer with 10 sec left. Oh well good effort but it felt we were playing uphill all game. The Tyus lifting his pivot foot and the Chukwu turnover were mistakes this team just cannot have.

Amazing comeback, but just a brutal ending.

That turnover by Chukwu cannot happen. Ever. These are little, simple things that cost us basketball games. I can't believe it.

Huge props to everyone for the fight but at the end of the day, we had this game. This one hurts after that comeback.

Defense was the worst I have seen all season, by far, for 35 minutes. Amazing it takes our head coach so long sometimes to switch things up.

Ugh.
I agree. What big big big guy hAsnt heard dooooo not puuuuttttt the ballllll on the flooooooooor. Wthhhhhhhhhhhhh. He does it alllllllll the f eing timmmmmmmmmeeeee. Do they not teach that. My modified b ball coach said that. He also said I should be a wrestler cause I fouled out of three games in twelve min of total time. Cmon on.

Well said. Yeah, Frank has a really strong 2H but I felt he just settled there at the end and tried to play hero. I’m sure the plan wasn’t to give up the dribble and shoot a 25-footer with 10 sec left. Oh well good effort but it felt we were playing uphill all game. The Tyus lifting his pivot foot and the Chukwu turnover were mistakes this team just cannot have.

The entire set got messed up. See MikeSU post in game thread.

We are 100% a tournament team. Unfortunately we may not have the opportunity to prove it although I believe UNC is way better than Clemson. We beat Clemson and BC and still a reasonable shot to get in.

Chukwu brings the ball down because his lower body isn’t strong enough. Hard to keep your balance when your hands are over your head.
You might be onto something here. Lost his balance a lot tonight actually on d boards. Interesting.

Wrong.

I don’t know. How could Paschal not know who to screen when he was instructed a couple of seconds ago? Sounds fishy. It’s not like we had a lot of moving parts. Everyone was standing. I don’t know. Hard to believe.

Instructed to screen for Battle but he goes with Frank? Huh?!

I know this loss stings but I was happy about the team making a comeback to tie it. I wasn't sure they had it in them against a team like UNC. I am more convinced than ever that we should be a tournament team...and that Clemson is not nearly as good as UNC. If we can beat BC and Clemson I am still hopeful. I don't think we have much of a shot against Duke but who the hell knows.

I don’t know. How could Paschal not know who to screen when he was instructed a couple of seconds ago? Sounds fishy. It’s not like we had a lot of moving parts. Everyone was standing. I don’t know. Hard to believe.

I find the explanation completely reasonable.

There is simply no reason to have PC on the floor at all at that point.

Defense was the worst I have seen all season, by far, for 35 minutes. Amazing it takes our head coach so long sometimes to switch things up.
Ugh.
It wasn’t so much that he switched - the press is usually a desperation move. It’s amazing that it was so effective at times at baiting them into rushed shots- but offensively we seem to play more confident as well - maybe they just feed off the helter skelter and just play more without thinking. The minute we abandoned the press we went back to craptastic halfcourt sets.

I thought it was a great effort. If just one of Battle's 3's go in and or Chukwu doesn't turn the ball over at the end, and it's a different story. We might be celebrating tonight.

I thought the play at the end was poor though. Down only two we didn't need a 3, let alone the 3 Frank took. I thought Frank was great tonight, but that was not the right shot.

All things considered, we gave a great effort and lost to a better team. We'll get'em next year... it sucks because I now have to listen to another year of smack from the Heels fans here in NC.
I hear you Jazz. I live here in NC also and still getting crap from last weeks NC St game, now tonight and Duke on Saturday. It was a solid effort by Syracuse against a stronger and deeper team with some excellent shooters and good coaching plan to carve up the zone on too many occasions. We still had a great chance to win in the last 20 seconds or so. It didn't happen. Our players gave it their all and were tired at the end. Let's regroup and get Duke at Cameron just like the "Amazing" game two years ago. Lets Go Orange!

He played a hell of a game.

I don’t think this team’s story is finished. But games like these, the improvement of each player over the course of the season, I think next year is going to be incredible. If Battle comes back we’ll be a top 8 team wire to wire. If he doesn’t, we’ll still be pretty great. The core we have this year with the weapons available next year.

Amazing comeback, but just a brutal ending.

That turnover by Chukwu cannot happen. Ever. These are little, simple things that cost us basketball games. I can't believe it.

Huge props to everyone for the fight but at the end of the day, we had this game. This one hurts after that comeback.

Ugh.

Very disappointing. But hopefully it isn't crushing -- the team needs to put this in the rear view mirror. There's still work to do.

and he's a horrible screener - get him out of the game and put Moyer in. he gives us a better chance for a put back. OB set the screen giving us another option. We score and UNC calls TO and PC comes back in. The fact that he was in the game let alone a major player in the design executed or not is crrazy to me.

and he's a horrible screener - get him out of the game and put Moyer in. he gives us a better chance for a put back. OB set the screen giving us another option. We score and UNC calls TO and PC comes back in. The fact that he was in the game let alone a major player in the design executed or not is crrazy to me.

True. For another discussion. The whole team not just him screens very poorly and this has been going on for many seasons now. The guards are a part of this too. Just frustrating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom